• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny-O! Short Roldofo

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Johnny-O! Short Rodolfo
6 x 50

Greetings and hallucinations all!  And no, you’re not hallucinating; I’m actually posting a review!  Boy it’s been a mighty long time since I’ve done this, seriously. 

Prologue:
Although I’ve checked in from time to time the past several years, I certainly haven’t been as involved as I once was, and can surely say I’ve missed the place and a lot of folks.  I’ve picked up a stick here and there as well, but my stash has long since been gone, all that’s left is a very small 20ct humi I bought at a TJ Maxx.  At the time it was to just be a sort of novelty, something to keep my lighters, cutters, etc. in.  I laugh now days when I open it up to grab a smoke, thinking about it. 

Those that knew me back in the day knew how much I loved my family and my dog Mandy, it was in a good many of my reviews.  Unfortunately, life had a huge twist as after a very long and very difficult separation, I got divorced, now only seeing my Jess every other weekend.  I also lost Mandy in early Dec 2013, which I already know many of my friends here can sympathize with that blow.  But, I have since gotten re-married, and I can say Cassandra (Casey) is truly my best friend.  Funny story (kinda), Christmas ’12 was coming up and she asked what I wanted.  Of course, I hinted around that a really good cigar would be nice.  Like I said previously, I would check in from time to time (on other boards as well), and one of those times I didn’t sign out, and she got on under my name.  Clueless to the cigar community, or any online community, she began sending messages out and making looking for “help” posts about getting me a really good cigar.  Of course, it looked a great deal like someone trying to mooch big time!  I came back and saw what all she had done, and immediately tried explaining.  Of course it made me feel really good that she would try to do something like that for me, but trying to explain how online communities work, well, wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. 

Certainly missed out on a ton of new smokes released, reviews are quite outdated.  I received notice from Luke a while back that the Tobacco Tales site was goners, really sad news, but not much to be done I don’t think (Luke – you still out there brother?).  But, luckily I still have everything here, and well…it’s time to carry on I do believe!

The Review:

My good friend John (Johnny-O!) was kind enough to bomb me with a very nice fiver last week (many thanks John!!) and oh man to smell those sticks in that Ziploc!  I haven’t had the pleasure of that barnyard smell in a long time, and oh how glorious it was!  Casey stuck her nose in the bag, and it was ooohh and aaahhh…lol!  There were several different vitolas of which one I know to be a baby salamone.  Another was a baby salamone with a shag foot?  How cool is that!  A couple pigtail shag foot and one big ‘ol stogie shag foot.  I put four of the five in my little humi, and put the fifth in an old cigar box I had in top my closet.  There it sat for a few days to dry out because let me tell you these stogies were very fresh, almost like they were just rolled (probably most likely were).

The cigar I chose per John’s information is a Short Rodolfo, a 6 x 50 perfecto vitola with a shag foot.  Now I have to say, I really enjoy perfecto vitolas, and this is the first with a shag foot I’ve seen, which is very cool.    It feels rather light in the hand, which I like as it means the cigar isn’t overfilled, has a slight give when squeezed as well.  The wrapper is rather dark and oily, looks almost like maduro leaf.  I clip the foot at an angle, and the draw is wide open with a very young, but strong tobacco taste. 

I light up the open shag foot and take a whiff of the white smoke pouring from the smoldering leaves.  Amazing, the smell, and can’t wait to take the first draw.  After a couple puffs, a long draw is taken and my first thought is earthy.  I mean dark earth, like when you till up your garden in spring.  A hint of gingerbread too, sweet on the lips, and a nice twang on the tongue.  The smoke is light however, not heavy at all on the palate.  As I let the smoke escape through my nose, I get a perfect amount of pepper. 

As the darkish gray ash burns down, it has no runs at all.  I can tell from the large black ring around the fire that the wrapper is thick, small spots of tooth show up here and there.  I have to say it’s burning rather fast, even though I’m not taking many draws, letting it rest between for a few minutes at a time.  The ash held on to about a third in, and dropped off on its own.  This thing is smoking beautifully!

Halfway through and into the final third, the cigar was consistent with perfect draw, burn, and incredible flavor.  I’ve smoked many of John’s cigars and have to say this one was up there with the best, just an all around fantastic cigar.  Excellent job John and as always, can’t thank you enough for the opportunity to try.  

Thanks for getting back into the swing of things. I alway enjoyed your reviews.

Welcome back...!!

Oh, and great review.....just like always.... :thumbs:

Good to have you back and thanks for another fine review!

Good to see you back! Great review! Best of luck in your life journey!

Nice review, great photos. If I wasn't a fan, you sure make it tempting. Sweet looking wrapper.

Good review, Greg. Very nice looking cigar with a gorgeous wrapper.

I see the Review Master is back at the helm....Nice Greg! Good to have you back buddy!

Am I the only one who felt like jumping up and down when seeing a Kingantz review dated today pop up in the New Content?

Greg, we're all glad to have you back.  Condolences on losing Mandy and heartiest congratulations to you and Casey on your wedding.

Congratulations on your return and your new life.

Great review, thanks for posting.

I'm up toward the mountains, in Greenville.

Great to see you back doing reviews Greg!

Congrats on the new marriage, sounds like a great girl.  Hope to see you around here more.

Now boy, I say boy you gots all your terms discombobulated. Ya didn't cut the ceegar at an angle son, now did ya boy? It's called a Dick Cut, now son. Ya can't say it was at an angle boy, what are ya a mathumatishan? Dick Cut it is boy I thinks we needs to gets you into a spellinglish class now boy....John

Great review Greg, this is one of your classics. John

Greg! Great to see you doing a review! I've been watching you on Facebook, and it looks like you've found yourself a serious keeper. Please keep the reviews coming, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes for more. Best of luck to you buddy, you deserve it.

Many thanks everyone, much appreciate the kind words!  Definitely plan to stick around as much as possible and start back on the reviews.  Forgot how much I really enjoyed sitting down and writing them out.  

Too funny John!  Thanks again for the smokes my friend!

I missed your reviews. Glad to see them coming back! :)