• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sindicato Corona Gorda

Brickhouse

J.C. Newman owes me royalties.
First off, I'd like to thank #2 for his generous offer to split out his box of these cigars to a few of us. He won them in a Sindicato contest, and to share the love was a great PIF. Thanks bro.

I promised to do a review on these once I had one, and here it is. Thanks again Brian. Much appreciated!

075b93691784d8aa35818c87f68c02d6.jpg

Cigar: Sindicato Corona Gorda

Size: 5 ½” x 48

Smoking time: 45 minutes

Pairing: Surly Coffee Bender (Thanks Freebern!)

Prelight: Very well constructed cigar. Presentation of this square pressed cigar was great. It’s as clean of a cigar as I’ve seen in a while. Smooth as a baby’s ass, with no large veins or bumps. I cut the pigtail and was rewarded with a nice draw, not too loose…not too tight.

1st Third: Initial draws after lighting were wonderful. The draw remained consistent and smoke poured out at an impressive amount. There was a mild spice in this initial third that did fade after about 10 minutes. I’m not a big fan of spice, but it was just the right amount. I was grabbing some classic woodsy/coffee highlights out of this cigar, which is probably why it was pairing beautifully with the Coffee Bender.

2nd Third: Nothing has changed about the profile, which is fine by me, it’s damn good. The amount of smoke remains the same as well…if not even grown a little. I love cigars the just pour out smoke like this one. I have no reason to touch up any portion yet.

Final Third: Very consistent throughout. If anything, I’d say some nuttiness has shown its way in the profile over this final third. The burn remains on point, and the smoke remains full. I have smoked this cigar rather fast in my opinion, which is why I am surprised it has not gotten hot and harsh. A very resilient cigar.

Top Qualities: Draw and amount of smoke were top notch. I place them both in the top 10%. Flavor was good. It wasn’t amazing, but it was very pleasing, and you will not get any complaints from me on it.

Bottom Qualities: Simply as an effort to put a comment here, I’ll say lack of complexity. It was a very “simple” cigar if that makes sense. Granted it was simply good, but I kept looking for something that would catch me off guard, and I never found anything.

Score: 84/100

Would I recommend: At $10 a stick I have no problem recommending a 5’er. I’ll have to have a few more before I recommend a box purchase. These are good cigars though guys, no doubt about it.

Wyatt, thanks for the review brother. I'm not a beer drinker but that's one that I would try!

Great review Wyatt. You're pretty much spot on with the ones I've smoked.

Nicely done. I'm waiting to smoke mine cause it was really hot weather when my sample showed up. Will be fun to compare notes.

#2 also sent me a couple of these to try and review.  I'll post my thoughts here instead of making another thread.

Appearance:  This is a beautiful cigar.   Smooth, clean, no visible flaw or defects.   Partial covered foot, but not a bunch of excess tabacco hanging over the foot.   I like that.   My draw was very similar to Wyatts.   That perfect, in the middle draw.

1st 1/3:   Starts with a light spice.   I got a light nuttiness right off the bat, with good clean tabacco flavors.  I was immediately reminded of a Padron '64 natural, with just a little less spice.

2nd 1/3:  My cigar actually ticked up in spice just a little at this point.   I would compare it to white pepper spice.  You knew it was there, but it certainly wasn't in your face.  The nuttiness remained, and it picked up the flavor of a light roast coffee flavor (like a breakfast blend). 

Final 1/3:  Flavors stayed pretty similar.  I did get a light hint of toast in the last little bit, replacing the nutty flavor.   The spice stayed about the same as the middle of this cigar. 

In all it sounds like Wyatt and I had very similar experiences with this cigar.    Construction was perfect, burn and draw were perfect.    To me this is a great early morning/lazy afternoon stick.   If you enjoy Padron naturals, Davidoff, EPC Connecticut, or even cubans like Bolivars than this would be right in your wheel house.    My only concern (and this is being picky) is I don't know that this cigar would hold up to long aging.  I think it's right in it's sweet spot now, and a long period of time would probably put these on the downslope.

Thanks again Brian for the chance to try this.   This is definitely a stick I would pick up again.

Light this! said:
Wyatt, thanks for the review brother. I'm not a beer drinker but that's one that I would try!

If I had anymore, they'd be yours.  Nice review Wyatt and Brent!

Brent, I really enjoyed your take. You hit the nail on the head with the Padron 64 Natural comparison.

Also, I actually forgot to say in my review that like you, I thought aging won't do much for these. I think they are in right in their sweet spot as well.

Well done, Brent. I like that you mentioned a few other cigars. 

Nicely described, this is one of my favorite cigar. I like most the limited Shade Grown Jalapa Corojo wrapper of this cigar.

I received this cigar from Jonesy. He was kind enough to include me as one who would receive some to review. I've kept it at 67 degrees f and 69% humidity since receiving it. Dry boxed it last night. I have found that, for me, any new cigar needs a minimum of 3 weeks in my humidor to really give it a fair assessment. 

I normally do not care how a cigar looks. Veins have never really concerned me. Some of the most delicious Cigars I have ever smoked had significant veining present. That said, this cigar is noticeably attractive with a nice pigtail triple cap and semi-closed foot. The wrapper has minimal veining and nice color. The band is attractive, easy to read, not too big, and not too flashy. I would like to think they relied on the quality of their wrapper tobacco and what the torcedor could accomplish rather than a gaudy or oversized band to draw the consumer's eye to the product.

I achieved a really nice cut thanks to the generous cap length. Pre-light draw has the perfect amount of resistance with a sweet tobacco and hay like note with a very light, almost imperceptible musty component.

The cigar lights easily with my soft flame lighter. A bit of black pepper, sweet cocoa, hay, and straight tobacco off the first few draws. right away at about an 1/8" in, the flavors start morphing. A tiny bit of leather announces itself and the black pepper recedes to mostly an undertone and is most noticeable in the nose on the exhale.

At about a 1/2" in, the leather picks up along with a sweet caramel and a smokiness that sort of harmonizes the blend and its flavors. The Hay is completely gone now. This is a complex cigar with all of the flavors mingling on each draw which is a quality that I like in a cigar. 

As I enter the second third, the draw tightens up a little and a new flavor announces itself. Hard to describe. Almost like an undertone that I've tasted in nuts that might be a bit off.  It only lasts for about  1/2" to 3/4". I did not really like it so, I'm glad it has gone away. I would say that all of the same flavors are present in the second third, but have become amplified and more harmonious. Plenty of flavor in this cigar.

As I enter the last third, there is a still the same complex flavor profile of leather, caramel, pepper, harmonized by a smoky component. The cigar is beginning to reveal a creaminess and nuttiness as well as a toasty element that all work in unison with the smokey component. Although similar to the first two thirds, it has developed a bit more complexity and flavor intensity.

This is is a well balanced, med to full bodied cigar that develops rapidly and maintains the mostly same complex flavor profile but, intensifies as it is smoked.
The last third is the best part. I would say it is worth a try. I myself like a spicier cigar. I did not notice any real similarity to the Padrons I smoke.
A solid 3.5 stars out of five for what I like in a cigar.

I need to buy some more of these... I got some from the Cigar Dave show a couple of months ago and thought they were fantastic.