• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whats in your glass right now? 2013

Stoli and Tonic. It's freakin' hot.

Doc

Yuk it up if you want, but my latest fave beverage for cigar smoking is.......some ice, some purified water, decent sized wedge of lemon.  Very refreshing, doesn't mask the stick I'm smoking, keeps the palate clear and tastes objective.  That's while I'm smoking.... ;)

Monkey Shoulder!

Last night was Dripping Springs vodka.  I started with Bloody Marys and then switched to vodka tonics when I ran out of pickles.  :D

~Boar

Just drinking a Corona tonight, but I wanted to get a post in on the first page of this new thread.  :p

khari said:
Just drinking a Corona tonight, but I wanted to get a post in on the first page of this new thread.  :p
Khari,  you attention whore!!!  :)

Hey you ever end up getting that barrel?  I am still using mine.  Made a multiple batches of Manhattans, Negroni's and Margarita's.  All have been really good.  I have found you can use cheaper spirits and the oak really masks some of the roughness and rounds is out.  I had a 1.75L of Evan Williams dumped that in there with some Rouge Vermouth some peychauds bitters and some of my own cherry alcohol for depth left it in there for 3-4 weeks and was amazed, the stuff was unbelievably good.  

Having a Barrel Aged Margarita before dinner.  Used Camarena Blanco, Gran Gala in a 4-1 ratio topped off with a little Solerno Blood Orange Liquor for depth it came out ALMOST as good as the Margs I make fresh with $50 bottles.  

Anyhow, hope all is well.  I was curious if you ever pulled the trigger.  

Hey Gregg, I did get the barrel. I conducted a ton of "experimentation" with different ryes, vermouths, and bitters (I even used a few different types of cherries), and found what I feel is a good mix for me.  Right after finishing the testing I sold my house and moved into my parents' house, so I didn't want to barrel it at that point.  I just moved into a new house so I'm ready now.  I just have to find where my wife put the barrel! 

I'm really excited to do it though.  I'm inspired by all the different drinks you've tried and can see myself getting a few different barrels and using them for different spirits.

carddoug said:
How's the Milagro?
I like it.

It's one of the better profiles in its price point, IMO. I was drinking it straight because I didn't want to mess with making a margarita. For $25-32 a bottle I would give it a try

I picked up a copy of the book 'The Cocktail Lab' by Tony Conigliaro.  There are some really interesting drinks in there including an aged Manhattan.  I am going to be working my way through the book while weeding out the frilly ones...unless Breedy wants to mix his Milagro into some frilly frozen fruity nonsense!!!

knob_creek_single_barrel_reserve.jpg

Made the mistake of buying a newer bottle of Old Overholt. I don't think the addition of lots of Coke can fix that crap.

Friday night finished off a bottle of Woodford Reserve.

Saturday was a crazy flight of liquers.
Limocello, orangecello, honey and blueberry grappa, and a macadamia nut liquer.

I was out of the country last week and in my travels I ran across a bottle of The Balvenie TUN 1401, Batch # 4. A quick search showed this is not your everyday find so I bought it. Glad I did, very nice indeed.

khari said:
Hey Gregg, I did get the barrel. I conducted a ton of "experimentation" with different ryes, vermouths, and bitters (I even used a few different types of cherries), and found what I feel is a good mix for me.  Right after finishing the testing I sold my house and moved into my parents' house, so I didn't want to barrel it at that point.  I just moved into a new house so I'm ready now.  I just have to find where my wife put the barrel! 

I'm really excited to do it though.  I'm inspired by all the different drinks you've tried and can see myself getting a few different barrels and using them for different spirits.
I agree it is pretty cool tinkering with and tweeking the recipes.  Everything that has come out of mine has been excellent definitely fun to experiment and my buddies are always asking what I have on tap.  

Springbank 14 Amontillo finish, w/ 2" cube to help w/ 110 proof, tasty.