• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scotch Punch

tomthirtysix

Wishing I was as cool as Phil
As I mentioned in the Marketing BS thread, this recipe came from a really old bartending book my grandfather gave me. I used JW Black (I said Red in the other thread, but checked my notes when I got home) and E&J XO, which can be found really cheap.

In a big stone jug, combine:

2 Quart Scotch
1 Quart Brandy
1 Cup green tea

Add in 1 TBSP Allspice, 1 tsp cloves, the rinds of 6 lemons, 30 lumps of sugar. 

Seal jug, store in a cool place for at least 6 weeks.

Not having any stone jugs large enough for this, I scaled it down the best I could for 750mL bottles:

400 mL Scotch
200 mL Brandy
50 mL green tea
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cloves
rind from 1 lemon
6 lumps sugar

I threw that all into the wine bottle, and then just went back and forth between the brandy and scotch to fill up whatever room was left.

If you're lacking stone jugs, any vessel you can seal and store in a cool, dark place works just fine. Today is just shy of 9 weeks until Christmas, Plenty of time to get the ingredients together and whip up a batch for the holidays. It can be served hot or cold, I prefer mine with a cube or two of ice.

This reminds me of Chatham Artillery punch, but that's not made with scotch. I believe it has rum, gin, brandy and rye whiskey. The rest (tea, lemons, brown sugar, and aging) are the same.

tomthirtysix said:
As I mentioned in the Marketing BS thread, this recipe came from a really old bartending book my grandfather gave me. I used JW Black (I said Red in the other thread, but checked my notes when I got home) and E&J XO, which can be found really cheap.

In a big stone jug, combine:

2 Quart Scotch
1 Quart Brandy
1 Cup green tea

Add in 1 TBSP Allspice, 1 tsp cloves, the rinds of 6 lemons, 30 lumps of sugar. 

Seal jug, store in a cool place for at least 6 weeks.

Not having any stone jugs large enough for this, I scaled it down the best I could for 750mL bottles:

400 mL Scotch
200 mL Brandy
50 mL green tea
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cloves
rind from 1 lemon
6 lumps sugar

I threw that all into the wine bottle, and then just went back and forth between the brandy and scotch to fill up whatever room was left.

If you're lacking stone jugs, any vessel you can seal and store in a cool, dark place works just fine. Today is just shy of 9 weeks until Christmas, Plenty of time to get the ingredients together and whip up a batch for the holidays. It can be served hot or cold, I prefer mine with a cube or two of ice.

What's with the metric measurements? This ain't Canada ya' know?  :laugh:

Sounds like an interesting Holiday treat. I'm going to mix up a batch this weekend and get it brewing...thanks Tom! 

chiefmd said:
How does this taste? It seems like its not for the weak.

Definitely not for the weak. You're looking at 12 parts liquor to 1 part tea. The sugar sweetens it a little, and the spice and lemon give it that "holiday taste," but it's still a strong drink. Not what you normally think of when you talk about punch. The caption that goes along with the recipe says "A Highland favorite after the hunt."

I like it, Tom.  I am going to give it a shot.  I am aging a Manhattan combination right now.  I will put this one side by side with that one around the holidays.

...and the countdown starts. 

image_zps982fc59b.jpg

My ingredients were...

1) An old unopened bottle of Dewars scotch
2) Paul Masson Grande Amber brandy (found that in my liquor cabinet too)
3) Rind of one lemon
4) Six whole cloves
5) Half a tsp of Allspice
6) Lump sugar (7-8) from my Absinthe supplies

I thought they were just "friends".

ironpeddler said:

my Absinthe supplies

Do you still have the green fairy costume you wore to QSH?

Yes I do Tom....only to be brought out again at your wedding to your longtime 'partner'.... ;)

Sweet! Maybe you can be Clint's maid of honor.

tomthirtysix said:

my Absinthe supplies

Do you still have the green fairy costume you wore to QSH?

Yes I do Tom....only to be brought out again at your wedding to your longtime 'partner'.... ;)

Sweet! Maybe you can be Clint's maid of honor.

I already spoke to Clint and he assured me that HE'S the pitcher and YOU'RE the catcher.  :0

ironpeddler said:
...and the countdown starts. 

image_zps982fc59b.jpg

My ingredients were...

1) An old unopened bottle of Dewars scotch
2) Paul Masson Grande Amber brandy (found that in my liquor cabinet too)
3) Rind of one lemon
4) Six whole cloves
5) Half a tsp of Allspice
6) Lump sugar (7-8) from my Absinthe supplies

Six weeks and counting.... :p

I must say, this stuff was fantastic! It was the perfect way to end the Christmas Eve eating marathon!

Thanks for the recipe Tom, I'll be doing this every year from now on.  :thumbs:

We broke out the bottle again last night after a prime rib dinner...everyone mentioned how smooth it was going down.

Now that I've had more time to sample it, it needs just a bit more of a punch on the finish...I have to figure it out for the next batch.

Any ideas on how to do that?

What kind of punch are you looking for? Maybe some bitters when you're pouring the drink?

Christmas is 7 weeks from yesterday. Time to get moving on a batch of this if you want it for Christmas.

I made mine about two weeks ago. This year I substituted orange rind for the lemon and split the brandy with Drambuie. I backed off the cloves and Allspice as well, cutting both in half from what I put in last year's batch.