• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Carlos Lancero

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Don Carlos Lancero
7 ½ x 41

I saved the best for last from the stogies received in the MAWPIF (Thanks Gary!).  I was up early as usual, long before Casey or Jess would get up, and settled out back with a fresh cup of coffee.  With the cello and cedar sleeve removed, I began inspecting the cigar, which had a nice Cameroon wrapper and small veins throughout.  It had a good weight, was firm when squeezed, and the smell under the nose was that of cedar wood and sweet tobacco.  I punched the cap, which had the little tag on top, and found the draw to be spot on with that same sweet tobacco and cedar wood flavor.  It lit easily, and with the foot toasted I blew on it until all was burning reddish orange throughout. 

There is no doubt in my first draw this thing was fantastic!  I immediately got a full body and close to full strength smoke that was silky smooth, very rich on the palate.  Flavor was a delicious straightforward tobacco with a hint of that cedar.  While I say the smoke is full, it’s still not overpowering, and the pepper spice at the end is at just the right amount.  I have to actually make myself slow down with this thing as it was so good. 

It doesn’t take long before a nice, light gray ash forms, which is somewhat flaky but holding well the first inch and a half.  I can see small tooth in the wrapper that is now showing up in the ash.  The burn is sharp until about two inches in where it wants to run slightly, but gets back to normal fairly quickly.  It takes a slight turn to one side, but again holds on for about two inches before falling off.  There’s tons of rich smoke flowing through that is just smooth as can be, and I can’t seem to get enough of it.  Did I say this thing was rich?  Has a delicious twang on the back of the tongue, and after exhaling, the finish is long on the palate, pairing really well with my coffee. 

As I head into the halfway mark, the draw seems to get tighter on me for some reason.  I’m finding it more and more difficult to get good smoke through.  I put my finger on the tip and ‘lo n behold…tar!  Yikes!  Whatever you do, don’t let that stuff touch your lips or tongue.  Talk about nassy?  Whew!  Luckily none got on mine.  I grabbed my taped up cutter, held my breath, and quickly clipped the end.  It worked pretty decent that time, and let me tell you the draw was certainly open after that.  Wow was it open, and the smoke became way strong, almost overpowering at that point.  I had to take small “sips” on the stogie, which produced more than enough smoke, so I continued on to about an inch left where it just got too powerful, whew!

Man what a great smoke this was having a perfect draw, burn, and rich flavors with lasting finish.  I’m not sure if this would be a morning smoke with coffee for some, but it worked great for me.  Again, thank you Gary for such a fine cigar.  Do you know the age it had?

I had my one and only of these so far earlier this year at Casa Fuente. Of course I overpaid for it there, but I enjoyed every extra penny of it. I like stronger cigars, but I don't think I would try to take this one down in the morning. It did pair very well that evening with two mojotos, a glass of cognac, a glass of wine, and a glass of Gentleman Jack. :)

Nice review. I'm new-ish here (long time lurker), but I've read several you have done and you do a very nice job.

Nice tramp stamp you got on your back there Greg!

Man! I've gotten that stuff on my tongue smoking an. Anejo before. Ruined the rest of the smoking experience and tasted it for the rest of the day.

Ohhhh epic T-stamp dude, looks nearly identical to the stamp CJ has.

Very nice review. Glad you enjoyed the smokes.

This is actually a 'new' release...last year or the year before if I recall.
It's a lancero...and they tend to need to be sipped.

I had to stop smoking them to save some!

One of the best cigars for the price! (look up msrp) :D

These are fantastic! Nice review! I collected a whole box of these by going to Casa Fuente several days in a row with friends. It is a box I am proud of. I bought several extras too so I could smoke a few without getting into the box. They are one of the tastiest mild cigars I have ever smoked.

Great review!

The Destino Lancero is one of my favorite sticks ever, but I have yet to get my hands on one of these and try them. You have inspired me to search harder!

Good one, Greg. Don Carlos is one of my favorite blends, and the typically excellent construction is a major bonus.
I know I have at least 2 of these in my Humidor with more than 5 years on them. Wonder how much longer they'll last.

I passed on a few of these a while back when I ran across them in favor of some other tasty Fuentes. Now I wish I wouldn't have.