• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Jason

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Tatuaje Jason
7 ½ x 52

Good Morning all!  Some serious wind/storms last night, and from the looks of it this morning there’ll be more to come.  Really bums me out as I’m on vacation this week and really hoped it would be nice so I and my baby girl could go out on the pontoon.  I mean, finally warm weather and STILL cooped up inside.  But, at least I get to be with her until Wed, which usually it’s just one whole day every other week. 

After seeing Casey off to work, I went and grabbed the last smoke in my TallPaul review series ( :D), which is a Tatuaje Jason.  Again, Paul, you are the man!  Many thanks for letting me partake in some excellent smokes.  Hope you’re healing up nicely and are enjoying tastes/smells like never before!

This is another big’n that will take a little time to smoke; however Jess is still asleep and more than likely won’t be up until I’ve just about finished it.  It has a decent weight in the hand, not too heavy and not too light, and is firm with very little give when squeezed.  The Connecticut broadleaf wrapper is a maduro in color, and has tiny sugar crystals shining all over, which makes me think, this thing looks a lot like a giant La Riqueza. 

There’s a really interesting smell as I run the length of the cigar under my nose.  I had to do it several times and still am not sure, but it’s like when you’re ironing clothes with a really hot iron.  Yeah I know, gustatory hallucinations, lol!  I give the foot a sniff as well and again I am having a hard time with it.  Something like a stale bread with notes of dry raisin.  I punch the head, test the draw, and it’s actually fairly tight, which I’m a bit surprised as it’s my experience for Tats to be overly loose.  However, there’s enough air coming through to get that same stale bread, raisin, and a note of mustiness. 

After putting fire to the foot, I take a few puffs and find the draw is actually not bad at all.  However, it seems like the cigar is struggling to produce a good amount of smoke.  I have to puff several times to get it going and can see a strong fire going beneath the white ash, but just no smoke.  As soon as I quit puffing, it seems like it wants to go out.  What smoke does come through has both a mild strength and body with just straightforward wood and leather notes.  The finish is short, clean, and leaves the palate somewhat dry.  I mentioned earlier that the wrapper had tiny crystals of sugar all over; however these crystals are now in the ash in abundance.  My best guess would be Potassium Nitrate.

Heading into the midway point, the cigar is as previously described, no change at all.  I hate to say it, but there’s really not much flavor in the smoke, just kind of…bland.  I keep hoping something will change; however so far it hasn’t. 

Because it looks like and is calling for rain, I decided to sit on my back porch this morning.  As I’m sitting here smoking, I go to reach for my coffee and happen to glance down behind the dryer to the right of me.  There’s a bottle back there, a soda can, and as I really start paying attention just a whole bunch of trash.  I get up and walk to the other side and it seems my wife had cleaned out her car putting the small trash bag on the porch.  I mutter a couple of choice words as it looks like the pups had gotten into it, and as I lean forward to get a better look at how much of a mess there was behind the dryer, I let out a “holy *hit!!” at what was back there.  You can see in the picture below.  Needless to say I had a time getting that thing off the porch.  We’ve had several of them come up eating Tinker’s food (cat), but they were all really small.  This one was HUGE!  Sucker did some serious growling at me too, whew!  After removing the scoundrel, I sit back down and realize I’m breathing pretty heavy.  Damn thing had me going!  LOL!  Hopefully it won’t be back. 

I hit the midway point, start heading towards the end, and still there’s no change with just not much flavor that I can tell in the smoke.  I think maybe my taste buds are off this morning, yet my coffee tastes just fine.  The more I think about it, the more I realize that it could very well be the draw being tighter than I realize?  Not sure.  It’s also hard to keep the thing burning well, wanting to go out as soon as I sit it down to rest. I actually want to go fix another cup of coffee; however know I’ll have to re-light if I do.  Ah well, it’ll be alright, got to have more coffee coffee coffee!  :D

Well, I get back and it’s still burning, so that’s good.  Heading into the final third and the strength kicks up a notch.  I get a note of some vanilla bean, maybe cinnamon in the smoke, but just a tiny hint.  The prominent tastes are the same; leather with the wood now tasting charred on the palate in the very short finish. 

Unfortunately I have to say the cigar was a bit disappointing as I just didn’t get much by way of flavor from it.  With the blend similar to that of the La Riqueza line, which I have very much enjoyed finding them rich and just a creamy smoke, I really thought this one too would be close to that, but nope.  While it wasn’t an awful smoke by no means, I can say though, it was pretty much one dimensional to my palate.  Not sure if some aging would change anything with it, only time will tell. 

Paul, thank you again for all the smokes sent, and I hope you’ve enjoyed the reviews my friend. 

That sucker was so big, he got stuck behind the dryer. 

Man! That's an ugly cat!
Is he house broken?
Does he play well with others?
Did he fall over looking kinda dead when you poked him with a stick? ;)

Great pictures. Thanks for the review.

I thought those creatures usually played possum!

Lol...don't be dissin' my cat! He's a happy cat, see the smile on his face?

Maybe your cat wouldn't hiss like that if you didn't keep it behind the dryer.

You are a very good writer. I felt like I was experiencing it with you. Thanks for the review!

Great review and I will be trying my second soon and my sit the others a bit. Thanks for reviewing all the sticks I sent brother all the reviews were great!

Paul

jfields said:
Man! That's an ugly cat!
Is he house broken?
Does he play well with others?
Did he fall over looking kinda dead when you poked him with a stick? ;)

Spewing water out of your nose is not the best way to impress one's boss.  But damn that was funny John.

Great review!  Do you think dry boxing the Jason might improve smoke production?

Setharsis said:
Great review!  Do you think dry boxing the Jason might improve smoke production?

I actually did dry box it before smoking, as I do with most I smoke.  More than likely there was some tunneling going on in there as for the reason for not getting much smoke.  Good question though!