• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'or No. 4

Brickhouse

J.C. Newman owes me royalties.
gallery_3010_541_155339.jpg

It's been a while since I've posted much of a review, but this cigar deserved at least a mention of it's own.

Cigar: La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'or No. 4 (ULA MAR 14)

Size:  6x32 (Slim Panetela)

Smoking time:  30-40 minutes

Pairing:  Fair trade whole bean coffee

Prelight:  I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much.  It's not a "formidable" cigar my any means.  What could this slim guy possibly do to impress?  Well, the wrapper in itself was nice.  A neat velvety feel to it, smooth, no veins to speak of.  Very light cigar, there just didn't seem to be much to it.  It just comes off as a frail cigar.  I cut the triple cap and was rewarded with a perfect pull.

1st Third:  Nuts and cedar I would guess, though I always have trouble discerning exactly what I'm pulling out of it.  What I can tell you is that the flavor wasn't top notch on the first few pulls, but very quickly settled in.  Smooth as a baby's ass, this slim stick was delivering solid flavor and an abundance of smoke.  Wow the amount of smoke.

2nd Third:  I've dumped ash on my shirt about three times by now.  The ash just doesn't sit on this cigar, and it took me about half the cigar to figure that one out.  The No. 4 continues to impress in the areas of flavor and smoke.  The pull remains perfect and no relight or touch ups necessary.  The amount of smoke coming out of this slim cigar is absolutely absurd.  I'm fairly certain my neighbor came out of his garage once to peek around the corner to see if my house was on fire.

Final Third:  Wonderful, just wonderful.  It kinda tried to kick me in the ass the last third, but I backed off.  I've had enough Lancero experiences to know that slim cigars can be very deceiving.  So I caught on to it and backed off.  Flavor was rock solid the entire time.  Never was it harsh, never was it hot, and never did it burn off track.  An absolute joy in every regard.  I could not believe how much smoke this cigar put out.  I guess maybe the last two pulls were a tad bitter, but hey, it was down to my fingers....it's to be expected.  What a great cigar.

Top Qualities:  It cannot be argued that the draw and smoke production were in the top 5 of any cigar I've ever had...if not the absolute best.  I was blown away. 

Bottom Qualities:  Nothing was really "bottom" on this cigar.  But as good as the flavor was, I'm sure they have room to grow, and they will only improve with time.

Score:  89/100 (may seem low, but a couple of years will put these in the 92-93 range easily)

Would I recommend:  Hell yes.  Get a box if you see them.  They will not disappoint.

Pretty spot on review Wyatt. Absolutely love the LGC line but very difficult to come by as they sell off quickly. 

Good review. I love those and grab as many as I can when they pass by.

I loved panteleas when I was still able to smoke. They're a dying breed, though, so as Wyatt says, gett'em while you can. 

I remember having some of these several years ago.   Always enjoyed them.

Excellent review, and like Kris said, spot on...

Good review and accurate as has been said. Thanks for sharing!

Damn you Wyatt. I just picked up another box of these today. Saw it available and figured it wouldn't last long!

Got a question for those of you that have smoked multiple sizes of these. Are they thinner ring gauges better or larger? I had a thin one but I noticed a couple of places have the #2 that seems to be a little larger cigar. Are these just as good?

Nick, the No.2's are good as well but like you said bigger. In general for me I prefer the smaller ring gauges as they are tastier.

Which one did you try? No.1 or No.3?

Light this! said:
Damn you Wyatt. I just picked up another box of these today. Saw it available and figured it wouldn't last long!
Yes! Glad I could be a bad influence.

Great review brotha! I've had the No. 2's and I have really enjoyed them. I have some No. 4's on the way. I hope I have the same experience.