• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Murcielago vs Ortega Bellicoso Serie D - Smokeoff

SkyKing

Several reviewers have mentioned that the flavor profile of the Murcielago, aka the Bat, was similar to Eddie Ortega's Serie D. It shouldn't be surprising. Eddie had a hand in blending both cigars, the Murcielago with Erik Espinosa while at E&O; the Serie D under his own label after divorcing Erik. Both cigars use the San Andreas wrapper, Mexican binder and Nicaraguan filler. Both were rolled under the auspices of Don Pepin at his factory. Both were originally similarly priced.

I believe the only distinguishing ingredients are the fillers. Both smokes use NI fillers but Eddie has proudly touted the Esteli & Jalapa, Viso & Ligero fillers he uses in the Serie D.

Tom has already reviewed the Murcelago http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/topic/73683-murcielago-great-cigar-at-a-very-decent-price/?hl=%2Bmurcielago+%2Breview. We agreed to smoke them back to back and compare notes. Mine follow.

I smoked the Murcelago first and thought it was an excellent cigar all around. Good pre-light barnyard smell; beautiful, toothy,  Capa Negra wrapper with an oily sheen and no prominent veins; easy light; wavy burn that corrected itself without requiring a touchup; good spicy notes in a creamy, thick bodied smoke; and a profile that varied unpredictably with surprise splashes of white and black peppers and yummy citrus-like flecks. I distinctly remember more than once saying to myself, this is a DELICIOUS cigar. The only complaint was that the ash on the Murcielago was a bit on the loose side, falling unexpectedly at about the 3/4 inch mark. One damn good cigar.

gallery_14568_1734_56187.jpg

Then I smoked the Ortega Serie D. I would describe the Serie D as being almost identical but more. The wrapper was a tad darker. (Could simply be the lot, since they were both San Andreas wrappers). The barnyard smell was there but more pungent; the smoke was similar but thicker, more voluminous; the pepper was occasionally in your face rather than the more subdued background accent in the Murceilago, the ash looked identical but was more firm, and, yes, the smoke was definitely more complex, especially the base flavor. I'm guessing that the Ligero filler added that little extra zing to the base. (I'm assuming the Murcielago lacked the Ligero but I couldn't find any details about the Bat filler other than it was long-leaf Nicaraguan.)

The Ortega D didn't burn as well as the Murcielago. It canoed a bit but a single touch-up corrected it. I've smoked other Ortega D's and don't recall any issues other than some waves. This was probably a stick variation. I doubt if there is a performance difference box-to- box.

gallery_14568_1734_84171.jpg

Conclusions:
I came to a similar conclusion as other reviewers. The flavor, flavor profile, burn, and quality are very similar. In fact, if I didn't know the Murcielago preceded the Serie D by a few years, I would say that the Murceilago was a very,very good Serie D clone. 
Both were excellent smokes; both were perfectly balanced. The Murcielago was definitely the better value. (because of the current sale price) Some smokers will like it better than the Serie D, as it is a more genteel experience. I believe I could distinguish between the two in a blind test but only with a fresh palate and the time to consider the experience.

gallery_14568_1734_68529.jpg

The Ortega Serie D and the Murcielago are normally similarly priced but the Bat can be currently acquired from Famous for about half price or less. The Serie D is only incrementally better - certainly not twice as good - as the Murcielago.

At these prices, I will keep the Bats in my rotation as well as the Serie D. I've already purchased a box of the Bats and several singles and fivers and expect to order at least one box more this month.  I'll keep the Murcielagos for when I want something stronger than your typical morning smoke but not as heavy as a brandy smoke. I'll keep the Ortega D stocked for weekends and special occasions. 

But when the sale ends, and I'm confronted with choosing between the Bat and the Serie D for the same cost, I'll lean towards the "D". I really, really, like both of these sticks.

In general, I like the Serie D a small bit better but there will be days and times that I prefer the Bat. In summary, I would say that Eddie took a very very good cigar, tweaked it, added a different blend of Nicaraguan fillers and voila! You now have a great cigar. I would almost say that the Bat gets an A-minus, while the Ortega "D" gets an A.  but even then, I feel like I'm overstating the difference. So, let's say the Bat gets a 92 rating, while the Ortega Serie D gets a 93.

But truly, if you like the Bat you'll like the Serie "D" and vice versa. You will want to try both. If you don't like one, I doubt you will like the other.

And just to stir it up a bit, I like them both as well or better than the Padron Series, aka the Padron thousand family. Both offer the same full, luxurious smoke as the Padron, with more variety in the flavor profile. If you like Padrons, I recommend giving these a try.

Pax

Nice review. I love them both. I use to smoke a lot of the Mucialago's. When the Serie D was released it became my everyday stick, replacing the Padron 3000 Maduro, and I go through a few a day.

