• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whiskey Glasses opinion.

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
I'm looking to replace some of my whiskey glasses and was thinking about swinging by the local Crate and Barrel to pick up some replacement glasses. They have a Glencairn Whisky Glass and a Whiskey Tasting Glass. Has any one tried, or can provide any feed back as to which one is better? I typically drink whiskey/bourbon if that affects your response.
I feel like this question was asked before but in searching with my phone, I couldn't find anything. Thanks for your help!

I actually have several. It seems to help with trying to recognize the "nose" of a whisky. Since I tend to like my whisky with a cube of ice, I reach for the rocks glasses more than the Glencairns. 

But of the two your vote would be the Glencairns? I also like dropping in an ice cube.

If it's the same unfooted Glencairn glass they have on their catalog website, get that one.  I have a footed Glencairn at home I break out for single malts, neat, but it's a bit smaller than the unfooted versions down at my local cigar lounge, and I like those better.

~Boar

I also do no use my Glencarin often. I find myself reaching for my heavy tumblers 98% of the time.

I can't say that I've drank out of either that you list here, but I always reach for a heavy and sturdy double old-fashioned glass for my whiskey, regardless if I go with some cubes or not.

I have a Glencarin Whixskey Glass, and like some others have said I almost never use it.  I find my typical go to is a heavy duty tumbler glass.

Hmm. Not the answers I was hoping for but I'm glad to hear the feed back. Maybe I should wait until the holiday gift sets come out?

I'm not sure how your question wasn't answered regarding feedback on the Glencarin glass. I use the glass as well but often go for a nice highball glass or tumbler. The consensus seems to be to use a heavier glass for daily use

Are these the glasses you're asking about? If so, I've used them daily for single malts, blends, aged rums, and bourbons for a few years now.

They're rugged, wash well, and are reasonably inexpensive. Occasionally I put a few of those soap stone rocks in a glass to cool things down, but mostly I drink them all neat. 

Like Jake said, they definitely help when 'nosing' a particular liquor...and they are on the small side, think juice glass size. But that's why I like them, I find I enjoy what I'm drinking more as I'm getting the double dose of smell and taste with every sip. It took me a while to get used to them, but now that's all I use.

Plus, I usually drink more than one different scotch or rum at a time...so the smaller size works perfect for me in that regard. I can pour 3 fingers in one of them at a time and still drink 3-4 different versions and still keep my faculties about me so I can enjoy the cigar I'm smoking. 

I have stemmed and unstemmed.   I prefer the unstemmed.  I usually only use them when friends come by for a cigar.  When I am smoking alone, I have a larger glass tumbler that I use. 

I, also, prefer not to have a stem on my glass. I use an old fashioned, but after reading this I will have to see if I notice a difference. Thanks.

I also like tumblers myself, but I tend to prefer the lighter ones. Any benefit to the heavier ones?

sar127 said:
I also like tumblers myself, but I tend to prefer the lighter ones. Any benefit to the heavier ones?

Yeah, some guys call it 'exercise'.  :laugh:
thefatguy said:
I, also, prefer not to have a stem on my glass. I use an old fashioned, but after reading this I will have to see if I notice a difference. Thanks.

What the hell are you talking about Ian?...what Old Fashion glass? You drink out of a vessel that is just short of a small drum when I see you drink!

... they definitely help when 'nosing' a particular liquor...and they are on the small side, think juice glass size. But that's why I like them, I find I enjoy what I'm drinking more as I'm getting the double dose of smell and taste with every sip.
I use the Glencairn glasses when drinking for the same reasons. I like them. If you want to add ice or want a "large" drink, then a tumbler is probably better, though.

I use the Riedel Sommeliers when I'm having a dram in the house.  If I'm out on the deck (where there are more ways for me to possibly drop and break a glass) I used a rocks glass.   I like the Riedel alot, and imagine the Glencairn is of similar quality. 

My wife has some good stemless Bordeaux glasses, forget the brand, but I've had excellent results with them for nosing. Drinking obviously takes care of itself.
Normally, though, I'm a sucker for crystal tumblers.

I've found that Wild Turkey can be swigged right out of the bottle, eliminating the necessity of elaborate and expensive glassware.  

That is all..... :p

BlindedByScience said:
I've found that Wild Turkey can be swigged right out of the bottle, eliminating the necessity of elaborate and expensive glassware.  

That is all..... :p

I'm sure CSI New Jersey can pull a few lip prints off the bottle of Wild Turkey 101 that has remained dormant since his last visit.  :laugh: