• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do you see the Gallery as a valuable feature?

Would you miss the Gallery if it were removed?

• Yes, please don't get rid of it.

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • No, I use other photo hosting sites.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Doesn't matter - if you get rid of it I'll use another free photo hosting site.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I've been looking at our forum software recently, and am considering moving to another platform. This is just a thought at this point...

The other platform I'm looking at is far more streamlined, faster, simpler interface, etc.  Only drawback is that it does not have a built in gallery.  In order to maintain the gallery, I'd have to purchase a 3rd party plugin, which is fine, I'm just not sure we'd be able to keep our gallery as it is today.  They say you can, but importing data/images can be challenging. So I'm curious how many people would oppose the migration assuming the new platform won't have a gallery.

We would certainly retain all forum data with no problem. 

Please vote.  thanks

I prefer off site photo storage myself. I'd love to see Tapatalk photo functionality enabled here though. It would make posting picks from my phone a breeze.

If you get rid of the gallery, sure, folks would move to other sites but a lot of posts would never get updated and content would be lost for good.

Maybe lock it down so there can be no more adds, go from there.....JMHO

BlindedByScience said:
If you get rid of the gallery, sure, folks would move to other sites but a lot of posts would never get updated and content would be lost for good.

Hi Tom - Please advise what exactly you mean.

My plan is to keep the photos that are currently there intact, so any posts which contain images on CP will still show the images within the post.  Is that what you meant? 

Rod said:

Hi Tom - Please advise what exactly you mean.

My plan is to keep the photos that are currently there intact, so any posts which contain images on CP will still show the images within the post.  Is that what you meant? 

Correct, that's exactly what I meant.  If the Gallery 'went away' that would be one thing, but if the images currently there stay there, that's another.

I use photobucket, but I do remember wanting to use the "gallery feature" with some pics/posts as it would drive clicks to my post/review/etc. :whistling:

We have some options with this, so I may be able to preserve the gallery.  Need to run through some test imports to see how well it works. 

I'm too technically illiterate to figure out how to post pics anyway. Go ahead and drop the gallery.

As long as the existing Gallery images that appear in posts can be imported/preserved, I could care less about my existing user Galleries. 

There are so many image sharing sites now, that I don't see integration for the future as that big of a requirement.

I liked the idea of keeping my cigar related posts and images in the same place, but uploading to the gallery is too cumbersome, in my opinion.

The thing I like about the gallery is that I actually get to see the pics... the firewall here at work where I do most of my posting filters out pics from most of the other hosting sites.

I've personally found that uploading to the current gallery a bit cumbersome as well. With as many options available in the way of 3rd party image hosting, embedding images from such sites and the advanced WYSIWYG editors incorporated into forum software, it shouldn't be an issue finding something that works and that you like.

Although I haven't used the gallery that much, I think it is a valuable feature for this forum.

I still haven't managed to upload a single thing despite several attempts. I'm usually having to use a mobile device rather than a PC to upload and it hasn't been easy.