• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Damn it, hope I don't have to quit cigars.

personal User

In another thread, I commented where I had a sinus infection for around three weeks. Then, cleared up.

Had been smoking about ten a week, and figured it was a good idea to cut back to about five a week.

Three weeks at that level, and starting to have sinus issues again.

I'm going to cut back to about three a week, and see how I do with that.

I'm going to quit buying though, at three a week I probably have somewhere around eight or ten years supply on hand. Good thing most cigars age well :)

I'm irrigating my sinuses after smoking.

Don't know what else to do other than cut back. This is the end of grasses and weeds pollination, so maybe that's adding to the sinus irritation.

Try to not exhale through your nose. Smoke in a well ventilated area.

Doc

Good to see my very first Cigar Girl® is still in play. 

It's also not a bad idea to take a break for a while.  Take a couple weeks off from smokes, see how you sinuses are after that time.

I always smoke outside, so it's well ventilated. Going to try to not retrohale as much.

I did take a three week break from smoking after the sinus when I got the sinus infection, might should have taken more. One thing that I can start doing is make sure I only smoke every other day, with a day off in between. That should help.

Western SC, and Western NC can be one of the worst places for pollens, and my wife said her face hurts a bit just from the weather and pollen. I've been sneezing a bit more than usual, as the grasses and weeds have their last hurrah and I am most allergic to them, took shots for years and that sort of stuff.

Didn't smoke yesterday, and smoked a partagas 8-9-8 today. If I make it thru the night with out much in the way of ill effects.

I also think I will stick with Cubans and other milder stuff till I get a handle on this.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I'm going to try ride it out.

Just a suggestion, maybe if you continue treatment for significantly longer than you actually feel sick, and only gradually resume your earlier routine, it is possible that you will recover completely. You seem to be developing a chronic condition, caution is indicated at this point. I concur with doc on eliminating retrohaling completely. Anything that irritates the affected tissues can lead to a relapse. Wait until you are 100% certain that you are recovered before retrohaling again.

The weed pollen has been horrendous on the southern areas of the east coast this year. Hopefully, that is a factor for you.
Grass pollen as well....

The pollen has been awful this year.  Hope you get the sinuses under control so you can enjoy some smokes in the upcoming fall weather.

One thing you might do, if you haven't done so already, is to invest in a nice hepa filter for you HVAC and make sure to change it regularly. This did wonders for me when I moved to the south. 

Thanks for all the input.

I'm doing better, cutting back further and trying to cut down on retrohale seems to be helping more than a bit.

FWIW, I couldn't understand why at the worst times the whole side of my head, and teeth hurt  and finally realized that the problems/symptoms were very much facial nerve related (trigeminal neuralgia)  I also realized I had been more hyper than usual, edgy and general symptoms of nervousness.

When I thought about that I decided to cut back on coffee from 2 (sometimes 3 ) cappuccinos a day to one, and cut back on the levels of testosterone cyprionate I am taking.

Whole situation seems a lot better.

So my thinking is that sinus infection caused swelling and irritation of the trigeminal ( 5th Cranial) nerve and the nerve remained irritated with the slightest pressure from sinuses exacerbating the situation.

At this point, I think that a combination of factors caused my problems and that the combined responses have it under control along with the pollen level falling.

If I have further issues, the next step is go to an ENT and have him do an endoscopy.

[SIZE=10.5pt]After several days of not smoking, and lacking few symptoms of common sinus problems my facial pain returned at 4 AM this morning and is at a lower level but still enough for me to cancel a three night trip next week.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]While I do have minor symptoms of allergies, and am irrigating, I do not have the stuffiness, swollen feeling, large amounts of drainage, etc. that are common with sinus infections.[/SIZE]

At this point I believe that something else is going on which may be related or simply started at the same time. Will schedule an endoscopy by ENT, my doctor said possibly a CAT scan and if those show nothing will likely seek out a neurologist.

The left side of my cheek, my head, top, front, side of head, in front of and behind the ear hurt and I am getting a good bit of relief with a massager. I am aware that these symptoms closely overlap with trigeminal neuralgia.

I suspect it will be somewhat of a minor hassle to eventually resolve for certain what is causing my issues.

On the bright side, I think I will have no trouble returning to smoking when this gets sorted out. I intend to keep it down to three a week, anyhow. Smoking less and enjoying it more. Probably will sometimes stretch three to four or five. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input and suggestions, later on will post how this sorted out.

Wow, just read this all the way through.  This sounds pretty horrible.  I sympathize with your pain/edginess issue.  I hope the ENT visit can clear it up quickly for you.

Juanote said:
You seem to be developing a chronic condition, caution is indicated at this point...
I almost responded when you posted this that I was thinking along similar lines.

Went to ENT, who ordered a CAT scan of head.

Went back to ENT today to review CAT scan. As the Dr. was peeling back layers of the scan showing me, I knew before he finished that surgery was where we were going.

Sinus surgery scheduled for Wed, provided we can get a block of time open at the out-patient surgery clinic.

Should be a lot better off afterward. 

Dunno how long I should wait after surgery to start back, but I do know that I am going to hold it down to three a week.

Probably where I should be anyhow if I want to live to the average age my grandparents made. (mid nineties_

Also wishing you a speedy recovery. Get well soon so your stogies don't start feeling neglected.

Nicotine inhibits healing. Don't smoke until you're completely recovered from surgery.

Doc

Thanks for the support and suggestions.

I haven't smoked since problems returned a week or more back. I will not smoke until I am well healed.

I may wind up taking a good bit more time off than I want.

I had sinus surgery twenty years ago, and for a number of months was quite sensitive to pollens, dust, etc because they had been clogged up for so many years that even minimal exposure was trying.

We traveled to Hong Kong and China. Was doable with a few minor problems until we hit China. The dust and pollution in that part of China was incredible. Probably worse than ten cigars a day. No kidding, unreal.

I'm going to take it slow, and easy. I'm hoping that 20 years of surgical advances will make the experience more pleasant.

I'm hoping I can ease back in after several weeks or a month or so. I figure that when my opened up sinuses are able to handle regular airborne issues, will be time to take out a milder and shorter one to give it a try. If I have to wait for spring I will.

I wish you the best, sir. I also have had recent sinus problems. Hmmm.

Cigars are great, but make sure first thing is your health.  Take care of yourself.  Good luck on the surgery.

Steve