• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Easter Menu

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
Various Italian Cold Cuts
Deviled Eggs
Crab stuffed Mushrooms
Various cheeses, crackers, etc.

Roasted Leg of Lamb with garlic, rosemary and EVOO (for the Italians and Jews)
Baked Ham with brown sugar/ honey glaze. (For the Wasps in the family, yes we have a few)
Potatoes Dauphin
Egg Plant Parm
Green beans with garlic vinaigrette, served room temp.
Corn (for the grandkids, fussy little bastids)

Cannoli
Coconut cake
Torccetti
Fruit and nuts
Espresso, whatever liqueurs I can find in the cabinet.

So what are you having?

Doc

Happy Easter Doc. Indeed a great menu but I'm also interested in what your pulling out of the humi today.

Light this! said:
Happy Easter Doc. Indeed a great menu but I'm also interested in what your pulling out of the humi today.
I hope you had a good Easter as well
A couple of assclowns sent me some old cigars a while back :whistling: . I probably smoked one of those. :thumbs:

Doc

Just saw this post Hank...it's amazing how close our two menus were!

We also had all the Italian deli stuff...fresh mozzarella, sopressata, roasted peppers, provolone, antipasto salad, provolone & prosciutto poppers, bruschetta, and lots of bread. I made a brie cheese thing with the Pillsbury Crescent roll dough, raspberry jam, and toasted almonds that was really good....tons of cheese & crackers, Ray's crack-in-a-bowl,  a fresh seafood dip from a local fish market with Ritz crackers (so freakin' good!), and a cold macaroni dish with olives, pimentos, garlic, roasted pignoli nuts, and some other stuff covered in an infused basil/garlic olive oil. We also had the traditional Easter pie (torta pasqualina) with the hard boiled egg baked into it, And of course, the cantaloupe wrapped in prosciutto as a sorbet. 

We also had a small leg of lamb (wasn't going to make it but decided at the last minute to include it) that I had the butcher cut off the bone, he packed it with an herb recipe (similar to yours) that I bring from home, and then he re-ties it to the bone...then cooked like yours. I also made a spiral ham with a tangerine/brown sugar glaze that I found a recipe for. Roasted potatoes in olive oil and rosemary (which were great for breakfast over the days that followed), Asparagus & mushrooms in some weird balsamic/orange reduction, baby carrots in a cinnamon/raisin/ brown sugar reduction...and eggplant parm too!!

Desert we went light. Cheese cake assortment, figs & dry nuts, gelato, apple pie, a few Italian pastries along with a loaf of sweet colomba bread, espresso, and cappuccinos.

Started prepping around 7am and I didn't leave the kitchen until almost 9pm. Drank a few beers, a good amount of scotch, and capped it off with some homemade annisette. Typical holiday. 

I don't know what's up with you two mokes, (Doc & Gary) but I didn't get an invite! Ended up going to a local joint the food was pretty good.

That's eating! 

And Gary:
"traditional Easter pie (torta pasqualina) with the hard boiled egg baked into it" :love: 

Love that! I never learned how to make it. When I was a pesciolino, I didn't quite get it. Then I started drinking coffee...

MadMonk said:
That's eating! 

And Gary:
"traditional Easter pie (torta pasqualina) with the hard boiled egg baked into it" :love: 

Love that! I never learned how to make it. When I was a pesciolino, I didn't quite get it. Then I started drinking coffee...

:laugh:  As a kid, I vividly remember seeing was my Father & Uncles eating it, with shots of espresso on the side, at my Uncle's bar before the scotch and wine started to flow like water! I think it was their version of "Brunch'.

We make it two ways...one with the colored Easter egg "woven" in pastry dough on the top and the other version is the hard boiled egg is peeled and put inside the bread before baking. Our family has an Italian name for it that I can't even spell phonetically!

But yes, it tastes great...especially as a late night snack right out of the fridge cold... :thumbs: ...but you HAVE to eat by hand!

italian-easter-bread4.jpg
eew
I have now idea what those two are talking about but this is Pane di Pasqua. The bread is flavored with orange and anise. The eggs are more symbolic than culinary. I'm told, and this is before my time, that eggs were forbidden during lent and this was a way to enjoy them again. You can find a recipe on line easy enough with one or multiple eggs and coloured jimmies. Sprinkles to you folks that ain't from New England.

Doc

That's what I had in my head, Doc. If Gary meant something else, I'm off on the name. But, I was so young. I don't even think I ever knew the proper name.
Hell, I didn't know the name of half the food my Grandmother prepared. But, hell, I miss it all. Even though I got a lot of the family recipes for those items most familiar, in a lot of cases, they don't taste quite as good.

I don't remember anyone in my family eating the eggs. Always wondered if you were supposed to.

Hell, I can't even make toast as good as my grandmother's. Ironically it's her birthday today.

Doc