• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban Cigar Newbie

tradosaurus

I was given a box of Cohiba cigars by my son's girlfriend who came to visit us from Honduras.  

The box says 25 Robustos Hecho a Mano on one side and La Haban Cuba on another side of the box. 

I've heard of fake cigars so how do I spot a fake?  I apologize if I'm asking a question that has already been asked. 

The box looks like this picture. 

img_1703.jpg

I do not know enough about fakes to be able to help you in that sense, but I will give you a bit of advise.

Coming into a forum like this and having your first post be something along the lines of "hey can you authenticate this" is considered to be bad form.  There is a HUGE amount of knowledge here, why don't you head over to the Introduce Yourself section and post a little intro so we all know a bit about you.

After you have spent a little time here searching around, you will probably find your answer.  If not, then you would be more than welcome to ask, and would get the answers you seek.

Welcome to CP!

Another question you can ask yourself is "Would my son's girlfriend be able to blow around $350 on a gift?"

And nobody will be able to help you by you posting a picture of a box that looks like the one you have. If you hang around here for a while, you should post actual pictures of your box and cigars with a clear view of the bands. Welcome to CP!

They have to be fake, as they appear to have a Gauntleys watermark on them.

Smoke 'em. If you like 'em you like 'em. If you don't you don't. It sounds like your relationship with stogies might be short.

If they were bought in Honduras, they're fake. 99.999%.

Post an actual photo or we won't be able to tell you 100%... but again, from Honduras, 99.999% fake.

bfreebern said:
Isn't there an LCDH in Roatan?

The LCDH has been closed for three years now, since the Canadian owner (Kevin Miller) passed away...

That's funny that he can post a picture from the internet, but can't post a picture of his box... It looks exactly like this one... ???

Just for the hell of it, take one of the cigars out, and post several pictures of it closeup. 

I apologize but I've had a lot of family in town plus a son starting two-a-days in football.  

Can you open the packaging inside of the box so that we can see the band of the cigar more clearly? If I'm not mistaken, the C on the bands is wrong.

Fake. The fonts are off on the box. It should say Habana, Cuba on the side not La Habana Cuba. Warranty seal is crap, Chevron label should be on top right and the warranty label on bottom left. Cohiba should be centered on lid. That's just to name a few without seeing the cigars.

The seal is definitely fake and it is placed incorrectly. The Habanos sticker is fake and it is backwards...

Kris, I didn't see your post, but you are correct...

Light this! said:
Fake. The fonts are off on the box. It should say Habana, Cuba on the side not La Habana Cuba. Warranty seal is crap, Chevron label should be on top right and the warranty label on bottom left. Cohiba should be centered on lid. That's just to name a few without seeing the cigars.
I appreciate the information.  If they were real i didn't want to have to worry about preserving them.  LOL

I wonder if they are worth smoking?  

Sometimes the fakes can smoke ok. But there could be anything in them. Cut one open and dissect to see if it is at least long leaf and likely smokeable. Keep in mind if they are dried out, they will likely be bland and flavorless. They will also smoke faster dry and likely cause bitterness in flavor as such.