• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

College Football Players Unionized

This will probably go to the US Supreme Court and take years to resolve.  This was also a California judge's ruling, and they tend to lean towards a certain side on their decisions.

There's a lot of money in these college sports so it'll be interested to see what happens since many of the schools are state and federally funded.

I thought going to college was about getting an education and getting laid.

This will be an interesting debate and difficult to keep from heating up. The athletes seem to forget that their tuition, books, and meals are paid for (unless they are walk-ons of course). Not to mention the monthly stipend. I'm wondering how the Union will be funded, since there are no paychecks to collect dues. 

This is the first step that will lead to the end of college athletics.   I get it, but it's sad to think college sports will never be the same. 

Vincent: Breaks down like this, okay: it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it, and if you're the proprietor of a hash bar, it's legal to sell it. It's illegal to carry it, but that doesn't really matter 'cause, get a load of this, all right; if you get stopped by the cops in Amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you. I mean, that's a right the cops in Amsterdam don't have.

Bsneed51 said:
This is the first step that will lead to the end of college athletics.   I get it, but it's sad to think college sports will never be the same. 

I don't know about that Brent.  If my research is correct, this isn't about players getting paid a salary.

It has been ruled they can unionize because they are already getting paid....i.e. their scholarships.  That doesn't change.  What this will lead to is the ability for players to seek money making opportunities connected to their sport....such as shoe deals, and jersey sales, and paid appearances and things like that.

I certainly need to read into this a bit more, but based on what I've seen, I have no problem with this at the moment.  Colleges have been farming money off of these kids for far too long.  Why shouldn't a player get paid a percentage of money if his jersey is the one that sells for millions of dollars?  I see no issue with that.