• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Tat Black "Jar"

modo22

So I am a tat whore.  I get it.  I don't chase everything like I used to.  But I spend alot through out the year on Pete's stuff.  It just fits my pallet and I love most of his creations.  I loved the original black CGs.  Never got a jar, very disappointed about that.  So when I knew he was releasing the next jar I was pumped, set aside a budget for it and put my order in in November....dork I know.  Plus I really didnt need to as he released plenty to go around this time...10,000 I think.

Now let me start by saying I DID NOT expect a ceramic jar again. With the way things are today, I did not have my hopes high for that.  BUT I expected more than just plastic!  I mean C'mon man!!  Plastic "jar"??  At least use something more creative than plastic, I mean plastic...we are talking about plastic??

It is truly about the smokes, and I am a big fan.  I had the new black CG release last fall and really enjoyed it.  But still I don't get why I had any expectations for something better with the jar.  But I can say it is a nice looking plastic container with a nice seal.  Just thought I'd share so everyone can judge for themselves.

gallery_9822_1774_177571.jpg

gallery_9822_1774_42845.jpg

I hope the plastic is truly inert. I was on the fence with spending money on smokes. We'll see. 

MadMonk said:
I hope the plastic is truly inert. I was on the fence with spending money on smokes. We'll see. 
Not being biased, but the smokes really are great!  The PL's were pretty good in my opinion, but these are better and hit the spot with me.  Not a flop like the tubos a few years ago.

I had a recent jar stick today. <br /><br />Very nice smoke. Consistent flavor and a good draw. Not overpowering. The blend seemed lighter - could be a little change in the filler or leaf...or just the crop. <br /><br />Good smoke overall.

Yeah!...... I guess it just doesn't seem the same as the ceramic jars huh? I remember Pete telling me what a pain in the ass those jars he had made in China were for him. Maybe that's why he went a different route this time. I'm sure the plastic is inert since it requires no lacquer and is like a mini coolidor. 

I still want to know when I get to "refill" my original jar like Pete said we would.

I see the point here...$200 for 19 cigars in a plastic case. Pretty cheesy. As for thinking 'the plastic is inert'...also being made in China, I for one wouldn't think that's a given. Yeah, the plant ran a different inert resin to make Pete's new jar creation! OK.  :laugh:

Did they wrap the inside with some thin cedar at least?...in cello with foil as usual? 

ironpeddler said:
I see the point here...$200 for 19 cigars in a plastic case. Pretty cheesy. As for thinking 'the plastic is inert'...also being made in China, I for one wouldn't think that's a given. Yeah, the plant ran a different inert resin to make Pete's new jar creation! OK.  :laugh:

Did they wrap the inside with some thin cedar at least?...in cello with foil as usual? 
I'll check on the cedar.  I opened it for a second before I got to busy.  I did see some temp foam to keep it from bouncing around in shipping?  But it was wrapped in the foil and had a bovida pack in their.  But it seals nice.  I'll check on the cedar, didn't smell anything.

ETA: no cedar.

I picked up a jar of these.  I wish you could just get the bundles they were selling without the jar.  However, the same price - so I have a herf humi now.

Check Pete's FB page, evidently others are commenting on the plastic used in the new jar as he's joking about its content.

ironpeddler said:
Check Pete's FB page, evidently others are commenting on the plastic used in the new jar as he's joking about its content.
I was just going to say that... Laughing all the way to the bank. I wish the cigars weren't good it would make it so much easier!

Yep! I like the recycled materials used. Those Chinese are so clever. :laugh:

That's the thing about being on top. You have to be prepared for people always wanting to take shots at you. I can see there being a few people out there being disappointed, thinking they were finally going to get their hands on the ceramic black jars.

With all the shit going on with China, where is Made in USA, or like Drew did, make the jar in honor of your country or state in the DR or NIC.

I am tired of seeing China, maybe the smokes were rolled in China.

Come on Pete, ditch China. Make the out of paper mâché , but not Bejing contaminated plastic!.

For what the dang cigars cost we can pony up an extra buck for a better container.

jfields said:
Yep! I like the recycled materials used. Those Chinese are so clever. :laugh:

That's the thing about being on top. You have to be prepared for people always wanting to take shots at you. I can see there being a few people out there being disappointed, thinking they were finally going to get their hands on the ceramic black jars.

