• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is it illegal to kidnap your own kids?

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
A little over a week ago, Cailey's mom and I burst into her room after school, yelled, "Grab just your phone and your sunglasses!", and rushed her and her sister into a running car waiting on the curb. Ah, the looks to be had by the teenager!  There was just one standing rule no matter what transpired in the following few days: They were not allowed to ask questions...

Over the next two days we flew from Honolulu to Dallas, Texas, overnighted in Orlando, Florida, and then boarded a plane destined for San Juan, Puerto Rico. Each minute on the road the girls knew only what the next immediate destination was, and that was even withheld until the last possible moment at the departure gates. There were outbursts and mental breakdowns along the way. The extra day in Dallas due to weather delays didn't help things after having been on an airplane all night crossing the Pacific Ocean. With each rebuffed question and display of frustration, our parental smiles got bigger.

Upon finally landing in Puerto Rico, the girls had no idea if this was the final destination or if it was just another intermediary stop on a journey into the as yet unknown. As we collected our baggage, Cailey, our oldest, caught on when she saw her mom talking with the Disney representative. Isabella (7 years old) remained entirely bewildered and clueless. It was upon arrival in San Juan that I had to calm the worst crying breakdown I have ever seen in seven years.  Poor kid.  We boarded the bus and proceeded for our drive through the city. It was during this drive that Bella first saw the Disney Magic in the distance. She was excited to see a cruise ship in person but still had no idea that was actually where we were headed. She got even more confused with every kilometer and every turn closer to the port. When we finally arrived, right at the base of the towering cruise ship, she was quite literally speechless.

Here I sit, a week later, back in San Juan before the return trip to Orlando and then eventually Hawaii. Even after dropping hint after hint the last week or so, their mom and I have officially pulled off what may be one of the best capers in the history of parenting. All those cryptic "Some say..." Stig-isms were directed at my daughter and referenced in some way or another air and ocean travel. Hell, the Beach Boys pretty much spelled out our entire port of call itinerary! She only put it all together like Keyzer Soze when I brought them all up again on board the ship. I could see the light bulb brighten.**

Seven days in the Caribbean visiting San Juan, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, and St. Kitt's without a CLUE what was happening until they practically arrived at the ship. We've all gained ten pounds and multiple sunburns. The Short One has been asleep since we debarked early this morning, entirely worn out from long hot days and long nights. For what will most likely be the last big travel opportunity for a while (it's much easier to travel living in Europe than it is on a rock in the ocean!), I think we totally trolled our kids in grande style.

I give it one week until one of them tells us we never do anything for them...

---------------------------------

**This was C&P'd from a Facebook status update.  I'm not sure if I'm friends on Facebook with anyone here, but I was dropping multiple hints to my daughter in the form of Top Gear introductions for The Stig.  For instance, one was something like, "Some say, he once crossed the Caribbean Ocean... just to get to the other side", and, "Some say he knows the 0-60 times of every ocean liner ever built".  I even posted the YouTube video for Kokomo from the Beach Boys, and said, "Some say the only CD that will work in his car is the soundtrack to Cocktail".  Stuff like that, along with other subtle hints she didn't put together until she figured out where we were going.  That was the plan, though, and it worked to perfection.

I love it when a plan comes together... :D

Sounds like a great way to start a family vacation.  I will have to put that into the memory bank for the next time my wife and I are planning out vacation.

That is hilarious. Good idea for my kids when they get older.

Sounds like a fantastic vacation... great job keeping them in the dark about what was next.
Loved the Stig clues...

Fiddle-dee-dee! I was hoping for some real drama; even had the name of a mad dog lawyer and number to a Father's rights group. Fool me once... :laugh:

Doc

Even when  first read the title I was thinking something different.