• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

9/11 where were you?

rob300c

The Big Noobowski
I was in California at the time.
The phone stayed ringing at an ungodly hour.
I heard my roommate's phone going, then mine and then the house phone.
Finally I picked it up and asked, "what?!".
" Turn on the TV."
"What channel?"
"Turn on the TV."
And then I stared at the horror that happened and unfolded...

God bless the fallen and the first responders!

-Rob

Never forget!

Had just moved to Colorado from California. Was getting ready for work along with my wife in my in laws basement.

Sitting in an Army HMMWV eating a turkey sandwich inbetween exercises while at my basic officer course. Doors open, catching some wind through the woods. Drill sergeant walked up and told us about it.

Since we were in the field we did not have access to radio or TV for 3 more days yet.

I was driving up I-77, just outside of Charlotte, NC, when my girlfriend at the time called to tell me something was happening.  The radio never said anything about it.  As soon as I got into work, I turned on the news & saw what was transpiring.

I was getting ready for work.  My mom came in and told me what happened, and I turned on the TV.

I was in downtown Chicago, for work.  The entire floor sat in disbelief and watched the news.  After an hour, they sent us all home, because they thought Chicago would be a target as well.

Had landed in Rome Italy, the first day of a 26 day tour. Just set the luggage down when our room phone rang. We traveled with friends and they called the room and said turn on the TV, they are bombing the USA. They first plane had already hit, we watched and then saw the second strike. Our jaws dropped leaving us dumbfounded.

I was in my dorm room at WSU.  I remember one of my neighbors shouting we had just been attacked. 

I turned on my TV and watched the rest unfold from there. 

I was in the air flying to a regatta in Dallas  We usually flew Northworst but decided to fly American that day.  The pilot came on the blower and announced there was some kind of national emergency where the flight grid has been shut down and that we needed to get on the ground...pronto!  We then did this insane rapid decent thingy...think being pushed back in the seat.  Then it was low altitude (not sure how low...but low) flying to, of all places, Oklahoma City.  We get off the plane, I'm talking to my wife who is explaining everything and we need a car to get to the regatta.  We figured while we're in OKC and we still wernt sure what was up, lets go check out the Fed Building Memorial.  We were met three blocks away by SWAT with automatic weapons suggesting we go home.  The regatta didn't happen because a quarter of the teams never made it.  Since the flight grid was shut down for 8-9 days post, we sailed a mini event.  We all noticed and thought it eerie to not see a plane in the sky.

On a side note, a few years later we went back to see the OKC Memorial.  It is very well done.

I was in Salt Lake City in my first year of Graduate School but had taken the morning off to get oil changed in my car. I heard about it form the guys at Kmart, then went to my apartment and watched the rest. I, like many, was in disbelief the rest of the day. My dad has said the feeling of the day reminded him of Pearl Harbor. He remembers being 11 or so and outside playing baseball when he heard of that attack.

At work in the Hancock Building in Boston. Working on the 60 th floor. We went to the basement and left for home early.

The job was shut down the next day.

I was in the parking lot of the Marriott Courtyard in Poughkeepsie, NY ready to go in to do my service. I was listening to Imus and thought he was messing around. I went in to do the service and everyone was in the lobby watching the news - too bad he wasn't messing around. 

I was in San Jose getting ready for work.  Woken up by my ex at the time, calling me from Taiwan to tell me about the news.  I wasn't sure if I should go to work or not.

Working the Passenger Terminal at Little Rock AFB, getting spun up for our regular mission to Biloxi for the NCOA graduation that happens every six weeks, or so.  I was sitting on the pool table in the break room during the morning briefing (there were only three of us there) and my boss's husband called, telling her to turn on the TV shortly after the first plane hit.  Everything for the next few weeks is a complete blur.

My daughter had her first birthday two days later, and my wife and I were on opposite 12+ hour shifts (she's in the Air Force, too).  We had about 10 minutes in the morning to give my daughter a makeshift part.  We put her in her high chair, tied balloons around, and had her paw at some presents.  We smooshed a little bit of the Blue's Clues cake on her nose for a photo, and then they were out the door and I was in bed.  That poor girl always has things happen right around her birthday.  I deployed on her birthday one year, we had a bad storm and two day power outage another year, and then we had to fly to PA from Germany in 2011 (September 11, 2011, the ten year anniversary) -- my mother ended up passing away on her birthday, so again she didn't get the day she deserved.  

Paid off a ship in Charleston SC and went to the union hall to register; the films of the WTC burning were on the TV in the union hall.  My wife and i drove  back to the farm that day. It was pretty quiet on the road.

I was a sophomore in high school sitting in English class when my teachers husband came through the door with a tv on cart. He plugged it in the wall and turned it on I'll never forget the fear in his voice when I heard him quietly say to his wife "we've been attacked". We sat in that class and watched all morning...

Teaching freshman English at the high school where I still work.  I had just pulled into the parking lot and was turning the key in the ignition to off when the radio announced "a 747 has just collided with a tower of the World Trade Center in NYC."   I did a double take, not sure what I had heard---commercial? movie trailer?---but turned on CNN in my classroom when I got there just in time to see the second plane hit.

My students now, they've grown up in this world.  Those kids then, that day? Scared to death.  Sometimes the world hands you your lesson plan for the day.

~Boar

I had watched the Monday Night game between the Giants and the Broncos.  Where Ed McAffrey broke his leg.  I was listening to sports radio the next morning and they were talking about it.  I didn't understand what they were saying and couldn't fathom the entire scene.  I got to my first call about 5 minutes before the second plane crashed.  I remember one of the guys in the room said, "They better get that fire put out or the entire thing will collapse when the steel reaches it's melting point".  Then the first tower collapsed.

This is one of the most vivid memories in my life.  There were so many people affected by this act of violence.