• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Heating oil smell abatement.

bluue13

Back during the winter our heating oil tank sprung a leak at the bottom.  The oil company was able to put an emergency magnet patch on it, but we knew we had to replace the tank sooner than later.

Well this week we finally were able to schedule a replacement.  I knew there would be some fuel odor especially with the pumping of the fuel from the old tank to the new, disconnecting and reconnecting lines, inadvertent spillage of a drop or two of oil/sludge, etc.  I know it will go away with time, but does anyone have any tips on how to make it go away faster?  I've got some bowls of white vinegar and some coffee grounds down there, but I'm sure many of you know the smell of oil is pretty overpowering.

Thanks, all!

A similar situation happened to me. My oil dealer had some spray stuff that worked real well. He left the can. I'm surprised yours didn't do the same for you.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
A similar situation happened to me. My oil dealer had some spray stuff that worked real well. He left the can. I'm surprised yours didn't do the same for you.

Doc

He may, Doc.  They actually have to come back.  The old tank is still down there.  They were trying to help us out and get the tank up from the basement without having to cut it.  I guess its just too heavy to bring it up with the hand truck so they're coming back another day to cut it and take it out.  I know a bit of the smell will go with the old tank, but there will be residual, no doubt.  I'll ask about it the next time they're here.

Take from a guy that does this for a living. The smell is mainly coming from the old tank since it's probably sitting down there with no caps and I would tell the installers to man the fuck up get it outside to cut it. DO NOT let them cut it in the house the smell will increase drastically. Your tank will have at least 3" of thick sludge on the bottom that will spit and splatter all over when they cut it.

As for the smell they make a product called a Cherry Bomb and it is sold anywhere heating equipment and oil products are sold. FW Webb should have them down there so get a couple of those and put them down in the basement. They are a white container the size of a hockey puck.

Good luck.
Paul

Paul- Sorry I didn't see this til now.  Been away.

They did end up cutting it in the basement, but the smell isn't actually that bad.  There was no splatter thankfully and I was able to have all the windows open, which is the plus of having it done now.

Coffee grounds and white vinegar have worked miracles for me so far and the smell is basically gone.

Thanks guys!  Paul, next time I need oil tank service I'll give you a call and pay you with some Herf time! haha

Damn I'm glad we have natural gas out here.

This a great advertisement for a double walled oil tank. Roth makes the most affordable version for the home....highly recommended. 

Rod said:
Damn I'm glad we have natural gas out here.

Rod, I hear you.  I grew up with natural gas.  The problem is, around here, the NG company doesn't run lines everywhere.  Then every so often they do this neighborhood program where if enough people on your street get together and want to convert, they run some sort of deal.  I hate having oil.  Thankfully, we heat our home with a pellet stove, so we only need the oil for hot water, saves us a ton of $$.

ironpeddler said:
This a great advertisement for a double walled oil tank. Roth makes the most affordable version for the home....highly recommended. 

Gary, the new tank actually is a double walled tank thank God!  Its brand new, manufacturing date of 2/2014.  I'm not foreseeing a leak to be an issue in the next 20 or so years.  *knock on wood*

If you don't mind my asking, what did this set you back?

We're still trying to sell our current house (which does have natural gas). A lot of the houses we're looking to buy have oil (or even electric heat pumps. Which, I didn't realize actually worked this far north). Most of what we're looking at will require some degree of renovation, so I imagine a new oil tank might be in my future.

Pipe Smoker said:

We're still trying to sell our current house (which does have natural gas). A lot of the houses we're looking to buy have oil (or even electric heat pumps. Which, I didn't realize actually worked this far north). Most of what we're looking at will require some degree of renovation, so I imagine a new oil tank might be in my future.

All said and done it was around $1300.  It was also sort of an "I know a guy" special for any of my fellow paesanos out there  :whistling:

You probably won't find a quote for much cheaper than that.  Good luck!  :thumbs:

Pipe Smoker said:

Depending on the tank you choose or have you'd be anywhere from $1100-$1600. Of course material prices change from state to state. Electric heat pumps are becoming more and more efficient in colder temps as technologies advances and the way new refrigerants run. There are some systems out there that run down to -26F and still put out over 90% capacity. I have two office buildings here in Manchester NH that have just electric heat pump systems and run great.