• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Time for Mel's annual visit (or, "Are You Ready For Some NCAA

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
College football is upon us once again.  A new championship format is in place this season, and though it still leaves much to be desired, it should still be better than the old BCS deal.  How'd everyone fare in Week 1?

Notre Dame hammered Rice after a slow start.  Golson's return from exile-via-stupidity went well, and he looks pretty damn good.  Kid has a helluva arm that he never had during the 2012 season.  I believe the talking heads proclaimed ND's schedule as the second toughest in college football this year.  Can't wait to see how they do against Michigan next week.  That will be really telling on how the rest of the season is going to go.

SEC is looking mediocre so far, almost as a whole.  Then again, I am not a fan of early season rankings as it is.

I went to the Hawaii/Washington game Saturday evening.  It was a fun time, but there was easily a better showing for the visiting team than there was for the home team.  Very sad, even for a Norm Chow outfit.  I expected Hawaii to lose, but they surprised me.  They kept it very close and I think a questionable late hit call (from what I could see, anyway) kept them from actually winning this one.  Still, losing by one point to a ranked team could be considered a moral victory for the Warriors.  I hope they continue to build off the way they played Saturday.  I don't think they'll make a bowl this year, but they should get a few wins.

Also, UH cheerleaders are hot.  Just an observation.  

Yeah yeah...I am excited about this season but I have just been dealing with a few folks in my life with some pretty life-altering crap.  My dad started chemo last week so that has had me preoccupied for a while.  But yeah...I got your ROLL TIDE!! :)

melly

Hope your dad gets better Mel...

On a lighter note....looks like the Aggies are going to steam-roll bama this year. :thumbs:

Clemson fan here and I hope it will be a decent season. Going to the Auburn/ Gamecocks game to hopefully see the tigers kill the cocks.

Geaux Tigers. We'll see how we do. Hopefully I get to watch a few games live and the rest on delay.

ClemTigers said:
Clemson fan here and I hope it will be a decent season. Going to the Auburn/ Gamecocks game to hopefully see the tigers kill the cocks.
You're skipping the Syracuse/homecoming game to see the yard birds get curb stomped (hopefully)??

Good luck with your Dad, Melly.  We'll keep you in our thoughts.

Good bounce back by the SEC this weekend, though the competition was mostly typical early week Junior Varsity opposition (Hey, when it comes to conferences I'm an SEC guy, myself, but you know I'm not wrong!).  Nice to see Arkansas get the confidence booster they needed like that.  The Big 10 seems to have had an unexpected (but not unwelcomed) bowel movement and some pundits are already writing them out of the playoffs to come.  Here's a tissue, Ohio State.  Suck it.

Hey, Big Blue:  31-0.  

Good night.

BigJake6904 said:
Hope your dad gets better Mel...

On a lighter note....looks like the Aggies are going to steam-roll bama this year. :thumbs:
SO not worried ;-)  However they do get Bama after a couple of weeks on the road; though Ole Piss and Arkansas don't put the shivers down the ole spine.  Next week with Miss State playing my Alma Mater, USA, I am looking forward to that one.  My brother will have all sorts of issues since he graduated from Miss State then finished Med school at USA.  I am just excited to get nuts with the football watching!! Love it! 
JHolmes763 said:
Just cruising through to give ya a war damn eagle, Melly. :)
Oh I knew you would dearest and to that I say a HUGE...ROLL TIDE!!! Damn that feels good to say that ;-)

Wow what a season so far!  I have been absent because unfortunately my father passed away last Monday on the 13th.  We laid him to rest on Thursday and I have been crying ever since.  However I did take a break and love the beating that Alabama put on the Aggies.  So I am pretty happy to see the teams in the top 5 right now.  So ROLL TIDE and I feel sorry for you Tenn this weekend.  I predict a beatdown baby!!

Melly

Sorry to hear about your father, may he RIP.

Sorry to hear that, Melly. I just went through the same and know how painful it is. 

Sorry to hear about your dad Mel may he rest in peace.

Paul

Thanks guys. I only cry a few times a day now.  On football... I am not sure I am gonna love this play off system vs the BCS.  What do y'all think?  A lot of people hate the SEC...

Sorry to hear about your father, Mel.  We will continue to keep you in our thoughts.

I would like the playoff system better if there were six teams and no conference ties.  The top ranking teams in the polls get into the playoffs -- if they are four or six SEC teams, so be it.  If the brackets are Big10, Pac 12, Big XIII- heavy... oh well.  The best teams should play each other.  There shouldn't be some conference quota.  If there continues to be, then the playoffs are no better than the BCS system.

ND-FSU:  I'm upset about that final play, of course.  However, if they continuously take the game down to the last play, sooner or later it's not going to go their way.  Just so happens Saturday night they came up short (crappy call, or not).  We'll see how the rest of the season shakes out.  With the current 1 and 3 playing each other in a few weeks and the typical SEC gauntlet, there may be a slight chance for ND to slip into the playoffs if they win out.  I'm not holding my breath right now.  

Good to see Alabama bounce back from that close game against the Hogs.  Arkansas fooled me.  I thought they were coming around, but Georgia proved otherwise.  I think the Dawgs have been playing better WITHOUT Gurley.  They don't seem to be missing him too much...

There are no conference ties. If B1G doesn't get someone in the top 4, then they won't go. 

6 or 8 would be far better, too. 

Sure sorry about your father.  It's a tough deal. 

Steve

JHolmes763 said:
There are no conference ties. If B1G doesn't get someone in the top 4, then they won't go. 

6 or 8 would be far better, too. 

I was under the impression that there was a conference "quota" or max conference participation, anyway.  That's good to hear.  I'm not sure about the "playoff selection committee", though.  Let the polls decide it.  Top four in the AP go.  What's to decide?