• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

UAV/FPV Electric RC Drones

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Is anyone into flying drones? I'm amazed by how far the technology has come. There are a couple of RC drones out there, which allow you to input the coordinates of where you want it to fly (several miles away), you hit start, and it takes off on its route. It will shoot video the entire way, and then come back and land automatically. Really amazing.

The two I found which seem to be the best are the DJI Phantom and the Parrot AR Drone.

In any case, seems like a fun device to play with, and I see it being very useful in search and rescue, LA wildfires, etc.  

Here's a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gg3CJEndak

A lot of clamoring in law enforcement and military circles over this technology. I won't be surprised if very strict laws are brought into this arena.

I agree.  With any new technology, there's always going to be those people who use it the wrong way. Having the ability to fly an object anywhere you want (even several miles aways) and have it shoot hi-def video can be good and bad at the same time.

I read the FAA is working on a new set of licenses for unmanned craft (drones).  They're predicting 10k plus new jobs by 2016 or 2018 for drone pilots.

Amazon is pushing hard for the FAA to grant them drone airspace.  Pretty soon, your Amazon packages will arrive within 30 min via a drone.

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=8037720011

Sure would be kinda cool to have CP drones deliver packages instead of USPS.

CMontoya79 said:
Sure would be kinda cool to have CP drones deliver packages instead of USPS.
:D More reliable and less tude!

Altitude deconfliction is my biggest concern/fear.  Downrange I've almost ran into the damn things more times than I care to count; I can only imagine how difficult it will be if they become widely proliferated in US airspace. 

Here's a little food for thought:  linky

My concern is one of these things getting sucked into a jet engine.  I'd imagine that would be worse than a bird strike. 

From what your describing your really not doing the flying, right? It sounds pretty neat though I'd rather be in control. Of course I have a little rc heli but I suck at flying it. Never could fly it's big brother either so I sold it.

I just need to stick to rc cars I think. Used to race them when younger, picked it back up a few years back but ran into real life..love tech stuff though. :)