• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Las Calaveras by Crowned Heads

jsm11

Secret Squirrel
[SIZE=8pt]The Las Calaveras by Crowned Heads is truly a Cigar that everyone should try.  It’s a great cigar, smooth, and produced in limited numbers.  If your reading this now, and thinking about trying to find some, maybe your local B&M as I’ve scoured the World Wide Web in an attempt to find a box with little success. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]As with most of the Cigars I smoke, it’s accompanied by a beer.  Beer of choice for this was a Sam Adams Oktoberfest, which on its own was magnificent.  I eagerly anticipate its release every year.  This year was no different.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]My lighter is the tried and true Xicar tabletop, which I happen to love.  No imparting of flavor from the light, at least from what I can discern.  And with the triple jet, always an efficient, quick, clean toast to the foot and away I go.  I like using matches as well, and will generally use matches if there is a touchup needed along the way.  I loathe using bic/traditional style flame lighters, as I swear all I can taste is the fuel from the lighter.  I’d almost rather not smoke if I have to use a standard lighter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Cigar:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Las Calaveras by Crowned Heads[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Length:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]6x52 Toro[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Description of Strength / Profile:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Full[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Smoking Time:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]1.5hours[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Cigar Aged: No[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Smoked one at the lounge[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Smoked one at home [/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Put one away for a rainy day…[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Have not smoked one with age, I will smoke my last one with significant age.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Procurement:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]The Calaveras is my first Cigar from the much heralded Crowned Heads line and I stumbled upon it as a recommendation by my local B&M owner.  Showed up and asked for the smoothest stick under $10 and this is what he picked out.  It also helps that he sold it on the premise, that it was limited edition and there will be no more.  I pulled the last three sticks from the box and off I went.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]I will say that I’ve been smoking a couple years now and am attempting a move towards trying limited edition / small batch, of which this was one.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Prelight:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]The wrapper on all three of these sticks was tremendous.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]The wrapper is a smooth chocolate, slight bit of oil and the cigar is capped excellently.  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Very little discernable veins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Construction is firm and solid all throughout, no discernable soft spots.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]I don’t know how to judge smells, and will suffice it to say that this smells like good tobacco, a little hint of spice.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Clip the cap with my scissors and away I go….[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Light:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Toast the foot, and I am rewarded with the a great tobacco smell, I raise the cigar and breathe in once more, this time with the lighter chasing the stick and I receive  a mouth full of smoke.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Smoke:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]I will say right off the bat that the smoke production on this stick was excellent, lots of smoke off an easy draw.  And speaking of draw, the construction of this stick is excellent, easy draw.  As I place the lighter down and begin to work on the first I have to remember to set it down and let it warm up and hit its true flavor profile.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]1/3:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Excellent[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Slight hint of Pepper and strong smoke output, overall very, very smooth, as was recommended by the local B&M.  Normally, they have some jabronie kids working the register/tending the shop, and although well meaning, don’t know much IMO.  I lucked out that the Owner was actually there and threw some solid recommendations.  I have other sticks to review that he said were a do not miss.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]2/3:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Excellent[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Not much in terms of a flavor change, and sticking with a similar profile to the first 1/3.  Construction is still excellent, and I’m taking about a minute and a half-two minutes between puffs.  Just trying to make the stick last, it’s too good.  At this point I’m onto my second beer, still Sam Adams Oktoberfest.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]3/3:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Good[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]I actually set it down during this point for 5-6 minutes and went to the restroom and looked up a score on the game and back to the garage I went expecting that I would need to relight (I grabbed matches out of the drawer) and found that 2-3 double puffs and away I went.  Even with hitting it hard there was not an ill change to the flavor profile or temperature of the stick, still reasonable smoke output, good burn line.  Towards the wrapper the flavor dropped off, still good mind you.  But, the magic that made this stick excellent, is no longer there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]I’m going to take a stab at a rating system based, based on my personal opinion 1-10.  This is a departure from my pass/fail designation.  This is an attempt to better catalogue the cigars I’m smoking and it may help you all as well.  My pinnacle cigar is the Padron Family Reserve in Natural or Maduro.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Rating:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]9/10[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Damn good cigar, I tired to find a box online while smoking it and was unsuccessful.  I am sold on the Crowned Heads line and will be looking to try the Jericho Hill series.  Perfect construction and great flavor.  I’ve seen this stick rated as full and I would have to disagree, as I found it to be medium-full in strength. [/SIZE]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11986]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11987]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11988]