• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar-Related Horses and their Return-on-Investment

ALostTexan

The Travelin' Cigar Man
In October of this year the great Cigar passed away at the Kentucky Horse Park. Cigar was a great race horse and will obviously be the best known horse with a cigar-related name, but there are plenty of others out there.

I have always wondered what the Return-on-Investment (ROI) would be if someone bet every horse with a cigar-related name. So I have decided to track this and see.

The plan is to see what a $2 Win-Place-Show wager, for a total of $6 on each race, would return. I will track this in a Google Drive spreadsheet that I will share on here.

I looked back at every horse that ran in 2013 and 2014 that had a "cigar" in his or her name for my initial list. I also looked at horses that had "robusto". Here is the initial list:

Railing Cigar
San Juan Cigar
Cigar Street
Hava Cigar
Acigarisjustacigar
Cigarillo
Cigar Man
Lite the Cigar
Morning Cigar
Cigarzin
Smokinbigcigars
Arty's Cigar 
Super Robusto

If anyone has suggestions for horses to add please let me know. I looked at all horses that had "smoke" in his or her name but that is a pretty big list and most of them are not necessarily cigar-related.

I think this will be fun to see.

It sort of couples as a work project. That's the beauty of it.

There hasn't been a "Cohiba" run in 2013-2014, but there has been a "Cohiba Cat". 

I also added El Anejo and Lady Cohiba.

I have also been tracking Opus A for awhile but don't recall him running for awhile.

We will have our first horse in. Super Robusto, an 8 yo gelding, will be going 6 furlongs in Race 5, an Open Claiming race, on Friday at Penn National. $20,900 purse. He is the 5-1 5th choice, and will be getting a few pounds with what appears to be an apprentice jockey.

We'll see how Super Robusto does!

Maybe the bug allowance helped. Super Robusto went off as the 5th choice tonight, had a slightly bad trip but wound up holding on to 3rd. Paid $8.00, which is a 33% ROI.

If anyone is interested in following along, here is the spreadsheet link. Right now it still says "test horse" in the second field but that will be fixed once another horse has ran.

This is certainly interesting.  I'll check out the spreadsheet, but you should update here, as well.  I'll be following.

Will do. I plan on keeping this running.

And, we have our next one in. Morning Cigar, a 4-year-old bay gelding, is entered in a 1 mile 70 yards Allowance Optional Claiming race for $46,000 race at Parx on Tuesday. He is 4th choice with a morning line of 5-1 in a field of 7 (with 1 entry).

We have Morning Cigar running today at Parx. I also added the horse Sharp Cutter to the list because that seems pretty cigar related.

I have also added a column in the spreadsheet for different breeds. I know that there are some Standardbreds that have cigar-related names, and with this column I should be able to eventually determine the ROI depending on breed, track, trainer, jockey/driver, etc.

Needless to say I love working with spreadsheets, although I am sure that there will be some limitations in using the Google Docs version verses Microsoft Excel. But we'll see.

Morning Cigar never seem be fully in the race yesterday but at least held on for 3rd. Paid $2.80 to show, but with $2 across the board that made for a $3.20 loss and a line ROI of -53.33%

The overall ROI on our cigar horses is now -10%, but we'll see how this continues to play out.

Quick update. Acigarisjustacigar is in on Friday at Aqueduct, going 6F on the inner track.

Super Robusto is back, this time going 6F at Laurel for a $5,000 claiming price.

Acigarisjustacigar didn't fare too well today at Aqueduct. He had a pretty rough trip to finish 5th.

That made for a $6 loss today, and unfortunately puts us at a cumulative ROI of -40%. It is still pretty early, though, with only 3 races tracked, but it is a $7.20 loss so far.

But, we do have Super Robusto going tomorrow at Parx and is the 8-5 morning line favorite, so I expect to cash something.

Well, Super Robusto was a vet scratch today, so no action there...

With the cold weather over the past week there were plenty of cancellations, meaning that no cigar-related horses have ran. There have been a few workouts, but nothing as far as results.

Once the spring gets here this will pick up.

I went ahead and added Lighter Fluid today, who raced a few days ago. Came in 3rd, paying $6.60 to show, which is a small profit.

That brings the cumulative ROI to -27.5% right now. 

Better weather will bring more horses into the mix...

Very interesting - I will keep watching - I am planning a trip to OTB on SB Sunday.   Hopefully one of the cigar horses is running.  

Looks like you will get your wish. Arty's Cigar is entered on 1-25 in Race 4 at Tampa Bay Downs. $12,500 claimer going 6 furlongs. No morning line yet. Wish him luck!