• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

For You Younger Guys in Favor of Lifting the Embargo....

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
...a little remembered/mentioned set of facts that has really pissed off a previous generation who dislikes losing their assets....both corporate & personal. Add in the missile crisis by those of us who lived through it, and you have a ton of people still out there with good memories and good reasons for disliking that c*cksucking thief Castro. 

So, when commenting on the abolishment of the embargo with such fervor and conviction, please factor in these events while you make your decision to support that prick and what he's done to his country, his people, and those that supported the Cuban economy for many, many years before he came along.  

LINK 

I've never given serious thought to lifting the embargo against Cuba, much less why it was enacted.  I never knew Castro pirated the assets of US companies and citizens.  Thanks for the read.

As for lifting the embargo just make it easier to get our hands on CC, I wholly disagree.  Part of the lure of CC is that they are "illegal", at least for me it is.  I say keep the embargo in tact.  It's always been that way (at least in my lifetime), & it always should be.  (I know, not everything should stay as it is, but it this case I think it should)

theronray said:

Part of the lure of CC is that they are "illegal", at least for me it is.  

C'mon Gary, you see what your starting again.  :whistling:

ETA: good read.

I watch a special on PBS recently on this and how one man (Russian) stopped A nuclear attack on the US fleet which in all likelihood would have resulted in all out nuke war. 2 out of three people on the Russian sub wanted to launch the Nuke torpedo. The third refused. Scary as hell and I was not even alive then.

We all should remember this time in history.

NASTY said:
Is this another Facebook article, Gary?
I'm sorry LOS, I forgot you have a difficult time reading. I'll see if I can find a Doctor Seuss version of the article with big print and lots of pictures.

I did read the article.  The article omits why the Cuban government confiscated those properties.

ahh, because they're Communists.

Doc

I want the embargo over simply because I don't want to have to break the laws of my country to enjoy a cigar available to the rest of the world.

I'm with broblues. It's more about my liberty and less about Castros' tyranny.

Except some people (not me) will look at it as your purchases as supporting Castro's tyranny. Since the cigar companies are government run.

Average cigar roller in Cuba gets paid about $150 a week.

looking for knowledge said:
I'm with broblues. It's more about my liberty and less about Castros' tyranny.

Which was my point in posting this article...it's more about Castro's tyrannical reign of granting his people the most basic of human rights and his lack of respect towards those who supported them with their time, effort, resources, and money. It should be less about our personal interests in wanting this conflict resolved. As generations pass, these reasons get lost through the lack of education.

Like Doc said, this is the quintessential face of Communism....no regard for personal freedom or property, just the furthering of a warped ideal of a tyrant. 
looking for knowledge said:
And China's when I purchase window fans, Nike tennis shoes, and assorted other legal-to-purchase in the USA items.

The people of China live in luxury compared to the people of Cuba.  ;)

Plus, it's not ILLEGAL to do business with China.

I am not trying to argue here, but a couple ideas conflict with this line of thinking.

Until recently China was not a whole lot better than Cuba where human rights are concerned. In fact, many of their people still live in poverty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_China

As for the embargo, are you suggesting that it was good for the people of Cuba? Has their quality of life increased since the 60’s? Is this about quality of life for the people, or hurting/hindering a bad guy? People be damned either way?

Regardless, I know full well that I purchase products from countries that do not allow their citizens what I would subjectively consider basic human rights.

It is a good point about China. But China didn't put us on the brink of Nuclear destruction! Cuba and Russia did.

Myself I try to buy USA products when I can! Like my work boots are Redwings and I'm literally proud when I wear them and people see the small American Flag on the shoe lance.

I work in American manufacturing and know how important it is! For jobs and long term economy.

But then again I drive a Subaru so I guess I'm a hypocrite, lol!

Personally I feel more can be gained opening up with Cuba as a trade partner. Ask our farmers in the gulf area. No better way to destroy communism than with opening up the free markets to capitalism. It's slowly happening. When president Elian Gonzalez takes over it will be the beginning of a new chapter. I think cuba has better products than China if you ask me. Items crafted with passion, engrained as part of the culture. Rum, Tobacco, Sugar, clothing, other artisanal items. China, they could give a rats ass about the crap that comes our way. Electronics, sportswear, rediculous amounts of other common daily used items. They really don't give a damn. I still would love the opportunity to visit cuba before major changes occur. One of my colleagues from public health got to go for 2 weeks and came back did a skids show presentation. He learned a lot about the people, the government, and the health system. All while getting to wake up every morning for a week and fish with locals.

I love my CC's, German car and finding deals on products made in China. Everyone loves cheap prices but seldom ask how and where they're made or what type of labor was used. Life's to short to worry about all this. Good examples are those big box stores we all love to shop in (Walmart, Target etc).

You can't have it both ways. People want cheaper products and manufactures are going to deliver it by using cheap labor, resources and manufacturing practices.

I pay my fair share of taxes on the money I make and love that I have the freedom in this great country of ours to spend it where and however I please. I buy American when I can but quality for me outweighs my loyalty.

Embargo on or off I'll keep buying and smoking them until quality tanks. My two cents...

BTW Lagamm, I believe that your figures are a bit generous on cigar rollers in Cuba making $150 per week. I've read that average salaries are more like $15-$25 per month. :0

This begs a question. If the embargo was lifted, would CC's be a hot item, or because the DOM and NIC's have a great foothold, would the CC's not be such a big deal after the dust settles?

One of my friends grew up in Cuba and had me read Havana Nocturne.  It gives a somewhat different view.  Their view is that American "investment" did nothing for the common citizen of Cuba.  However, I'm not from there, nor a scholar on Cuba,  I just present it as a different viewpoint on what things were like.