• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Outer Banks - Hatteras Island

personal User

Loving our time at Avon, on Hatteras Island.

Have been here before, but not been back since 2000, due to minor health issues and the 8.5 hour drive.

My wife and I tend to like barren, desolate places that are not commercial and have a good bit of natural presence.

In my somewhat limited experience this is one of best of those on the east coast of the US.

Don't bother if you want a boardwalk, lots of commercial choices and a lot of things to do :)

The ferry to Ocrakoake island has got to be one of the best deals around, it's free and is about a 50 minute ferry ride, and ocracoke although somewhat commercialized is a great example of a small barrier island town.

These are barrier islands that for all practical purposes jut out into the Pacific, not really good swimming due to the undertow which can truly be a killer.

But for enjoying the beach, surf and not many people around it is a truly beautiful place. Only bettered on the East Coast by Assateague Islands four wheel drive only access portion - in my truly humble and prejudiced opinion.

But, if you are into bar scenes, restaurants, commercial activities this is probably not a place you will enjoy.

First three days here wind is too high to smoke a cigar on the beach (which is often the case) but I have had several delicious ones back at the house.

Oceanfront here really means "dune front" because there are large dunes separating the houses from the ocean. We are "oceanfront" and have a pretty good view that is roughly 50% or so blocked by the dunes. :laugh:

If you have never been here and like nature, it's worth the effort.

Nags Head is more commercial with a  lot more businesses and options if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Either way, Outer Banks (OBX) is a probable winner if you have never tried it. At least as far as the East Coast is concerned. I have never made it to the West coast of the US.  FWIW, I think the Northwest coasts of Ireland and Scotland are among the prettiest places on earth.