• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

home defense shotgun

Of those two choices, I'd go with the first mossberg for sure. You can trick it out as you see fit later on. There are SO very many fun add ons. Half the fun of a new hd shotgun is tricking it out.

I've always thought a door breach was a bit unnecessary for home defense. (I.e. Blasting your way into a room in your own home). I mean what could be on the other side of that door? You get my drift.

Buy it. Enjoy it. Store it and the ammo safely.

Yeah don't need the breach but it comes with that model and it is cheaper. Also looks cool and would hurt to be hit by it. Also I figure I may have to use it on my daughters door when she gets older. Lol

Don't know much about guns but one piece of advice I can give is to have your wife hold them and fire them if possible.  Won't do any good if she can't use it.

Remington 870 Express. They currently have a $25 rebate until January. You cannot go wrong with Remington. I totally agree with Oke. If you are going to introduce a gun into your household, your wife needs to understand and feel comfortable with it as well. Another choice would be the Benelli Super Nova Pump. Just my two cents.

if the wife is to use the shotgun, you may be surprised that a 20 gauge is a better choice. I'll send you a link shortly. A Remington 870 or a Mossberg are great choices with appropriate ammunition.

I'm another Remington 870 fan . . . standard issue for watch duty in the Seabees, and I used to have a police model with an 18" barrel and an aftermarket magazine extension.  If I were getting another, I'd probably want THIS version though:

400px-Remington870PoliceFolded.jpg

I'm of the opinion that a long gun can be a bit unwieldy in close quarters, if you haven't practiced room to room clearing techniques.  This is a spendy version, true, but it's maneuverable and held closer to the body---although I'd probably shop around for a good magazine extension for it, too.  Mossberg makes (or at least used to make) a pistol grip 12ga, the "Lowrider"  :rolleyes: which I believe is slightly longer but a lot less money.

~Boar

Personally, either the Mossberg or Remington would be good choices. And just as important, is get out and use it. Read up on shotties for home use as there is a lot of debate on over penetration... figure out what direction you'd shoot, and what's in that direction? Lots to look at and read up on!

My favorite is my hand me down pump 870 wingmaster. That "chick-chick" sound is second to no other for making a would be intruder pucker up and run.
I credit that sound alone to saving the life of a stupid burglar (and me the headache of what shooting him might have entailed) when I lived in FL years ago when he decided to try and break in while we were watching tv in bed. I chambered the shell and he bolted.
LSS, go with a pump action whatever you do. No need for the added $ of a semi.

(Edited for stupid typo)

I've got a Remington 870 Police Magnum I got from... somebody in my family.  That thing is a beast.  However, I would agree with the sentiment that a 20 gauge might be the better choice if your wife/kids have to use it and are not seasoned shooters.  As others have said, whatever you get, fire it often with the load you plan to use for home defense.

From one of my fave gun writers, Massad Ayoob - in reference to choosing a shotgun for home defense:

"....To split the difference, I think the best bet for a light-kicking but hard-hitting shotgun is the 20 gauge. You can virtually duplicate 12-gauge performance with some three-inch Magnum 20 gauge shells, but for most needs, the standard two and three-quarter inch 20 gauge shell will get the job done.

In a standard rifled slug load for deer, the 20 gauge's projectile is approximately .62 caliber, weighs five-eighths of an ounce, and runs at a speed of 1400 foot-seconds or greater. That's roughly the equivalent of two .44 Magnums at once. Will it transform Bambi swiftly into venison? Oh, yes.

In a buckshot load, the standard for 20 gauge is #3 buck, which consists of twenty pellets, each a quarter inch in diameter. Among common 12-gauge shells, the closest would be the so called "urban police load," #4 buck. This consists of 27 pellets, each .23 caliber. Velocity is roughly the same, whether twelve or twenty gauge.

For home defense purposes, let's say two evil twin men are kicking down the front door, announcing their intent to murder every man, woman, and child in the house. Spouse A fires a round of 12-gauge #4 buckshot and sends 27 .23'' diameter pellets into the chest of the first evil twin. Spouse B unleashes a single round of 20 gauge #3 buckshot, blasting 20 .25" diameter pellets at approximately the same velocity into the thorax of the second evil twin, with all the projectiles penetrating to approximately the same depth.  Who's going to know the difference? Only the medical examiner, and then only after he meticulously counts the white spots on the X-rays, or tallies the number of pellets removed from each corpse....."

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob110.html

drunkfish3 said:
Also I figure I may have to use it on my daughters door when she gets older. Lol

Or as as I did, I removed the door to my daughter's bedroom and locked it in the shed....until she cleaned her room and started acting like a normal, sane human being.

That took about a year.

ironpeddler said:

Also I figure I may have to use it on my daughters door when she gets older. Lol

Or as as I did, I removed the door to my daughter's bedroom and locked it in the shed....until she cleaned her room and started acting like a normal, sane human being.

That took about a year.

Yep, you're Italian... :thumbs:

MadMonk said:

That took about a year.

Yep, you're Italian... :thumbs:

Watching some of my daughters current antics I have actually imagined that removing the door would be a possibility when she gets older.  And my favorite movie quote about daughters comes from Clueless, "Just remember, I have a shotgun and a shovel, nobody will miss you".

thanks for all the advice hope to pick something for Christmas. Also decided i need a 22lr rifle for the range so i don't have to only shot the shotgun. Probable a Marlin 795 do to price though i really want a S&W m&p 15-22.

When someone is looking for a .22 rifle, I always recommend giving the ubiquitous Ruger 10-22 careful consideration.  They come in several different models, even a take down version now.  They are solid and accurate 22's.  They are also a ton of custom parts available, making it as easy to mod as an AR platform (ask me how I know.... :p ).

As they say, one man's opinion.....B.B.S.

Today I have the Remington JIC and I like it, but I will probably get one of these when it comes out.  Check out the video about 1/4 way down.

Like Tom said, the 10/22 is the standard these days for .22 LR rifles.  I have one of those and a Marlin model 60.  It's pretty much unchanged in over 50 years and rock solid.  Can't go wrong either way.

kann said:
Just buy a 1911 and be done with it...

...Glock!....1911!...Glock!....1911!...Glock!....1911!...Glock!....1911!....

Hey now, no religious arguments here.... :p