• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

B&M's, bacteria, and me

coopsdeloops

Hello Brothers,

Just a question that's been on my mind. These past three months I've been the sickest I've ever been.

Massive head cold, December 15-January 7th. In bed for all but 4 of those days. Antibiotics.
Massive chest cold. January 14-21. In bed for three days.
Massive chest cold. February 3-February 10. In bed for 4 days.
Fever/Flu/Strep. March 4-11. In bed for a week. Antibiotics.
Chest cold/Pneumonia. March 18-Present. Been on Antibiotics for 5 days now.

While I'm aware that I just have a weak immune system, I'm wondering if bacteria lives and grows easily in B&M humidors. The big difference i see this year from other years is that I have a locker at my local B&M, and wonder if I'm getting bacteria/contamination via people walking into the humidor and coughing/sneezing, and the water droplets carrying bacteria to my stash, which is kept in cigar boxes, but still, probably gets exposed somehow (otherwise how else would it stay humidified?)

Anyways, I'm just wondering if people have information with this or have suggestions. Thanks.

Seems consistent. Once you're well, sit out from going to your B&M for a month and see what happens. Then you'll know for sure.

Flu, in particular, can live outside the body up to 48 hours depending on the environment.

Brutal 1st quarter, Coop!

Not wanting to scare you, but at least in the walk-in Humidors at my B&Ms people freely handle cigars (I'm just say'n). I don't know if that's your issue. Stay healthy Brother!

Visit a doctor. I bet you your instruments harbor more bacteria. U get sick once and they're there till u clean em

Hope you get to feeling better Cooper. Nothing a little (or a lot) of moonshine can't clear up in a few days!!

You might want to ask the B&M if anyone else that works there or frequents the location have been sick. There might be a pattern there...

And to broblues point I see people all the time picking up sticks and smelling them. I have commented in the past "your buying that right"? I get the blank stare back. This is where my wife grabs me and pulls me away before I can explain.

I learned a preventative to colds/flu from my father.

Every time I feel a sniffle or a little drainage, I

take a couple shots of a high-alcohol content beverage.

This method has kept me from getting sick in years (That and an annual flu shot)

Seems lately that I feel a sniffle or poorly almost eveynight and my rum bottle is getting low. :)

Hope you get well and stay well.

Dave

Not wanting to scare you, but at least in the walk-in Humidors at my B&Ms people freely handle cigars (I'm just say'n). I don't know if that's your issue. Stay healthy Brother!

A good argument for cello on.

Sorry to hear your health issues are still going on, Cooper.

Sounds plausible to me. One thing I will suggest is to go out and get some vitamin D3 tablets or drops. Without going to deep this vitamin (not actually a vitamin at all but a hormone that regulates cell development) has been proven to help prevent everything from the flu to cancer. but 75% of north Americans are severely deficient. The best way to get it is to go out and get some sun, your body produces it naturally when your skin is exposed to UV light. (why we are all so deficient, work indoors, wear sunscreen all the time outdoors) Good luck, hope you start feeling better soon.

While bacteria does like a warm humid environment, I think your B&M humidor is not the ideal temperature for bacterial growth. For best growth it should be at 30 for Actinomycetes and 37C for E. coli. As for people handling the cigars while this is true, you are more likely to get a cold form a door knob at the mall, an object touched by many more people than the cigar. I don't think your cigars are the chief cause of your health issues.

Hope you start felling better.

Cooper, while we are all having a little fun and maybe getting a laugh out of you, there was a good point raised. How do you, or can you dissenfect your instruments? Hope to see you come out of this soon.

I have found that I am suspectible to sinus infections when I send a lot of time in B&Ms with poor ventilation. The first time it happened, I failed to make the connection. But when it happened a second time, the pattern was evident.

I'll add to go ahead and start carrying a bottle of saline nasal spray. Look it up on the web, as some have a few additives to add to the protection. Salt kills a lot of nasties that get into your nasal cavities. Also, if you are one to use hand sanitizer, you should use it only outside the house. Once you get home, use it once upon entering, then use soap and water for the routine type hand cleaning, while home. You want your body to get accustomed to the regular "germs" in your home.

I'll add to go ahead and start carrying a bottle of saline nasal spray. Look it up on the web, as some have a few additives to add to the protection. Salt kills a lot of nasties that get into your nasal cavities. Also, if you are one to use hand sanitizer, you should use it only outside the house. Once you get home, use it once upon entering, then use soap and water for the routine type hand cleaning, while home. You want your body to get accustomed to the regular "germs" in your home.

Thanks MMM! I'll look into this.