• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trinidad Robusto T Review

emoshun

SoCal Herfin'
Trinidad Robusto T
Origin : Cuba
Format : Robusto
Size : 4.8 x 50
Ring : 50
Box Code: AGR-NOV-10

photo-1_zps78663ba7.jpg

Pre Light Draw There's toasted graham cracker, almost biscuity with hints of sweet grain and wheat. Draw is more open than any other CC I've had, which tells me I'm going to have to "sip" this bad boy.

photo-3_zps438f73d5.jpg

The pigtail cap is done rather well, yet I only counted 2 layers that finished this cap which is common from what I can tell.

photo-2_zpsa9f185f9.jpg

1st Third - Draw is perfect, open where you control with every draw. I'm gently sipping the cigar the smoke is so great, it billows out in rolling clouds that are just a fun sight to watch unfold and disappear. Burn is excellent, slowly moving the length of the cigar as the ash forms and holds on quite nicely.

Here's a short glance at the entire cigar.   (turn on HD and let it load)

photo-4_zpsfcea5679.jpg

2nd Third - Smoke remains cool and sweet. The sweet tobacco and spice has now prevailed and is palpable, you can roll the smoke around in your mouth and taste it, bready, thick, and bold never overpowering. The different spices are coming to the surface, each one giving way to the next in a dance that excites. Not toking this quick is very hard, you want to taste it more but you know letting it rest will provide better results further in. Small draws are the key to this smoke, while you certainly could rip a nice long pull with the draw being what it is, patience will payoff.

photo-5_zpsc58cf237.jpg

The retro hale is pleasing with an abundance of nuttiness and hints of star anise. The maturity of the tobacco is very apparent as there is no "greenness" to this smoke. Being only 4 years old I know that with time it will continue to develop, but from what I can tell during this review they are good to go.

Final Third - The strength has come center stage at this point. Not overpowering, has a certain finesse that comes from a perfectly blended maker like Trinidad. Here is the main difference between CC's and NC's, the fullness of the smoke is refined, never harsh/over done. Burn is still impressing as any irregularities are quickly fixed with a lil rest.

photo-6_zpsac18fe80.jpg

At this point the sun has broken from the clouds on the horizon and it too is showing its strength as the cool of the morning has given way to its warmth. The buttery tobacco is matched with a perfectly balanced pepper and wood. I think about those that choose to smoke infused sticks, and how they miss out on these nuances by selecting flavors not inherent to the tobacco itself. To each their own I guess...

Malty undertones fold into the spicy retro hale as layers of leathery tobacco continue to roll over my palate. Velvety toasted almond and nutmeg are inlaid within the smoke, ever so subtly. You really have to "sip" these cigars to extract flavors that will reward you. There is no bitterness as I burn past where the band resided, you must allow the stick to develop and not force the cake like layers of ash to appear, stacked perfectly atop each other.

The smoke is warm at this point, with a tinge of citrus fruit that provides gentle acidity that mates well with my cup of Peet's Espresso Forté.
Fragile flavors combined to produce a robust mouth feel, the warm thick smoke rewards patience afforded to this smoke. No real blast of "Vitamin N" here, but very emboldened nevertheless.

photo-7_zpsc8a38bd1.jpg

Savoring the nub as I can barely hold on wishing my mitts were more dainty, or at least able to ignore the burning of the fingertips.

photo-8_zps841c54b8.jpg

Overall this was a elegant smoke that I had been looking forward to reviewing. I can imagine that with more rest it will only magnify the notes that were produced from this flavor laden stick. Curious how the Reyes compares to the T as I know it's a favorite among others.

Thanks guys!

C was your draw really open? I think this was the most open CC I've ever had, not in a bad way I was just impressed.

Jimmy I'm liking your reviews brother and great pics too. I enjoy these as well.

ETA: Videos too!

I'll send you a Reyes once I order another box. I can't bring myself to open the one I have now.

My draw was nice, just right, it was super open in comparison to most CC's.

Exceptional review!

I always taste sweet flowery tea when I smoke these , and was wondering if you remember any similar flavors?

Thank you Bill, and I do remember sweet floral notes towards the end of the first third but they were so fleeting.

As far as tea like, this stick was rich and buttery smooth, which probably drowned out the tea notes or I just didn't pick up on them.

There's always next time!

Backslide said:
I'll send you a Reyes once I order another box. I can't bring myself to open the one I have now.

Sounds good Jason :thumbs:

I too prefer the Reyes over these.............well actually I prefer the 1998 Fundadores above all these, but these Robustos are great as well.

Nice review.

Brother, I had one of these from 09 (an OR) and it was one of my favorites as well, thanks for your review. It brought me back to smoking that cigar and handing my friend a RASS. Long ashes my friend.

CigSid said:
Exceptional review!

I always taste sweet flowery tea when I smoke these , and was wondering if you remember any similar flavors?
Bill...I'm with you on this.  With good Trinis, I always get a flowery tea note.  Not always sweet, but it definitely has that herbal sensation you get from quality asian tea.  That's the single reason I pay these ridiculous Trini prices.  I do have to say that I get this note on a more pronounced level with the larger ring gauged Trinidads.    

Great review.
I received one of these from CigSid in a very lopsided trade and plan to burn it today.

Capt J said:
Great review.
I received one of these from CigSid in a very lopsided trade and plan to burn it today.
Very nice J! Let us know how you like it...