• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo De Monterrey Edicion Limitada 2007

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Hoyo De Monterrey Edicion Limitada 2007
5.4 x 37 (Regalos)

Yesterday was beautiful getting up in the eighties.   A friend of ours had a birthday party last night, so Casey and I went, had a good time.  We all planned to go our on the pontoon today, but the weather is terrible just barely hitting sixty degrees, cloudy, and a cold wind blowing.  We decided to stay in and be lazy, Casey curled up on the couch under her blanket, and I built a fire, going to smoke a stogie.  The pups came crawling up snuggling in my lap.  I got the HDM EL 2007, which is number two of five cigars Paul (Tall Paul) sent me.  Again, thanks so much brother!

This is one good looking cigar with a medium brown wrapper and couple prominent veins running the length.  It has a good weight in the hand, and I find it's very firm when squeezing from head to foot.  Sniffing at the cigar I get that nice barnyard smell with good straightforward tobacco, and after punching the head the cold draw has the same with just a really good flavor.  But, unfortunately the draw is very tight with little air flow, but there is some coming through and I'm hoping once warm it will open on up.  

Once the foot is toasted, lit, and burning well, I take a few puffs getting smoke flowing.  But again, there's not much draw, so I puff some more to get the stick warmed up some.  I squeeze the cigar as I puff to loosen the tobacco inside, which worked quite well as the draw did open up.  And oh the flavors!   Immediately I think rich and dark, earth notes along with a meaty woodiness and a hint of dark chocolate in the long finish.  I am loving this cigar.  I have to say I'm reminded somewhat of a good Padron with how meaty it is, makes me want to go grill a juicy, rare steak.

Casey wakes up, goes and fixes me a glass of sweet tea, which I think pairs well with this stick.  The pups also get up, follow her to the kitchen, and commence to play.  I throw another log on the fire and get back to this fantastic smoke.  The burn is perfect with no issues at all, and the ash forming is a medium gray, which falls on its own right at an inch.  The draw continues to be perfect as well with just the right amount of smoke flowing through.  

Getting close to the halfway mark, the strength of this cigar is evolving to quite full, intense enters my mind, but a good intense for me.  Flavors are still quite rich on the palate with strong wood and old leather notes with that dark chocolate on the back of the tongue.   It has a nice pepper in the nose and the finish long.  Meaty still comes to mind.  

Heading into the final third, I'm having a tough time keeping it lit, having to puff a good bit to get smoke through.  I knock off the ash, and sure enough there's a hole directly in the middle of the cigar.  Rats.   It does go out on me, and I try lighting it back, but the tobacco near the head seemed to become more dense, preventing a good draw, so finally lay it to rest in the ashtray.   

I very much enjoyed this cigar with the rich, meaty flavor and long finish.  Just a downright awesome smoke and appreciate the opportunity to give it a try Paul.  

Glad you enjoyed it. I have had one of the others from my box do the same thing at the end.

Paul

Good job, Greg. I had some of these a few years ago. It was an excellent smoke. I was fortunate in that they all smoked beautifully.