• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Changes for Johnnie Walker

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Johnnie Walker will begin to phase out the Green Label and the Gold 18 this summer. They will be replaced by Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve ~ $65 (No Age Statement) and Johnnie Walker Platinum 18 ~ $110. There will be no replacement for the Green label as a blended malt (all malt no grain whisky) except in Taiwan where it will continue to be sold.

I don't know about you folks but the Green is the best JW at its price point. I'm going to have to stock up.

Bad news for some of my favorites this week. First I hear that OWA 107 is scheduled for retirement now Johnnie Green and Gold are to be off'd as well. Bad month for whisk(e)y fans

Not sure if it is a wise move to put a $110 tag on a 18yo blend even if it does have Johnnie Walker and Platinum etched on the label. Just more indication that the folks running Diageo and JW are more interested in catering to the Prestige of the label and perception than giving true whiskey fans a top notch products at fair prices.

Johnnie Walker "Keep Walking"

Thanks for the heads up. Will have to hoard some.

Educate me, Ray - how will the Platnum 18 stack up against the current Blue Label....?? Will Blue still be the better blend, and remain in the line...??

Blue Label at twice the price will continue to be the "normal" top of the line. There are many variations of Blue starting at $200 and going up to $3500. I, personally, have never been a fan of the current Gold and the new reserve is supposedly even less peaty so I may not like that either. $110 for an 18 yo blend is getting up there but it will probably street under a hundred at the discount houses.

Educate me, Ray - how will the Platnum 18 stack up against the current Blue Label....?? Will Blue still be the better blend, and remain in the line...??

Not unless you can hold onto them for a few decades. The Green is just great stuff but little collector value.

Is it worth picking up a couple of these for later?

Well it's a good thing that I only drink Johnnie Walker Blue... I have nothing to worry about! :p

Unlike AVB, I am a fan of the Gold . . . the Green, not so much. Might have to put a couple bottles of Gold on the shelf before it's gone for good!

~Boar

Unlike AVB, I am a fan of the Gold . . . the Green, not so much. Might have to put a couple bottles of Gold on the shelf before it's gone for good!
I'm right there with you, too. I haven't seen any green or gold in these parts, though. May have to hit up the big class XI / liquor store on base the next time I'm there.

I never was a fan of the Gold. Might as well chew on an old piece of wood. Honestly, I much prefer the Black over any of the JW products. Blue is nothing to write home about...unless you are in to buying something mediocre just for the cost of it.

Damn! I'm a huge fan of the Gold...place right behind the regular Blue Label for me and far ore affordable. Thanks for the heads up AVB...I'll definitely be stocking up on the JW Gold.

Great. I really enjoy Green. Guess I won't be drinking JW anymore unless Black is the only thing available at a bar or restaurant.

I was in a liquor store over the weekend, and there was a Diageo rep there hosting a tasting of a few bottles across the Diageo line. He had a couple JW offerings with him. I didn't stay for the tasting, because I had just come from a brewery, but I did stop to ask why they discontinued the Green. He gave me a story about taste projections and the JW folks not thinking the Green would be profitable. But he said they have since changed their minds and the Green will be making a come back. Not sure how much faith you can put in what he said, but I figured I'd pass the info along.