• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Black 2013

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Tatuaje Black 2013 release
5 5/8 x 46

Can you believe I slept to right at 9 a.m. this morning?  Yeah, slept in just a little.  The wife and I sat outside for a bit and drank our morning coffee, and then I cleaned out the pool, just skimming pine straw and such off the top.  We had talked about taking the pontoon back out again today, but Casey has a lot of homework to do, so decide to hang around the house. 

It’s now afternoon, and we’re both outside under the gazebo thoroughly enjoying this beautiful day.  While Casey does her homework, I decide to try a Tatuaje Black, which I pulled the trigger and bought a jar.  Of course, I wouldn’t really call it a jar as it’s not glass, more of a container I would say.  After opening it up, I pull the silver foil wrapped bundle out, and commence opening up the package.  They certainly didn’t skimp with the tape on this thing, that’s for sure.  I get an end open, stick my nose in, and give a long sniff.  Oh man does it smell good or what!  Like a really dark, rich coffee and earth.  I go ahead and pull the bundle out the foil wrap, untie the ribbon, and put the cigars in my little humi.  I grab one of the loose sticks, and head back out to the gazebo. 

Holding the cigar in my hand, it feels a little on the light side, and is a bit lumpy in spots when squeezing it.  There’s a fresh tobacco scent to it as I run it under my nose, which I’m thinking it may not be quite ready for smoking, but smoke it I am anyway.  The wrapper is a maduro shade, smooth and shiny in the sunlight, with the foot uncircumcised.  I clip the head, test the draw, and actually get good air flow even with the closed foot.  The taste in the cold draw is the same, that of really fresh tobacco with a slight barnyard smell.  I toast the foot, take several puffs, and smoke begins to flow well. 

I take a long draw, and then let the smoke slowly flow out from my mouth, only letting a small amount out from my nose.  There’s strong pepper that tinges the nostrils, and flavors are quite rich on the tongue tasting of strong wood, earth, and what seems to be a sweet cinnamon, or possibly ginger bread.  I ask Casey if she’d like to try it, which she takes it from me and gives a couple quick puffs.  She didn’t seem to quite enjoy it as much as I am, saying it was way strong for her.  Light weight…lol!
Getting further in, the burn is sharp enough with a nice, light gray ash forming that has a ring for each draw taken.  The draw is quite open; with a ton of white smoke being produced that I will say is definitely both full-bodied and full strength.  Flavors are consistent as previously described with the finish semi-lasting, having a somewhat charred wood aftertaste. 

I have to admit, with it being as warm as it is out here and a nice breeze blowing, I’m feeling a bit on the sleepy side, even after having slept in so late.  As usual, Max is passed out at our feet, sleeping like a baby, while Casey continues with schoolwork.  I’m about at the halfway mark with the Tat, and the strength of this thing is really out there.  Flavors are good in the initial exhale with the same strong wood and earth taste; however the charred wood is really becoming prominent in the finish.
I have to admit, the closer to the end I get, the more I have to take small sips from it as the strength is overpowering otherwise.  The flavors are still good, but the finish is very short with that charred wood taste coming through.  I think with some proper downtime, these cigars will be much better, hopefully tone down a bit.

Anybody else make sun tea?  Yep, that's a gallon size Mason jar (usually has my moonshine in it :D )

Loved the review, the pictures and the tea (as long as it's sweet)

Good job, Greg. I wonder if Pete still recommends 6 months down time on these, in the foil. When I had the jar, they mellowed out quite a lot.