• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Illusione Singulare 2014 Annunaki

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
The Illusione Singulare 2014 Annunaki is a great looking cigar.  True to Dion’s naming convention, the Annunaki were ancient Mesopotamian deities that apparently have some connection to the modern conspiracy/UFO culture that runs through the core of Illusione’s branding.  I don’t understand it, but I do understand tasty AGANORSA cigars, so I’m okay with it.  On a side note, I’m hoping the Singulare 2015 is a Petite Edmundo named the “Cartman Gets an Anal Probe” but that’s probably a long shot. 

Levity aside, the Annunaki is a large robusto.  In the hand it almost feels like a Cohiba Siglo VI or a Johnny-O Canonazo.  Normally I prefer narrower ring gauges, but there’s something boss-like about the Canonazo vitola that I dig.  I pair the cigar with a big cup of Café Au Lait in my Boeing totem-logo mug.  Channeling my inner Kingantz, I punch the cigar with my Swiss Army punch.  The wrapper smells of sweet honey, while I get a barnyard aroma from the foot.  There isn’t much flavor in the cold draw.  I toast and light with a single large match.  The Annunaki lights easily producing clouds of blue smoke.  I detect some mineral flavors on the first draw, along with woodiness and white pepper in the back of the throat.  The draw is spot-on.

gallery_7985_1339_12042.jpg

Once the cigar settles down a bit, I am rewarded with continued hardwood (Oak?  Nordic cherry?  Alder?  Brazilian Mahogany?  Let’s just call it oak…) flavors with a definite red-pepper flake finish like you would get with good Thai food.  Not too shabby, but it slowly morphs into a more creamy, milk chocolate flavor with a pronounced bit of green bell pepper on the finish.  There are fleeting notes of bakers’ spices throughout.

On into the second third, the Singulare changes things up a bit.  I get a distinct honey and nut flavor reminiscent of the Epernay, but with a little spice on the end.  There’s also a bit of orange-peel zing there that has me intrigued.  Oak is still sits at the core of the profile of this solidly medium-bodied cigar.

I recharge my coffee and purge the Annunaki as it burns into the final third.  Oak flavors persist, but I’m also getting a bit of a bread/toast note along with some buttery creaminess.  There’s also a bit of black pepper spice here as well.  I take it down to about half an inch and then let it go out.

gallery_7985_1339_18604.jpg

The Singulare 2014 Annunaki is a very good cigar.  I’m a little miffed that the pairing wasn’t as good as I would have liked; a Belgian ale would have gone with the cigar much better than the coffee.  As for the cigar’s flavors, some time will do it well, but for now I think it holds up respectably against the 2013 Rose Croix.  Had I not gone deep on those, I’d probably be getting a box of Annunakis—the flavor profiles and smoking experiences are very similar.  If you didn’t get in on the Rose Croix when they were still around, I think this is a no-brainer box-purchase. 

Great review!  I had one this last weekend and while the tasting notes were pretty close to this review, it just didn't work for me and I was left wanting something else.  Full disclosure: I do not smoke many Illusione so an unfamiliarity with the profile may have contributed to my reaction.

Good review, I'll have to track a few of these down.

Dang, excellent review, Barry. I love Illusione and Dion's exacting palate. I've always thought Aganorsa tobaccos are fantastic. I guess I'll seek out a fiver.

Nice review, thanks!

I'm, a farily decent Illusione fan, I'll be looking for some in the loacl B&M

Thanks, guys.  I've missed the reviews around here lately, so I guess it's up to all of us to put some stuff up from time to time.

Gern Blansten said:
Great review, Barry!

Did you find any similarities to the 2010 Singulare Phantom?

I can see the similarities between the Annunaki and the Phantom.  Many cigar-media types are touting that similarity. 

I wasn't as wowed by the Phantom as most--it was good, but the Rose Croix holds my attention more.  My tastes and I are certainly in the minority there.  I think the Rose Croix is a little more nuanced and complex at this stage.  Maybe I should review it sometime for posterity's sake.

Well done, I will look for some to try.

Thank you for the great review. Scooped up a few thanks to Eric at Jack Schwartz. Your review makes me look forward to enjoying one myself.

Working on one of these right now. While it is a good cigar, it doesn't do enough for me to buy a box with humi space at a premium. I plan on putting my other stick on ice for a year or four and see what happens.

I seem to be a bit more over the moon about these than most. More for me!

Gavin, I'm going to reattack on them again in March with a  better pairing... it wasn't that I didn't like the Annunaki by any means. I just found Rose Croix a better all around smoke, and I went relatively deep on that one.