• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Giving Up the Hobby

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
It’s been a little over three months since my last cigar, and the reason for me leaving my favorite hobby behind announced itself (again) this morning.  I woke up with a racing flutter in my chest. My resting heart rate jumped around from 120 to 160 beats a minute.  Afib. This time it only lasted three hours. It used to happen to me once or twice a year, but now the attacks are coming more frequently.

Tobacco is one of my identified triggers, along with stress, and of all things bananas.  Ironic, I guess, because smoking is the number one way I combat stress. I’ve been advised by my doctor to end my favorite habit. It feels weird to say, and I know that it’s stupid, but I feel like I am mourning a part of my personality. How dumb is that? I mean, it’s just leaf, smoke, and ash. I’ve got a wife, a baby, and decent job. It’s selfish for me to not quit. Still, there’s a lingering feeling of “this is some bullshit.”

I love all you guys, and this wonderful place Rod set up so many years ago. I feel bad that I haven’t made more of an effort to engage with the forum. I have no idea what I’m going to do.  

In all cases, do what you Dr says.  I would suggest that another opinion may not be a bad thing, either.  My mom has afib, and has never smoked a day in her life.  Three months later and you're having another episode, and the doctor says it's the cigars that are the trigger.??  Hmm...have to think about that.

You may quit cigars and still have the problem, at which point you and your doctor need to investigate further.  So many doctors will say 'quit smoking' without giving the cigar lifestyle a second thought.  I've been completely honest with my primary care doctor, and he is quite unconcerned about any effects of cigars on my health (well, at this point anyway).

Smoke cigars or not, the forums will be here.  Best of luck to you....

Thanks, BBS. I wish that just quitting would make it go away. Something is wrong with the electrical wiring of my heart. My first episode was back in 2008, and I've had them once or twice a year since then up until last year and the start of this year. Now it comes every couple of months. I'm only 31, and the cardiologist is hopeful that cutting down on as many triggers as possible will mean that I can avoid going on the anti-arrhythmic drugs that have horrible side effects, or an ablation. 

Basically, what Tom said!

To add to that... What's your weight like Marc?

I've never been formally diagnosed, but I have the problem where my heart feels like it's doing the Mambo in my chest, and the heartbeat gets all wonky.

Stress is a big factor! However I'm 6'4' and as soon as my weight gets into the 245 range, I feel it. Not only with the episodes, but how My body manages stress and anxiety, etc. If I excercise regularly and eat a decent diet I feel great around the 220 range. I feel better, sleep better, process caffeine better, and process nicotine better. Not to mention the heart flutter episodes seem non existent.

I've always maintained that cigar smoking isn't hobby. Those who say it is are just fooling themselves. It's a vice, plain and simple. Smoking is not good for you. If your physician says you need to quit do so. It will dramatically reduce your chances of a heart attack. It will not however reduce your chances, one bit, for cancer.

Doc

Wishing you the best of luck with your situation and maybe some clarification on it.  Obviously the most important thing is your health and family.  Stick around if you can, you don't need to smoke in order to be part of this family.

I know that a pacemaker changed my dad's quality of life incredibly, for the better.  If it's a 'wiring problem' that may be the right answer.  

As the other guys have said, weight, smoking, exercise, etc. all matter and the right answer probably isn't one thing.  Rather, a combination of things that will add up to some success.

Guys,

I appreciate all the advice. John, getting to a healthy weight is a goal of mine, and it would reduce the overall risk for stroke, which is what the main issue I have to be concerned about with afib.

I'm going to have to modify a great deal of life beyond smoking. 

Start with replacing soda pop with club soda and sparkling water. You can add small amounts of fruit juice if you like or citrus. Best of luck with your health goals.

Definitely follow your doctors orders and wishing you well and healthy outcome brother.

Sorry to hear this.

Yes I would get a second opinion and would look at a place that only does heart work. You would be suprised to learn how places that only deal with one part of the body or disease can make a difference in treatment and outcomes.

A very good friend of mine has a wiring issue causing afib and he has managed to reduce the frequency, but it still happens periodically.  Do what it takes.

Sorry to hear this Marc, but health is #1, especially as young as you are. Make sure you stop by from time to time.

A little weird saying this on a smoking forum..
If cigar's gotta go, they gotta go.  Smoking isn't worth sacrificing health over.

Well, I don't have afib, but I've had prostate cancer since 1997. That time they wanted to take it out. I said no to surgery but yes to radiation. My wife insisted I see more uRO guys and I did. They yelled let's take it out, I said no. Now my regular doc says time for a check up, sends me for blood work, sends me to the uRO guy.

Blood work is fine, my PSA is 15 points lower and my uRO guy smokes cigars himself. Seventeen years later I'm getting better?

Like BBS said, you are young, but opinions are like butts, we all have one. Really suggest a second opinion, or a third or give it some time and see if you issues do or do not go away.

Wish you the best whatever road you follow.

That really sucks. I hope you find the right formula. Good luck.

the 2 big ones are health an family, and they go hand in hand Brother.

Make the right informed choices for you and your family, and just because you stop smoking does not mean you have to stop stopping by.....

all the best wishes

T