Not just that John, but there is some legit trepidation in plastic content coming from overseas. I deal with it on a daily basis...so I do understand people's skepticism. 

As we speak, there is a major resin shortage in the US...not that there is a factual shortage, it's just that the overseas market is paying more per pound than the domestic market at this time. So, in our infinite wisdom as capitalists, US resin makers are exporting more than we are selling to the US users....which in turn drives domestically made plastics through the roof. I've had multiple price increases since the middle of January...6 actually...two in the last 10 days.  

One of the reasons the importers use US made resin is for it's purity...which varies depending on what it's being used for. But, by in large, we make some of the best there is. That makes it easier for the buyers of exported goods to purchase these items back as finished products when they see the documentation of the resin used in the manufacturing of that product. The problem is, once it arrives at a factory, some shady manufacturers ADD contaminated recycled resin to the good quality batches to stretch the production values.

Then, when a buyer gets nailed for poisonous plastic toy or a plastic product who's tensile strength comes into question, they go back to the resin supplier as the culprit. But they can't control HOW it's being used...and there in lies the game...at that point it's in the hands of the lawyers. Some global legislation has been passed to help the resin manufactures in that regard.

What we never realize is the vast quantities of plastics that fail before being allowed into our country, the figures are staggering. Like in any industry, you don't know the details unless you are familiar with that market segment. 

PS: Dark plastics are the worst, they can dump a ton of nasty stuff in that resin mix and it visually goes undetected! Also, it's not just China. 

Might be worth posting that in Pete's "Sarcastic Enough" Facebook thread.  ;)

Thanks for the lesson...... I seem to remember a similar problem with high lead content in Chinese plastic toys a few years back. Is that an example of what you just said?

The jars are a novelty at this point. How many of you are actually planning on storing the cigars in the jar long term? Probably not many. Do we wish the quality was better? Of course. But that's only so we have something cool to display in our man cave. No matter what Pete does with his brand and marketing there will always be haters.

jfields said:
Might be worth posting that in Pete's "Sarcastic Enough" Facebook thread.  ;)

Thanks for the lesson...... I seem to remember a similar problem with high lead content in Chinese plastic toys a few years back. Is that an example of what you just said?

Yup...some unscrupulous manufacturers dump a TON of crap into those resin hoppers right before they start the melting process. 

Each resin is made to an exacting standard by it's chemical content. To make certain plastic items, any number of resins are used to make a blend for that product based on strength, UV protection, flexibility, toxicity, etc....all done by weight of each individual component resin.

Resin blender...

ResinBlender_zpsfe819a79.jpg

The batch is tested at that point and added to the main hopper, that feeds the production line hoppers, that feed the extruders...

ResinHopper_zps19850967.jpg

The main hoppers are in a different part of the plant, so the final resin blend is sent to the machine that melts it and shapes it into whatever is being made...in this case, it's plastic PVC pipe. 

The main hopper feeds the production hoppers that are over each extruder...you can see them with the cone shape on the bottom of the large box-like thing...the pipes overhead are from the main unit...

ExtruderLine_zpsba5336d7.jpg

That big thing to the right that looks like a jet engine is the "oven" that melts the resin and starts the squeezing/extruding process...an exact amount of heat, tons of pressure...

Extruder_zps69cca6c8.jpg

Starts at one end, and 80ft later you have plastic pipe...printed and all. Each length has a production date & time, what shift made it, and what batch of resin was used to produce it.

When I say it's tested, in the US...IT'S TESTED! This is just one test area for the physical traits, there is also a lab that drills down to the molecular level to ensure it's properly made. The liability is tremendous should it fail...

TestingArea_zps9f5310d0.jpg

My point in showing you guys all this is to educate you on how easy it is to add shady stuff to these products...like re-ground contaminated plastic from plastic 55gal drums that held chemicals, re-grinds of failed plastic goods, you name it, they throw it in there to stretch their production numbers.

I'm not playing Chicken Little here, just pointing out that the process overseas are NOTHING like what is produced here in the USA. Most times there is a rating standard that the imported goods have to conform to and those products are tested extensively before allowed into the US market. That's why I mentioned all the failed plastic goods that never are sold and sitting in containers on ships and in shipping yards. 

There was also that huge condo complex built in Florida that was condemned before they even sold any units because of contaminated sheet rock. Google that one and you'll see what I mean.