• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padrón Puros Gold (50th Anniversary)

whylieineedacigar said:
Buy a box and forget about them for 20 years :D
Have you smoked many aged top shelf Padrons? I'd love to hear which ones, how old, and what you thought of them. Also, if you tried them at intervals and the changes that you experienced. I have, and would love to hear someone elses experience. 

edit to add: Hell yeah I'm waiting to see how these are!

MadMonk said:

Have you smoked many aged top shelf Padrons? I'd love to hear which ones, how old, and what you thought of them. Also, if you tried them at intervals and the changes that you experienced. I have, and would love to hear someone elses experience. 

I haven't. Only had one and it was a 1926 No. 9 from 2007, I smoked it at the end of 2012 for new years and the profile was almost the same as current ones but a bit smoother and complex. The current ones I pick up more of chocolate and coffee as the dominant flavors, the aged one was more woody, nuttier and creamier but that could have been because of the cedar it has picked up from my humidor during those years. I also have a box of 2000 Maduros from the beginning of 2012 and they also seems to have gotten better with time (not top shelf of course, but those are the oldest Padrons I currently own). My current stock of 1926's and 1964's are from the end of 2012.

Edited for spelling.

Oh boy, since the 3000 is my go to and I truly Enjoy them, I know I'm going to get some. Hope the price point isn't a major issue.

MadMonk said:

I bought some Milleniums and they were really bad.  I could only smoke two.   I've heard some folks say the upper end Padron really don't age well, the flavors just lighten.  I think the lower end ones can use some age.

Edit to fix spelling.

I agree, no sense in aging Padrons. They are in the best smoking form they're gonna achieve when you buy 'em.

I bought some Milleniums and they were really bad.  I could only smoke two.  

Sorry to hear that.  I've been fortunate enough to lay my hands on several (and I have one left).  Shared some with two good friends a couple years ago, both very experienced cigar smokers.  We all agreed they were some of the most extraordinary cigars we've ever smoked.  I've heard rumors about what's going into the 50th sticks...they could be even better.

Well, if they are stupid money expensive, I say we do a box split, and draw names for the box?

You read my mind..... :cool:  I have no interest in the humidor they are going to come in, but the sticks are another issue; I'm very interested in them....or at least some of them.

Ummm....if this is the pre-sign up thread.....I'm in.

Edited for formatting reasons.

So are these going to be the new Millenniums?  Regardless of price, looking forward to trying these cigars.  If they are anything close to what their family has put out in the past, they will be spectacular smokes.  

As for aging Padrons...I think it is pretty much consensus on CP that the x000 series benefits from some age, but like Mike (whylieineedacigar), I find that the premium Padron cigars (I'm only talking about the maduros here, not enough experience w/the naturals) do get a bit milder a more complex with age.  The heavy coffee and chocolate flavors while present, are nowhere near as dominant anymore and more subtle wood notes and even pepper come through.  The flavors are not as bold, but the cigar does seem more complex.  

thechenman said:
So are these going to be the new Millenniums?  Regardless of price, looking forward to trying these cigars.  If they are anything close to what their family has put out in the past, they will be spectacular smokes.  

As for aging Padrons...I think it is pretty much consensus on CP that the x000 series benefits from some age, but like Mike (whylieineedacigar), I find that the premium Padron cigars (I'm only talking about the maduros here, not enough experience w/the naturals) do get a bit milder a more complex with age.  The heavy coffee and chocolate flavors while present, are nowhere near as dominant anymore and more subtle wood notes and even pepper come through.  The flavors are not as bold, but the cigar does seem more complex.  
Agree 100%.  The x000 series benefits from some nap time, but the 64's / 26's / 40th's / 80th's / FR's do not.  They are nicely aged by the Padron family, more aging doesn't seem to improve them.  Quite the contrary, IMHO.

Agree with you 100% Dave.

When I said let's get these and keep them for 20 years, I didn't mean to imply that they will get better with age or that they needed aging to be better. I was just saying it as if they were going to be a very limited one-time release, then it would be nice to hold on to some of these.