• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Nice Cab

duglynukem

Nuclear Advocate
Had a bottle of Franciscan Estate, Cabernet Sauvignon (2008) last night with dinner. This is my first experience with this wine and it was very nice. It is a beautiful dark red with hints blackberry and black cherry.

I stumbled into it at the grocery store and for $19 bucks. I would do this again. I did a search on this and the reviews were very complimentary.

I also read a review that called it a bargain for only $27 and called it a daily wine. I was wondering if this would cellar very well, but the review didn't mention how it would age.

I also read a review that called it a bargain for only $27 and called it a daily wine. I was wondering if this would cellar very well, but the review didn't mention how it would age.

That all depends on how long you mean by cellar...a year, even two is fine, but this wine was made to consume now. It's not really designed for long-term cellaring.

I just picked up a bottle of Wild Horse 2011 from my local B&M cigar lounge they recommended.  

Leese-Fitch Cab is a 10$ bottle that taste like a 30$ bottle- fantastic.

My favorite Cab is J. Lohr's 7 Oaks Paso Robles. I just bought 3 bottles while in FL. for about $14.00 ea. (about $20.00 in my area)
I once aged a few bottles. from a case purchase, for about 6 years and it was the best wine I ever drank. fwiw, up to that point, I hadn't drank much wine as I was never a big fan of wine.

It was the first time I "got it" about aging wine. The odd thing is that this is a wine that is not supposed to age well, so most likely a fluke. Napasmokes, whom I trust more than anybody, also confirmed that this wine is not normally known for aging well.
That said, I have a few bottles with over 10 years on them,now, hoping I luck out.

My favorite Cab is J. Lohr's 7 Oaks Paso Robles. I just bought 3 bottles while in FL. for about $14.00 ea. (about $20.00 in my area)
I once aged a few bottles. from a case purchase, for about 6 years and it was the best wine I ever drank. fwiw, up to that point, I hadn't drank much wine as I was never a big fan of wine.

It was the first time I "got it" about aging wine. The odd thing is that this is a wine that is not supposed to age well, so most likely a fluke. Napasmokes, whom I trust more than anybody, also confirmed that this wine is not normally known for aging well.
That said, I have a few bottles with over 10 years on them,now, hoping I luck out.
I "got it" quite a few years ago, but I am old so I have time. My sister married a guy from France and his son-in-law is a sommelier at a nice restaurant in France, the sommelier said to buy several cases of Chateau Plagnac ($8.00 per bottle), which I did. He called a couple of years later and said "drink it now", which I did....except for a couple of bottles. Big mistake, 10+ years after I bought it I drank a bottle and it was way far gone. It was really good when he said to drink it, but really bad years later. I have come to believe those wine guys know what they are doing.

MadMonk said:

I just had a bottle of J. Lohr based on the recommendation here, along with a ribeye steak and both were delicious.

I'm a big fan of Becker Vineyards "Iconoclast" cabernet . . . at about $10 a bottle it's an excellent cab and as a Texas wine, it's "localvore" for me.  But lately I've been picking up Low Hanging Fruit's cab at just over $7 for a magnum and loving it---it's not one for cellaring but it's a GREAT table wine.

~Boar

We drink an "everyday" brand called Woodbridge.  There are several in our group of wino's that agree it's a reasonably priced well made cab.

J. Lohr is a very respectable Cab.  Never had any of Boars TX juice but, have had Woodbridge and agree is is pretty decent for the price point.  The wife and I have been drinking Black Box Cab, it was on sale for $13 a box here last month so I bought 2 cases, and for the price point it is very good.  Also, recently had a few bottles of Ninety Plus Big red blend.  Apparently it is a blend of a bunch of grapes that hit 90+ points on their ratings and they vatted them to create this blend.  I have to say at the $10 price point it was very good juice.    

Black Box Cab for $13.00 - Wow that is quite a bargain.   Normally $ 25.00 here in PA.  For the price, that is an excellent everyday wine IMHO. 

cigars&coffee said:

I just had a bottle of J. Lohr based on the recommendation here, along with a ribeye steak and both were delicious.

Well, that's nice to hear. I love the buttery finish on this wine. I still have the bottles I referenced too. Gonna be epic, or make decent salad dressing! Oooph! ???

If I were wealthy, I would drink a lot of Silver Oak.   Excellent Cab.  

cookie_1978 said:
Black Box Cab for $13.00 - Wow that is quite a bargain.   Normally $ 25.00 here in PA.  For the price, that is an excellent everyday wine IMHO. 
I hear ya, It was a steal.  I ended up buying 4 boxes of 6.  I have to say I have grown an appreciation for it.  It is a damn good table wine.

While in Napa we went to tons of places, but the top two were Kuleto Winery and Diamond Creek.

This is the third time I've heard of black box can. Not really a boxed wine fan but I might have to give it a try. If it's not to my liking it can always become cooking wine lol.