• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bought my 1st bottle of Bourbon

jkoj

Started drinking scotch about 8 yrs ago and figured it was time to add a bottle of bourbon. So many choices out there. Got it narrowed down to a few and went with E.H. Taylor small batch. Tried it last night. Holy cow, very potent stuff at 100 proof. Straight up , no water with the first glass. Second glass I added a few drops of water to tone it down a bit. The carmel flavors were more prominent with the water. All and all very enjoyable.

You picked a good one, in my opinion. Yea, it's potent. Hard to find in my area. Enjoy!

Has a wee bit last night too. It's growing in me more and more. Might try to find some if that Pappy everyone raves about :)

Lots of good stuff out there at a far lower price point.  Four Roses, Elijah Craig, Bakers, Bookers, Angel's Envy and a host of others. I was drinking some Very Old Barton (6 YO) last night that was only $22 out the door for a handle.

jkoj said:
. Second glass I added a few drops of water to tone it down a bit. The carmel flavors were more prominent with the water.
I learned something drinking single malt scotch. The scots call it "the dew on the rose" which I figured meant that was how much water you added.

It's hard to get it just right, and I can only do it with a small 1 oz pitcher, but when you get the amount of water just right you can tell by looking in the glass right as you add the water - and you can see tiny rivulets that look like dew on a rose. They disappear quickly, just have a few seconds that they will be visible.

Just the right amount unlocks a ton of flavors. Add too much, and flavors are too muted. If I ever added too much water, could never get the flavors back by adding more whiskey.

It takes a little effort and paying attention, but adds a tremendous amount to the enjoyment.

It does work with other small batch whiskeys, don't know if it works with bulk distilled.

I've never been a big believer in the adding water theory.  A bottle of 100 proof whisk(e)y is already 50% water.

AVB said:
I've never been a big believer in the adding water theory.  A bottle of 100 proof whisk(e)y is already 50% water.
Thanks Ray!

That proves my personal taste correct.
I went to the Abraham Bowman Distillery a couple of miles down the road from my house a couple of weeks ago to buy my first bottle of a new limited bourbon they released. The tour guide told me to "put water in it to release flavors, or an ice cube that will add layers as it cools the spirit." I prefer it neat, and thought it was just my inexperience.

An ice cube is different than adding water and will add layers for a short period of time however, in my experience you can taste those layers over time as you get more in tune with drinking whisk(e)y. Think of ice like a prism, it makes some things stand out more but overall it changes the whole picture of what the original was. 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

I think many of the bourbons, particularly from the BTAC are better enjoyed neat. Even the ones at the 120 proof are great. I think it just takes time to learn how to appreciate drinking something neat.

Got a bottle of Blanton's in just before I left for work for two weeks... looking forward to cracking that open when I get back. Neat, but sometimes I'll add a splash of water.

Ice causes the flavors to shift.

I drank singlemalt scotch neat for a number of years. Now and then would try the "dew on the rose" thing, took me a long time to get it right.

It truly is a very small amount. I assure you it works with nice single malt scotch. Have been told that it works with other "pot distilled" whiskeys.

The singlemalt scotch I have on hand varies from 80 to 90 proof, I'm sure there is more variation.

Drink it how you like it best, is the best way to go.

But if you have a nice bottle of something pot distilled, you might want to a few dribbles of (filtered) water to it and give it a try.

IF i have a nice bottle?  Yeah, I think I do.  You are correct, drink it how you like it and I lean toward neat if given a choice. You might want to click on the little red "here!" at the bottom of my post though.

Saw a small bottle if the Angel's Envy. It was 22. Might pick it up tonight.

For the price, I find good old Buffalo Trace to be a damned good bourbon. I also can't stay away from Bookers....that stuff will make a man out of you. Amazingly delicious, but an ass kicker.

Camp will be opening up in a few weeks. I've started building the bourbon stash. Elijah Craig, Bulliet, Eagle Rare, and Jefferson's are ready to go. The micro-distillery down the road, Five & 20, is planning on releasing their first bourbon sometime this summer. Nothing like bourbon, a good cigar, and a campfire.

John- get yourself I bottle of Clyde May.
For 27$ it kicks bourbon ASS!