• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sad News, Johnny Winter Has Passed Away

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
So sad because he had big plans to promote his duet album with Clapton, Dr. John, Billy Gibbons, Mark Knopfler, Joe Perry, and more. Then he was going to tour with Edgar on a 'Brothers Tour'. The blues family at large will miss him deeply, as will I....Godspeed Johnny.

LINK

Damn. I remember seeing him live, opening for LZ many, many years ago.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
Damn. I remember seeing him live, opening for LZ many, many years ago.

Doc

Damn your generation had some great shows.  That would've been a treat.

RIP Johnny.

It also included MC-5. I bought the ticket the day of the show for $5. Sat behind some Hell's Angels. Great bunch of guys. :whistling:

Doc

MC5.....kick out the Jams Mother f'er.

I still have a couple of Johnny's LP's Great stuff (His brother Edgar isn't half bad either)

RIP Brother Winter!

I have a ton of original albums gathering dust in the basement,  I should break them out and smoke.  A cigar of course.  Still have one of his songs on my Ipad that I bought remixed.  Used to be in my top 5 artists.  Got some Edgar stuff too.

Oh damn.  What a loss.  I used to have "Nothing But the Blues" on vinyl, recorded in an all-tube studio with classic blues instruments like dobro and tack piano.  He will surely be missed!

~Boar

Devil Doc said:
It also included MC-5. I bought the ticket the day of the show for $5. Sat behind some Hell's Angels. Great bunch of guys. :whistling:

Doc

That seems like an odd combination.  Great lineup, but odd nonetheless.

I saw him quite a few times at MSG, Fillmore East, Nassau Coliseum, the old Roosevelt Stadium and I think the Capital Theater...sometimes with his band, Johnny Winter And, and sometimes guest appearing (Doobie Bros, Rick Derringer, Allman Bros, Clapton, Mountain, his brother Edgar, West, Bruce & Laing, Muddy Waters). That was the cool thing about him, you'd never know when he would pop in and jam with someone....when he was semi-clean & drug free. Every time we saw him on stage, you never knew if he looked the way he did from being an albino or from being a junkie...and we always seemed to lean towards junkie when you saw him in comparison to Edgar, who looked healthier and not thin and frail. But man, could he play a mean slide guitar. Nobody could play a steel dobro guitar like him...the only one even close was Mark Knopfler.

Weird thing, a week before he died, I was going to buy tickets to see him in concert at the State Theatre in New Brunswick, NJ the night before the QSH. So sad...I can't wait to buy his new album in September which will be bitter sweet.