• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Watches; relegated to Fashion Accessory or still "needed"?

MadMonk

I have a really nice Eco-Drive Chronograph whose 5 yr battery died about 4 yrs ago. I've never had the battery replaced but, I am thinking about it now, just for some redundancy, or if I do happen to forget my phone.

Do we even "need" a watch anymore?

I have used my phone as a timepiece for years, and no watch.

Went on a cruise for several weeks and much of the time there was no cell service, bought an 8 dollar watch to use then. It lasted three weeks (although the band didn't) so I figured I got my 8 bucks worth.

I have the clock in my phone, accurate to a few milliseconds.  My computer at work and home have a clock, I have desk clocks at work and home, and my car has a very accurate clock in it.

...no, I don't wear a watch...;-)

I've kinda stopped replacing the batteries in my watches and wearing them mainly as jewelry. I really don't wear them often enough to justify having a fresh battery in them all at all times. My cell phone is the most accurate time piece I have and it's almost always within reach.

I have about 5 watches that I alternate between. I do actually use it for taking a quick glance at the time, but for the most part it is a personal statement of my taste. I think that some watches are such a beautiful piece of workmanship. Its just one of things that some people appreciate and find yourself striking up a conversation with someone over...

One day I will own a Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. That is my dream watch.

always wear one. One day I will own a Breitling but can't afford one right now.

I bought a Tissot several years ago to wear, but to also pass down when the time comes.

Watches are still needed but less than in the past. If you travel a lot in different time zones you need a watch and your cell phone. Oh by the way the battery for that eco-drive is pricey!

I wear and use a watch daily.  My arm is however getting too short for me to read it without cheaters.

I love mine, won't leave home without it.

mens-vestal-watches-vestal-plexi-brown-leather-watch__4911.jpg

I want to get a matching one in black.

vestal_plexi_leather_watch_blkblkblk.jpg

I wear watches all the time but I really have to use them for work.  Since I work in an industrial setting they get hammered fast.  The battery is usually the last thing to go.

I like watches. I wear one for work and also have a couple that a rotate thru for pleasure.

EBay is a decent place to pick up close out models and factory refurbished watches.

One day I plan on owning an older Omega SeaMaster with the blue wavy dial

I wear one every day... half fashion, half habit. Need is a strong word for a watch in this age.

I wear one daily. My go to is my Lum-Tec M52, I also wear a G-Shock on the weekends or when I am doing any activity. I will be adding a Panerai to group here soon I hope.

tone-ny said:
Watches are still needed but less than in the past. If you travel a lot in different time zones you need a watch and your cell phone. Oh by the way the battery for that eco-drive is pricey!
I had never looked into the cost. Looks like just a basic replacement, with no other problems starts at about $79.00.  I saw a few forum posts where it was up to about $300.00. I'll do the deed if only 79, but beyond that, I think I'd just get a new Seiko Kinetic.

I also wear a watch every day.  Even on weekends.  I have about 50 watches, my favs being a Tissot, a Movado and a Luminox.  I am getting an Omega Sea Master this fall though.  So the others may never be worn again.

Breedy said:
One day I plan on owning an older Omega SeaMaster with the blue wavy dial

That's my dream watch, too.  Both Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig have worn that one as "Bond, James Bond."  Plus it's just beautiful.

I've worn an assortment of Swiss Army watches over the years---I miss the Cavalry model, that was a neat watch---because they're affordable, but have solid stainless steel cases and the plated metals on cheaper watches tend to dissolve off my wrist.  Apparently I sweat battery acid.  Haven't worn a watch for awhile, though.  Cell phone, computer, big digital classroom clock, yada yada yada.

~Boar

I like'em, but don't "need them".

Got an IWC Portuguese, Breitling Colt, and Bell and Ross WW1.