• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

LA FLOR DOMINICANA - CAPITULO II (6.5X58)

jsm11

Secret Squirrel
La Flor Dominicana Capitulo II (6.5x58) is a new regular release and the successor to the Chapter 1.  This is an imposing cigar and deep red-brown coloring lets you know you in for a treat.  I rated this Cigar an 89 and if you’re looking for an earthy, leathery cigar, chocolaty this stick may be for you.

Cigar: $9.95 (Single Stick)
La Flor Dominicana Capitulo II

Details:
6.5x58

Description of Strength/Profile:
Medium/Full

Smoking Time:
145 Minutes

Cigar Aged:
From the Local B&M to my lips

Cigars Reviewed:
Tobacco:
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Colorado
Binder: Ecuadorian Habano

Wrapper: Dominican

Procurement:
I was forwarded a Chapter one during the Newbie Trade with Kid Montana and I was quite interested in trying the Second Chapter upon seeing it online.  So, I’ve kept my eyes open as I swing by the Local B&M and they finally had them in.  So, I picked one up.

Construction:
Excellent construction and a solid stick, with no soft spots.  Feels overstuffed, solid across the board.  The foot is well packed and the chisel tip is well done.
Pre-light:
Smells like leather and earth.
Tried to pinch the chisel open and failed, no worries in to save the day with my cutter.
Pre-Draw – it’s all barnyard and is effortless…I really like the chisel tip!

Light:
Fire up the tri-flame xicar and let it work.  Lightly toast the foot, raise it and it’s fuming instantly…

Smoke:
Starts off with a strong white pepper.  Tons of smoke billowing from the cigar on the exhale and tons of smoke being produced off the wrapper… I slowly reach over and crack the truck window a little more from its usual position…

1/3:
The initial puffs of white pepper have faded and it’s into what this cigar was made for, it’s all leather and barnyard…              

2/3:

Moving into the second 3rd, I had to look around see if someone was eating chocolates in the cab of the truck.  Nope…just me smoking.  Very discernable transition here into a deep chocolate for about 15-20 puffs.  As the chocolate fades out, it’s back to the leather and barnyard.

3/3:
More leather and barnyard and a tinge of nuttiness.

Rating: 89/100
Construction excellent – I should have taken better pictures and then held a longest ash contest… very solid stick.
Draw – perfect
Burn Good – 1 touch up and nice grey ash that held well beyond the 1” mark.
Smoke – Plentiful, had to actually crack the window more.

I’ll be looking to pick up a 5er, not worthy of a box purchase IMO, but it’s a solid, long smoke for a decent price.  In my experiences it’s classical LFD IMO….

Pics to come this evening

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12395]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12396]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12394]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12393]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12392]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12391]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12390]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12388]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12387]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12386]

I have to say this after posting pictures... that's a beautiful brownish-red hue on the tobacco... :love:

That looks great. I'll try and keep an eye out for them. 

Great review.  The Chapter 1's were pretty good, just not exactly my cup of tea.  Now the Capitulo II is one I've really enjoyed.  It's not as strong as the Chapter 1 and has way more complexity.  If you like La Flor's because they give you that blast of rich, full bodied smoke then the Chapter 1 is the way to go.  I like the way the Capitulo II starts more mild-to-medium and builds to the medium or medium-to-full range.  Great photos, by the way.  The wrapper has a really beautiful rosado hue to it.

Eric

Eric, I agree...

The notes on this stick were a bit different than the notes I took for the Chapter 1.  I agree the difference is primarily related to strength.

Thanks for the comments...

-John

Very nice review, thanks for sharing! A friend of mines gifted me one of these a few months ago and I think that it might be time to set fire to it!

jsm11 said:
Eric, I agree...

The notes on this stick were a bit different than the notes I took for the Chapter 1.  I agree the difference is primarily related to strength.

Thanks for the comments...

-John

I think the Dominican tobaccos with the Connecticut Broadleaf binder on the Chapter 1 was a good start to the blend, just didn't like the Brazilian Oscuro wrapper.  I would have really liked to see a Dominican wrapper on the cigar.  I think it would have retained most of it's strength but it would have lost a little of the harsh bite you get with the Brazilian wrapper.  

Eric

Nice review bro! Quick question about your "barnyard" comparison, is it anything like D.E.'s Kentucky Fire Cured taste? Those are too much like cow manure for my liking.

AshesTwoAshes said:
Nice review bro! Quick question about your "barnyard" comparison, is it anything like D.E.'s Kentucky Fire Cured taste? Those are too much like cow manure for my liking.
nope... not that bad by any means... more earthy than funky...lol

jsm11 said:

nope... not that bad by any means... more earthy than funky...lol

Thanks, I like LFDs so I'll put this one on the list!

Great review!  Thank you for taking the time to inform your BOTL!  Love the LFD's.

[SIZE=11pt]Nice review! According to me, this was an excellent cigar. The draw on this cigar was perfect with the sweetness.[/SIZE]

Forgot to share. I was at a lounge Saturday afternoon, and both of the staff were smoking and GUSHING about this stick. Just raving. I should have walked back inside the walk in and grabbed one.

madurotrout said:
Forgot to share. I was at a lounge Saturday afternoon, and both of the staff were smoking and GUSHING about this stick. Just raving. I should have walked back inside the walk in and grabbed one.

lol....solid stick and I would like to know what they'd be like after 2-3 years sleeping... 

[SIZE=11pt]I really love to smoke this cigar. I easily picked up leather, hay, a hint of coffee, cedar, and several spices.[/SIZE]