Over the weekend I smoked a couple of Serie D's and a couple of the Murcilago's. I've come to the conclusion that the Serie D is indeed a more complex smoke, with a bit more going on in the flavor department. However, the flavor profile of the Murcilago is very similar, almost identical to my palate, but without the complexity and perhaps the depth of the Serie D. But for less than half the price? Still a great deal, IMHO. No problem smoking those, to be sure.

The Murcilargo's are super deals for ~$70.00 a box (25) right now.  If they were the same price, I agree with SkyKing - I'd smoke the Serie D.  But, for half the price......the Murcilargo's are very, very good cigars and will be smoked around my place often.  Just about gone through a box of the toro's, have another box in the cabinet.  Might need a couple more boxes at that price.....

Very nice review Skyking.  Can't wait to get my box of Bats.

UPDATE:

I spoke with Eddie Ortega for a few minutes and discussed the heritage of the Bat and the Ortega Serie D. Eddie confirmed that the Serie D was "much more full bodied" and the difference between the two was indeed, the Esteli & Jalapa fillers, both Nicaraguan. He also said that the Murcielago was a great cigar. I would have talked to him a bit longer but was afraid I'd start fawning.

I mailed him the link to this review and hope that he might drop-in and give us a few words on his products.

My box landed today!  They look amazing, I think I might have to try one tonight when I get home.

Nice review Steve, you nailed it. While the two cigars start off the same with a malty, creamy like flavor, they both quickly go in two different directions. The Series D does change in flavor as you smoke it while remaining pleasurable throughout. The Mercielago is a little more one dimensional (a steady medium plus body) for 2/3 to 3/4 of the way and very tasty, but then turns a little harsh towards the end to me.

Great job gentlemen, all the comments really capture these two sticks perfectly.

I think that Murcielago was one of the most underrated cigars for years.  I also think that the Murcielagos were much better aged, while the Series D are great right out of the box.  These days, the Series Ds are my regular smokes....they taste great and they're priced even better.

I think that Murcielago was one of the most underrated cigars for years.  I also think that the Murcielagos were much better aged, while the Series D are great right out of the box.  These days, the Series Ds are my regular smokes....they taste great and they're priced even better.

Look who's back :D

Bat Vitola Update:

I smoked a Rothschild Bat yesterday and a Churchill this morning, both with coffee. The last inch or so on all four vitolas I've tried exhibits a touch of ammonia. In some cases, it is just a short blast, then dissipates after a couple of puffs and I can enjoy the stick down to the nub. The Rothschild didn't and I threw away the last inch. That is about 25% of the stick. That would be only 1/7th for the Churchill.

Summary: I liked all the vitola's but the Rothschild was only a 30 minute smoke tops and there was no time to develop a profile. The Churchill was very tasty but the length was longer than the profile, to borrow a term. Neither offered quite the variety I like. I've tried the entire Bat line now, and I think the Robusto, Toro and Bellisco offer the best profile and balance. 

Has anyone had the Toro Grande?

In the too much time on my hands department, I did a comparison of the prices at Famous versus the smokable volume of the cigar. In keeping with the last comment I'm going to eliminate the last 1". Here is the result of my value comparison:

Vitola           Price per smokable cubic inch
Belicoso      $1.46
Churchill      $1.24
Robusto       $1.67
Rothschild    $1.83
Toro              $1.34
Toro Grande $1.12

After seeing Tom posting a box of the Murcielagos for sale, I decided to track these down to give them a try. I ordered 3 singles, 1 Box Pressed Robusto, 1 Round Robusto and a Round Toro Grande. I'm currently smoking the Box Pressed Robusto and I'm on my first 3rd and I must say that these remind a lot of the Illusione Rothchildes, I can't compare them to the Ortega Serie D because I've never had those. I should've rested this cigar for some time but I'm smoking it right out of the mail box and it's tunneling a bit.

If any of you gentlemen are interested in getting some, I found them here http://www.atlanticcigar.com/cigars/template-atlanticcigar.asp?brand=1890 while they aren't the original vitolas that were realesed, they are supposed to be the same cigar. I will be ordering some more of these before they are finally gone.

I noticed that the wrapper on the Round Robustos are way lighter than the Box pressed ones, you can see the difference when you check the pictures posted on atlantccigar.

This is one of the brands that Eddie Ortega took in his split with Erik Espinoza.  Eddie said in a recent interview that he'd be doing a relaunch of Murcielago sometime this year.

The Serie D No. 9 has become a regular 45 minute smoke in my rotation.  Not the most complex, but right out of the box they are smooth and enjoyable.

Snagged a bundle of Churchills... thanks for the heads up! :thumbs:

Edit...

I also got sucked into buying some other sticks I needed, and  wireless xicar hygrometer... :whistling:  :laugh: 

Aw crud. If Tom says they are good it must be so. Just snagged a bundle myself.