• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trying to decide on a new vehicle and need help/input please

ilikefishes

I have to replace a 15 year old Expedition and want to get a really nice car this time.  I am trying to decide between the Audi Q7 Diesel, the BMW xDrive35d, and the Mercedes ML400.  All are the 2015 models and all will have Cold Weather packages, Lane assist technology and such.  What I am interested in is if someone has personal history with service or warranty on any of these vehicles.  I am really leaning toward the Audi, but the BMW comes with no maintenance, (standard every 15,000 miles).  I think my wife likes the Benz more, but it is almost $10K more for that one.  I also get a $4,000 discount with the Benz due to an association I am in.  So, as you can see, I am really torn on what to purchase.  This is a huge investment/cost and I could really use some input.

Thanks in advance for all your insights.

Kendall, I'm a BMW guy so my advice is a bit slanted. I've had the X5 not diesel though and absolutely loved it. I then went with the X6 3.5 and now have had the X6 5.0 for about 2 1/2 years now and absolutely love it. The thing with BMW that I really like is their warranty which covers everything but tires. Going in for service costs us $0 which is awesome. I have friends with Mercedes and when they going in for their services is pretty pricey and usually around the $1200-$1500 mark.

Which ever car you decide on make sure you go with the tire and rim protection warranty which will probably run you about $1200. Best money you can spend as the tires on these SUV's are usually pretty big and always get banged up. I've gone through about $4k on tires and rims now and has only cost me $50 each time for the deductable which is nothing. Tires usually run about $600 and rims about $1200.

If I was you, I would go with the X5 diesel. Besides the new X5's look really nice. I mean you can't go off roading with these and if you did you'll probably be better off with a Range Rover.  A buddy of of mine has the Q7 and has to replace his tires every 17K miles - ouch. 

If you get a BMW...get the extended warranty.  I love the way BMW's drive, but they're ticking time bombs the second their warranty expires.

Setharsis said:
If you get a BMW...get the extended warranty.  I love the way BMW's drive, but they're ticking time bombs the second their warranty expires.

Agreed with any higher end vehicle out of warranty with the exception being Lexus. I never keep them after the warranty is up though.

I am also a BMW guy, and have had several X5's (which are very nice) and currently have the M5, which is a lot of fun... I have had Mercedes and Audi's, they are also nice, but the maintenance is a lot on both of them.

I have a 1984 Honda Civic. Zero maintenance, every time it gets messed up I just throw it away and buy another one and it's cheaper than changing the tires on a new BMW :laugh:

When money isn't an issue, I've noticed people lean toward Audi. Personally between those lux brands. If I was picking one, I'd get the Audi. It's lux lux +. There must be a reason why Bentley and Audi are driven/owned by middle eastern elite, and others worldwide.

Any of the German ponies are relatively expensive to keep in the stable.  The new BMW maintenance deal is pretty sweet.

We bought my wife a new X3 in 2005....and it's been fantastic.  Only has about 65K on it, and other than routine maintenance, it's been a tank.

I'm still putting mad miles on my car with my commute, so the TDI Jetta and I are getting along fine for now.  I'll be looking for a sedan, not a crossover vehicle.  Made the mistake of sitting in a new 435ix last time the X3 was in for an oil change....almost cost me a chunk of cash..... :p

CMontoya79 said:
When money isn't an issue, I've noticed people lean toward Audi. Personally between those lux brands. If I was picking one, I'd get the Audi. It's lux lux +. There must be a reason why Bentley and Audi are driven/owned by middle eastern elite, and others worldwide.

C, both are owned by Volkswagen along with Bugatti, Lamborghini and Porsche. 

in 1998 Volkswagen outbid BMW to buy Vickers which owned Bentley and Rolls Royce but since BMW had been supplying engine and parts to RR and after a nasty battle between both companies and a negotiated settlement, BMW ended up with all the rights to the RR brand and trademarks. VW ended up owning Bentley and the factory in Crewe, England. Since 2003, BMW engines are not used in Bentley Cars as Volkswagen wanted to reduce its reliance on BMW as a supplier. 

Just a bit of useless data that you may need to win on Jeopardy.  ;)

What about a diesel VW Toureg?
Appears to be a Porche Cayenne at a discount...
Appearances can be deceiving though!

-Rob

rob300c said:
What about a diesel VW Toureg?
Appears to be a Porche Cayenne at a discount...
Appearances can be deceiving though!

-Rob

Had one of those and the worst car I ever had. All type of electrical problems that VW couldn't figure out. Again this was back in 04,05 or 06'is I believe when they first came out. Not a good idea to by first year model car. These may very well have come around though but left a bitter taste in my mouth nonetheless. 

Not trying to be rude, but what about American vehicles?  The new Lincolns look amazing.  Just a thought.

KayakinBoy said:
Not trying to be rude, but what about American vehicles?  The new Lincolns look amazing.  Just a thought.

Made this list of the "10 Most Overpriced Cars"

"...Starts at $35,925. Don't fool yourself, it's a Fusion. Which starts at $21,900..."

http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-overpriced-car-on-sale-1244631443

And, don't get me wrong, I like Ford quite a bit, but......

KayakinBoy said:
That is something we have looked at.  To be honest, we have not looked at those due to my wife's reluctance.  I will pursue those options.

Thank you to everyone for your very valuable input.  I am really thankful.

I wouldn't get any of those cars unless I was definitely moving it as the warranty expires. If keeping beyond that, then a competent, honest, and trustworthy technician is an absolute must. If it were my money, and I wanted to drive it into the ground, I'd get a Lexus or Avalon.

Lexus baby! Until a few years ago, I ran a service department. Prior to that, I worked on them all, foreign and domestic for a living.

Auto technicians hate working on their own cars..... There is a reason we all owned Toyota, or Lexus!

I have an X5 diesel and love driving it. The 50k all maintenance and warranty is great. I have had many BMW's and only kept this one beyond the warranty. I do believe it is a ticking time bomb of cost, but then so was my MB diesel. The diesel mileage is good at about 22 mpg but that is more or less irrelevant as we are talking about expensive vehicles anyway. Personally, I will probably get a Tahoe as an SUV next time. More room, price point is about the same and comfortable to drive. Plus I do a lot of outdoors stuff and they are better at that. A BMW is a fine vehicle but I prefer a BMW car. X5 makes a good city wagon as my wife will attest.

I've been an Audi guy for the last 10 years. With that said I'm biased and can't honestly comment on BMW or the other you mentioned. I can tell you that I have 2 friends that drive Q7's and love,love,love them.

kona1000 said:
Tesla Model S.
Did you even read the first post?
Ohhh I've only seen old dudes and chicks drive the Benz. You're too young and the wrong gender for it.