• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hemingway Hamburger (link to pics)

classyndry

on injured reserve
I found a recipe for Ernest Hemingway's Hamburger online a while back, and finally fixed it up.  It was pretty labor intensive, but I ended up with a very different, and very delicious result:

http://bonvivantva.com/?p=4056

whylieineedacigar said:
Nicely done, what kind of tobacco did you put in the pipes that day?

Peter Stokkebye 23 B&B, Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader, Frog Morton, Presbyterian, and Solani aged burley flake are the tins in my current rotation.  I think my buddy was smoking some nightcap.

That's a lot going on in a burger.

Reminds me of meatloaf on a bun.

I stopped reading at MSG. I need that in my diet like I need another hole in my head.

Doc

bfreebern said:
That's a lot going on in a burger.

Reminds me of meatloaf on a bun.

I read another blog post where someone had the same opinion.  They said they might try to adapt the recipe to make straight meatloaf.  

classyndry said:

Nicely done, what kind of tobacco did you put in the pipes that day?

Peter Stokkebye 23 B&B, Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader, Frog Morton, Presbyterian, and Solani aged burley flake are the tins in my current rotation.  I think my buddy was smoking some nightcap.

Love the Frog Morton, I need to restock on that one.

My Chef friend taught me to add ground Liver to my ground beef. Simple and delicious. He said it is an old trick.

MadMonk said:
My Chef friend taught me to add ground Liver to my ground beef. Simple and delicious. He said it is an old trick.

What's the reasoning behind this madness? One of the things I enjoy eating while drinking a cold beer is chicken liver mousse on crispy toasted bread.

whylieineedacigar said:

What's the reasoning behind this madness? One of the things I enjoy eating while drinking a cold beer is chicken liver mousse on crispy toasted bread.

It's about flavor. Organ meats add a lot of it. 

whylieineedacigar said:

I love me some chicken liver mousse on crisp bread!

whylieineedacigar said:
I will have to give it a try.
Try about 3.5 oz of liver to 20 oz of beef. Also, freeze a 3 of TBL of butter, and the grinder apparatus beforehand. Grind the beef, dropping the butter in a bit at a time as the beef is ground. Put this in the freezer for a while, to get the butter firm again. Then cut up the liver, and do the same, dropping bits of liver into the beef as it goes through the grinder a second time. Do about a 4-5 oz patty as loosely packed as possible (adds to the juicy goodness). It will be delicious. Also, this is sort of a secret in the restaurant biz. Some folks add salt to the mix. 

MadMonk said:

Try about 3.5 oz of liver to 20 oz of beef. Also, freeze a 3 of TBL of butter, and the grinder apparatus beforehand. Grind the beef, dropping the butter in a bit at a time as the beef is ground. Put this in the freezer for a while, to get the butter firm again. Then cut up the liver, and do the same, dropping bits of liver into the beef as it goes through the grinder a second time. Do about a 4-5 oz patty as loosely packed as possible (adds to the juicy goodness). It will be delicious. Also, this is sort of a secret in the restaurant biz. Some folks add salt to the mix. 

Thank you for the recipe! Should I trim the fat off the beef because of the amount of butter I'll be adding? I usually like my burgers to have an 80/20 ratio.

whylieineedacigar said:

Thank you for the recipe! Should I trim the fat off the beef because of the amount of butter I'll be adding? I usually like my burgers to have an 80/20 ratio.

The beauty of this recipe is that you can use less expensive cuts of meat, which is what the butter compensates for. I would say try it both ways, i.e., a nice piece of chuck or mix of rib meat, chuck from the neck (sweeter), and liver or any piece of meat, liver, and the butter. I'm going to try this Hemingway recipe, but add the liver and possibly the butter.