• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Coronas Gigantes 1997

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Got to love a Saturday morning, early before anyone else is up.  Well, Tinker’s up with me wanting me to go back in the house and get his cat food.  But, he’ll have to wait for a bit as I’m getting ready to put fire to the Bolivar  Coronas Gigantes 1997 Bill (CigSid) hit me with.  I’m sure you can imagine how happy I was to receive it, and how really happy I am now to smoke it!  :D 

This cigar has been very well taken care of as it is in excellent condition.  The wrapper is a medium to dark brown, has patchwork veins throughout, and is very firm when squeezed with a nice triple cap on top.  It actually feels a little on the light size in the hand, and has slight stale, musty tobacco smell under the nose.  I go to smell the foot and find there are two small hair like stems sticking out that tickle my nose.  With the cap punched, I test the draw and dang it’s on the tight side, but I do get some air to flow through getting that same must tobacco. 

After getting the foot all nice and toasty, I blow on the embers until a glowing reddish orange covers it, and then take a few puffs.  I’m getting a decent amount of smoke out, but am still hoping the draw opens up more as it’s just not enough to really get good flavor.  I continue to take a couple quick puffs, and then a long, slow draw to hopefully warm it up some.  I’m thinking after the ash falls, I may go ahead and try clipping some off the head; however hate using this dadblame cutter.  Fixing to go search online as I sure do need to get one. 

About three quarters of an inch of medium to dark gray ash has formed, and while taking a draw it falls off easily.  I grab my cutter and luckily it does a decent job slicing off a small piece of the head.  It actually does help, but only slightly, but enough to get a good draw of smoke through.  Oh my my how I do love a Boli!  I'm getting strong wood, dark rich earth, and dark cocoa.  There's also a really good baked bread taste coming through with the finish long on the palate.  I let the smoke escape through my nose and there's a perfect amount of spiciness that comes through.  It has a nice burn that stays even enough, and the ash falls off easily at about every three quarters of an inch.  

It's our weekend with Jess, but we're taking her back a day early since tomorrow is mother's day.  We had planned on hitting the lake for a while before taking her back; however it just had to be cloudy and cool with a fairly strong wind blowing.  Beautiful all week, in the nineties, and of course the weekend gets here and turns to crap.  

Halfway in and the cigar goes out on me, so have to do a relight.  I have to say it's burning rather quickly, even though I'm really taking my time enjoying this smoke.  It started off at about medium strength and body, but after relighting it's definitely kicked up a notch to full.  As I'm sitting here, this crazy bird lands on my car side mirror and keeps jumping up and down looking in it.  Too funny. 

Heading into the final third, the cigar really starts to shine hitting the sweet spot.  The smoke coming through is incredibly rich, smooth and creamy on the palate with fantastic flavors leaving a long finish.  I usually let a cigar rest between draws, but am having a hard time letting this one sit very long.   

Close to the end, and my stomach is starting to rumble telling me it's time for some bacon and eggs.  Tinker too has been giving me the evil eye as his bowl is empty as well.   As much as I hate it, the smoke comes to an end, and man what a smoke it's been.  Bill, thanks so much for allowing me the opportunity to sample such a fine Boli specimen.  Thoroughly enjoyed it brother!  

Great review and you've gotta love those Boli's! I have one sitting in my humi that Bill gifted or traded me as well and after reading your review it looks like it's not going to last long in there.

Loved the review Greg! Glad you enjoyed the boli, I sorta knew you would... These have been in my aging humidor since August of 2002, and are still amazing after all these years....

Fantastic review as always... Thanks for sharing Greg!!

[SIZE=11pt]I can say, this is to be expected the best cigar I have ever smoke in a long time. It just perfect to burn, smooth draw, has a creamy notes of dark chocolate, coffee and spice, with a bit of leather, and the balance of all is amazing.[/SIZE]

brownpeter335 said:
I can say, this is to be expected the best cigar I have ever smoke in a long time. It just perfect to burn, smooth draw, has a creamy notes of dark chocolate, coffee and spice, with a bit of leather, and the balance of all is amazing.
<br /><br />Flagged for spam.

Fine review!  

-------------------------------------

investandprosper said:

I can say, this is to be expected the best cigar I have ever smoke in a long time. It just perfect to burn, smooth draw, has a creamy notes of dark chocolate, coffee and spice, with a bit of leather, and the balance of all is amazing.

Maybe not. 

grateful1 said:
Fine review!  

-------------------------------------

Maybe not. 

Just a casual link to the Brussels LCDH on the cigar keyword ... I bet his IP traces to Belgium.