• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

If you won the Lottery...

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
I have always toyed with the idea of if I won the lottery, as I'm sure most of you have done. If I won, here is an idea of what I would do:
10% would go to charity. I'd give to my church, the Engineering school at CU, my wife's choice at UVA, CRA, and something like Wounded Warriors.
10% would go to family.
Spend some for fun stuff like new car for the wife, vacation, stuff for the house, cigars/whiskey/wine
Then, pay off debt, college fund for kids, invest in something, go back to college and get an MBA to learn about business for my investments.
I'm not sure what else, but I think it's a good start.

Retire! Amongst the standard responsible things a person should do, the main thing would be to make sure my son was financially set but,
place some limits on how much he could get as, and until, he matured. He has a pretty remarkable head on his shoulders but, better safe than sorry.

For decadence, a new full tube Stereo system, and a trip to Italy and Greece.

Hmmm, pay off my parent's mortgage.  Same for my bro and his house.  Buy them each a nice car.  Buy myself a nice house and car.  Keep a large portion in the bank/investments.  Buy a lot of goalie gear/cigars/booze.  Maybe pay for a trip with my friends and I to go on a vacation somewhere.

I'm smitten with the new GMC truck.  

I'd pay off my folks' place in PA, take care of my immediate family, sock some away for the kids, buy our place in Ireland, a condo here in Hawaii, and sit back until my wife retires from the Air Force in two years.  Then, we'd be some travelin' motherfoogers.  The kids can fend for themselves.  

I'd also go and get that waitress tonight at the restaurant on the North Shore to be my concubine...

I think we'd just take a year off to go spend some time in the UK with the wife's family and travel Europe, etc. Even spend some of that time traveling our own back yard.

During that time I would have our financial advisor come up with something investment wise and family gift wise that won't leave us bankrupt after six months.

Definitely need a flat in the UK to make the wife happy. A house here! Not something do big and garish that I get lost in it. Just something comfortable with nice creature comforts like a pool, home theater, and on several acres of land.

College for my last two kids. ;)

Well it depends on how much you win, doesn't it?

If it was a smaller amount i would probably pay everything off and invest the rest in some form, to help the kids later on, etc.

If it was a large amount and I could swing it, i would pay everything off of mine, my immediate family's, and some close friends and maybe some other family members that aren't so immediate. Essentially to give them all a clean slate. At that point what you do with what you have is your choice. The struggle would be deciding who was on the list, because even though I would want everyone on the list there still has to be a list.

My hope would be that all could start anew, and do the things they wanted to do, all while still be able to "save" and not have dreaded bills hanging over their head.

After that I would probably move to somewhere quiet, where I could just relax and no one knew who I was.

1. RUN....not walk....to my financial & tax guys for help.

2. Retire.

3. Pay off families mortgages and have funds/trusts set up that would keep them comfortable for life.

4. Cull out a percentage to be donated to charities of choice annually.

5. Secure a flat in Provence and either Maui or Turks & Caicos.

6. Campaign whatever is the hot sport sailboat at the time stocked with pro sailors.

7. Match race....A LOT!

8. Build a walk-in similar to what Kris has and have A LOT of fun stocking it.

Pay off bills, buy a house, and a Aston Martin V12 Vanquish and 1956 F100 to start.

1.  Pay off everything.
2.  Give enough to my immediate family, so they can be debt free and have enough in the bank.
3.  Buy land and build a house.
4.  Retire
5.  Invest in real estate.
6.  Buy a Jeep Brute from AEV
7.  Raise our kids / be a stay at home dad.
8.  Travel within the states - Buy a motorhome and see the National Parks first.
9.  Travel the world
10.  Buy an outfitter business in the BWCA

Buy any and every cigar I want.

I play the three "big" lotteries here---Powerball, Mega Millions, and Texas Lottery---once a week.  The first two are $2 and the Texas Lottery is $1, so it's a 5-spot a week.  A Starbucks latte costs that, so I figure, what the hell.   :rolleyes:

And even though the odds of winning Mega Millions are somewhat less than, say, the odds of being eaten by a shark . . . while being struck by lightning . . . during a plane crash . . . I will admit that I have a "plan" in place for virtually every level of jackpot.

At the high end, a family trust fund gets created and no Plumb ever has to work for a living at anything they don't love doing again---we're artists and writers and theater folk and musicians and such, so most of us actually want to do what we're doing.  At the low end . . . I pay off all the bills and retire early. At about the $4M post-tax mark . . . I retire NOW, debt free.  At about the $7-8M post-tax mark . . . I retire now, debt free, in Santa Barbara. With an ocean view.   :cool:  

While I don't have kids, I do have two adorable grandnieces who'd be getting generous college funds, whatever the jackpot.

But hookers and blow---or at least really expensive cigars and ridiculously old single malt Scotches---are still very much on the list.   ;)

~Boar

If the money was enough, I'd open my own research institution and hire all my buddies as scientist. I'd fund them to work on what ever they wanted, with a portion of potential patent revenues being returned to the institution. Also, Fridays would be half day meetings at the open company bar.

After paying off all my loans,
my family's loans,
buying a nice house,
donating,
traveling,

a box of 50th anniv Padrons.  Only way I'll be able to afford a full box lol.

If I were to hit it really big (50M after taxes and lump sum):

1. pay off all debts for family
2. donate 10%
3. invest 50% into stable funds
4. travel for a couple of months
5. Start up my own company with friends that I want to work with.  This last part is the trickiest cuz there's lot of friends I'd love to hang out with at work...but I think I'd have to hire people I truly believe would bring value.

Assuming I'm clearing around 50 million or so....

1) Hire someone to manage/advise my money
2) Hire a person to watch the money manager

Take care of Parents, Grandparents, and my Brother - Houses, Cars, Etc...
Establish an annual automatic donation for kids in low income areas.
Finish my MBA in Boston instead of online

Buy hunting Property in Arkansas - love me some duck hunting!
Buy Condo in Whistler, B.C to Mountain Bike
Buy a grip of DH MTN Bikes
Buy a home in Colorado
Build an insane shop that I could fabricate/build in
Buy F350 jacked up on 40's
Buy F350 dually slammed on 26s, air-ride, etc.
Buy GT 40
Buy RV
Buy Trailer to haul behind RV or truck
Buy Snowmobiles - Ski-doo, Polaris
Bikes - KTM 500, 300, RC8, etc....
Buy a Mastercraft boat
Build AC Cobra
Build Prerunner
Build Rock-Crawler

Of course the House would have a walk in Humidor and a Man-cave dialed, which could be smoked in...
Lots of CCs and Limited Edition Padrons, etc.

Figure about 7 million gone from jump street for the above....

The rest would be invested, managed and hopefully grown exponentially....
An average return of .07% a year would give me about 3 million a year rolling in to live off of.

Good thread, gave me something awesome to dream about!