• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What kind of idiot takes a 4x4 to the racetrack...?

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
Drove the Nürburgring yesterday.  I wish I could tell you all about it, but I had to concentrate so hard on not running anyone over or wrecking myself trying to keep to the right that I didn't really have the opportunity to just absorb it all.  Definitely an awesome time, though.  My brakes hated me by about the 10 kilometer mark (it's a 20+ kilometer course), and I hit the striped berms so many times I thought I was going to break a wheel off before I finished.  All in all a great time.  I would not take my truck out there again, but I plan on taking the Jeep when my buddy and I go back to lap with his SRT Challenger.  

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

A truck that size makes it too much like work. The Challenger should be fun. 

Looks like great fun. It would never occur to me to take a truck on a track like that. Depending on what other cars were on track that day, I'll bet you were like a rolling chicane to some of them.

I was thinking, I would do that, when I opened the thread I was happy to see you did it also. I've always wanted to drive a race car unimpeded by other cars( in Boston every road is a race track).

Looks like fun.

Good job on tracking that beast.

ETA - Did you get a ring decal to put on your back window?

thinde said:
A truck that size makes it too much like work. The Challenger should be fun. 
A Challenger is just a small truck (weight wise  :whistling: ) minus the crazy body roll.  My brother has one.  Fun as heck on the drag strip, not as fun on a curvy track.  With that said, Nurburgring... I'm jealous of you bro.

2K6TBSS said:
Good job on tracking that beast.

ETA - Did you get a ring decal to put on your back window?
  Of course I did!  :D

IMG_3515.jpg

As for the Challenger, that thing is definitely a beast.  No joke that it's wide and heavy.  We were doing about 140 mph on the Autobahn the other day, and if I didn't look at the speedometer, I'd have guessed we were doing between 95-110 mph.  It's built for a straight line, and it's a whale in corners.  Better than my truck, for sure, but I'm wearing a helmet when he's driving on the Ring.

I had been wanting to drive my truck on the course for four years, now.  I wanted to get that sticker and park next to the Supras and Skylines on base that have theirs', as well!  It's total novelty, but I can say I did it now.  I'm debating on if I want to take the Jeep out or not, as it's a lot more squirrely and even with the new suspension it has a lot of roll.  I'm not going for speed, of course, but I don't want to die, either.  I was by far the slowest vehicle during my lap that I saw, but I also saw photos from the same day of an electrician's van (fully equipped with a ladder on the roof!) taking the banking in the Karusell!  That place is truly a circus...

Found this link of me in action on the Karusell (if you can actually accurately describe that as "action"):  :D

http://www.tourifotos.de/galerie/album=280/datum=2014-06-01/seite=41.html

Funny  :)

I've always wanted to do "Der Grüne Hölle" on my two wheels, but then again, I've always found some other places that has taken priority. Like steep mountain passes with serpentiner hairpins and even gravel instead of the highpaced flat tarmac.  :cool:

I am truly jealous. We have a buddy heading over there next year and we originally though "Hey, it's only 16 hours to the Transfagarasan Highway in Romainia. We should vist and road trip". Why we didn't think of driving the ring, I have no idea.

Bitch, you took the Carousel wide.  Lol, I've done 6 laps on that track.  I bet bricks were shat at a truck running at the same time as Porsche GT2's and turbo'd E30's.   

Yeah, I hugged the right hand side the whole way.  I'm not going to lie.  I'm lucky if I broke 75-80 mph the entire run.  I so wanted to dip into the banking on the Karusell, but there was too much traffic around me.  In one of the pictures in that link, you can even see a motorcycle overtaking me on the inside of the high line because there was a Porsche that blew past both of us and took the inside track.  I think the berms/rumble strips were the worst part.  I could have held tighter to the corners, even not taking an optimum driving line, but those things kept kicking me back into the surface and I was afraid I was going to take out a motorcyclist.  I'm dumb and will end up taking the Jeep out there, I'm sure.  I don't expect anything faster, but hopefully I can get into the banking on the Karusell.

Six laps... man.  What kind of vehicle did you have over here?  I wish I remembered more of it, but honestly I was concentrating too hard on the driving to really take it all in.  Rock am Ring is this weekend, so it's closed down.  Maybe next weekend my buddy will be wanting to go again with his supercharged 6.1L Challenger.  I told him I'm driving up in a separate vehicle, because he may end up needing the ride home..

Damn, I envy you!

I wish I could have taken my GT500 out there back before I had to sell it (putting a car seat and and a dog in the back would be tough).

kann said:
Yeah, I hugged the right hand side the whole way.  I'm not going to lie.  I'm lucky if I broke 75-80 mph the entire run.  I so wanted to dip into the banking on the Karusell, but there was too much traffic around me.  In one of the pictures in that link, you can even see a motorcycle overtaking me on the inside of the high line because there was a Porsche that blew past both of us and took the inside track.  I think the berms/rumble strips were the worst part.  I could have held tighter to the corners, even not taking an optimum driving line, but those things kept kicking me back into the surface and I was afraid I was going to take out a motorcyclist.  I'm dumb and will end up taking the Jeep out there, I'm sure.  I don't expect anything faster, but hopefully I can get into the banking on the Karusell.

Six laps... man.  What kind of vehicle did you have over here?  I wish I remembered more of it, but honestly I was concentrating too hard on the driving to really take it all in.  Rock am Ring is this weekend, so it's closed down.  Maybe next weekend my buddy will be wanting to go again with his supercharged 6.1L Challenger.  I told him I'm driving up in a separate vehicle, because he may end up needing the ride home..

I was driving a BMW 135i with about 800 miles on it. :p  

Finally got around to uploading some video onto YouTube now that I have a decent internet connection (forgot it was on my computer, actually).  Before anyone comments, I never said I was fast, I just said I was there... :D

[youtube]http://youtu.be/J9AUnvjaZ14[/youtube]