• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

first "real" cigar experience

whopper

big freak
I'm sitting here today with the whole family at home fighting some kind of fever and sore throat.  I started thinking about how I began smoking cigars.

On my 30th birthday my roommate had bought a couple of Habano Gold cigars and we sat on the front steps of our rental house and smoked them of course along with some kind of liquor drink.  This was the first "real" cigar that I had ever smoked.  I recall that I continued smoking Habano Gold's and then moved on to Te-Amo, etc.......

That was over 16 years ago.  The former roommate is still my best friend and we still share cigars and liquor drinks quite often all these years later.

My first cigar of any type... real or fake... was a Honey Berry Backwoods. May sound dumb but I every now and again like to light one up! Second cigar but first REAL cigar was a CT Tobacconist Very Berry that my uncle got at the BIG E almost 13 14 yrs ago, Every year we go to the big e and I grab as many as I can afford, THEY ARE AWESOME, they have many flavors, Its insane the stick tastes like a plain old smoke, but the SMOKE it self is the flavor, I kid you not its almost like smoking Fruit Punch. Though this may not be a everyday smoke its one of my favorites. You can order a box of them from there website in many many different infusions, but it makes it all that much better when I can only grab them once a year.

So,what are you smoking for a non infused cigar. If you follow Today's Smoke you will find an incredible list from the BOTLs that is sure to,give you inspiration.

I like anything MILD at this point, But as much as all you dont wanna hear it, my favorites still are infused sticks. Im sure ill get over it sooner or later but right now im hooked on the Java lines LOL

Well my first time I was pretty you and we got some monte that a frient brought back form Cuba on a trip. We were like 16 and tought man this is the life We tried them and well that was it...for the moment.

Flash foward to last year. My little brother brought me back some cheap CC and restarted smoking cigars. Me and the GF then wnet to Cuba on a vacations and I became a memebr here before to be sure I had good infos about cigars (I knew nothing about the hobby of the products). 
So I became a member here, learned a lot and I was prepared to get this thing going in Cuba. 

So when we arrived there I started sapling all I could find. This was my first 'real' cigar experience. Bought a few (okay maxed out the limit) and came back. I think the rest is well  documented here.
:whistling:

I was 12 yrs old. My best friend and I stole a pack of King Edward VII cigars from his father. Keep in mind they were made with Cuban filler back then. We smoked them under a bridge spanning the Moose River, while fishing. We realized at how effective they were at keeping the black flies and mosquitoes away. It's been down hill ever since.

Doc

It was my 18th birthday and my Dad bought me my first cigar. I don't remember what it was but I do remember that I enjoyed it very much. Fast forward 15 years and my Dad and I still smoke together.

For years my friends smoked on the golf course and i always turned them down because i grew up in a smoking family and didn't want to "die early."  I know that really isn't as big of an issue with cigars but still passed.  One day a friend of mine brought one that smelled so damn good that i had to try one.  HE kindly gave me one and I loved it.  Still to this day neither of us know exactly what it was because he just gets samplers and doesn't keep track of what he smokes.  The first cigar that i know exactly what it is that I decided that i should ask for a humidor was a Torrano Loyal.

My first cigar experience was with a buddy I shipped off to basic training with at the hotel the night before we left for MEPS/Basic Training.  We bought a couple of five packs of gas station cigars (probably Swishers or Phillies or something, I don't remember) and we smoked them all in just a few hours.  This was before I knew that you don't inhale cigars.  I was nauseas the whole next day at MEPS and I had a disgusting lump of a feeling in my chest and lungs for about the first week of Basic.  

My first real cigar experience came a few years later in a more relaxed atmosphere in Stuttgart, Germany.  I don't remember what I smoked, but a buddy I was deployed to EUCOM with at the time took me to a B&M/lounge downtown and he picked me out a CC of some sort.  When I got back to the States and he went back to his station in Honduras, he would continue to send me a different box of cigars once a month or so.  I've been smoking pretty regularly since that time.

Fuente Curly Head, sitting on the back porch with my pa', delicious. That started rolling the ball rolling, and quickly!

1st cheapie, was a Swisher sweet wood tip, in highschool, later at age 24, started with a Cohiba Red Dot Toro Tubo and a small "humidor" like 10 count from the flea market! It's been a great ride ever since.

C

I had a number of time smoking cigars, but the first "real" experience was smoking with some very close friends before my wedding.  That was when the lights went on and I realized what it was all about.  Then a few years later I got a small 50 count humidor, the rest has just been an amazing ride.

8 years ago my parents took my son to the D.R. for vacation. He brought me back a Santa Damiana #700 tubo because I liked to smoke the occasional cigar in the yard. Back then it was John T's and Tatiana's so a non flavored cigar was new for me. I smoked it one afternoon and thought it was the greatest thing in the world because I didn't know a non flavored cigar could be that good. It's kinda funny how much your tastes change because now I wouldn't smoke a Santa Damiana because they're as mild as a Mac.

Who would have thought that my son (6 at the time) would have started me down this road. That same day I did an internet search for cigars and came across CP. The rest is history!

At a New Years eve party, an older fraternity brother that lived across the street had a box of "cubans" that we all smoked watching a UFC marathon. After that fatman1267 and I would get cigars to smoke every time I went to visit him. Been enjoying them ever since.

My first real cigar moment was when me and a couple of buddies rode to the lake (sam rayburn in Texas.) I had bought a 8 pack sampler for us. My buddy tried to talk me out of my Cohiba, good luck from all the good reviews I had read. Anyway, smoked that one and another cheapy that night. That was a couple of years ago, now I have a 200 count humi, and setting up a fridge.

June 2008 in preparation for my wedding I was trying to figure out a great gift to the guys in my wedding party and my great friend Simon who was and still is a cigar smoker threw the Idea out to get a box of cigars. So we traveled down to Two Guys and I grabbed a box of Ashton Imperial Tubo's and he grabbed a couple singles as well. We got back to my apartment and showed the ladies what we had purchased. My wife was surprised that I bought a hole box to give away. Giving all the guys in the wedding party 2 cigars each I had a 5er left so we gabbed some matches and sat out on the porch and lite up a couple of these Ashton's and the rest is history!

Paul

Jonesy said:
8 years ago my parents took my son to the D.R. for vacation. He brought me back a Santa Damiana #700 tubo because I liked to smoke the occasional cigar in the yard. Back then it was John T's and Tatiana's so a non flavored cigar was new for me. I smoked it one afternoon and thought it was the greatest thing in the world because I didn't know a non flavored cigar could be that good. It's kinda funny how much your tastes change because now I wouldn't smoke a Santa Damiana because they're as mild as a Mac.

Who would have thought that my son (6 at the time) would have started me down this road. That same day I did an internet search for cigars and came across CP. The rest is history!

So now we know we have your son to blame... :laugh:

I had been smoking Travis Club Senators on and off for a couple of years and my wife knew how much I enjoyed smoking them, so for my birthday she decided to buy me a box of them. She when into a small cigar shop and the guy working there talked her into buying a sampler of "better" cigars. The first one I smoked was a Punch of some sort and I could not believe how much better it was than the Senators.  

So now every time a box shows up on the doorstep, my wife looks at me that way, the you bought more cigars look, I remind her it is all her fault I love cigars.

16 y/o, Swisher Sweets and Rum Soaked Crooks at the street fairs.  Quickly moved on to better sticks (Thank Goodness)!!!!!