• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Personal sharing with my CP Family

Spad31

Previously, on Battlestar Galactica...
Hi all! Been contemplating talking about this here for a while, and tonight just seems like a good time.

I drank heavily for 20+ years. Didn't realize the damage I was doing to myself. I'm talking full-blown functional alcoholic. Never arrested, DUI, job-loss, clearance loss, marriage breakup, etc. Any time day or night for any reason was a GREAT reason to drink.

About a year ago, I was hospitalized overnight for something or other and ended up staying almost a week.

Diagnosed with alcoholic liver disease.

Since then, things have gone from zero to sixty rapidly!

Hospitalized multiple times, cirrhosis is the outcome and I was in bad, bad shape.

I'm currently about to be placed on the Liver Transplant list (final meet with Surgeon Wednesday).

My MELD score is high enough for long enough now that I'm a priority candidate. Could be a day, a week a year...no one knows.

Bottom line:

I did this myself. No one to blame but me. I volunteered for several programs and asked for help. I got it.

I'm not embarrassed or ashamed. It is what it is. Family and friends have been unanimously supportive, and I have a great team of Med professionals helping.

I've been absolutely dry for:
0.28 years, 3.46 months, 106 days, 2,541 hours.

I feel better than I have in a looong time (medical considerations notwithstanding).

Sobriety is a wonderful, beautiful thing and I'll never have another drop.

I do volunteer work now at various programs to help others. I'm saving my own life; if I can help someone save theirs, then I've done my job.

I'm still weak, but color is back to great, appetite is back, getting stronger every day and have a newfound love of life and family. Wife, Son and I are doing great through this, even though the upcoming turmoil is stressful.

I will beat this with "the Gift of Life" and have another 40 years to look forward to!

If ANYONE out there wants to talk or needs guidance, support, etc, PM ME. I'll give you absolutely full contact info, meet with you, whatever. This is important! I struggled/denied for years in silent agony with a smile on my face. Never again!

I love being back here, I love the camaraderie, and I love my every-few days smoke.

Ya'll have a GREAT night and thanks for reading this far!

-Trey

I've been wondering what happened to you. I'll keep you in my prayers bud, good to hear from you.

Glad you're on the mend, Trey.  Good luck with the transplant.

Kudos on your sobriety.  Keep us posted on any new developments, our thoughts are with you.

Thanks for sharing, good luck. I make a contribution once a month at Horseshoe in Bossier if you ever want to share a smoke.

StatHaldol said:
Thanks for sharing, good luck. I make a contribution once a month at Horseshoe in Bossier if you ever want to share a smoke.
I would love to! PM me for contact info and let's do this! Thanks!

-Trey

Spad31 said:

I would love to! PM me for contact info and let's do this! Thanks!

-Trey

PM sent!

May the gods smile upon you and grant you strength and weal.

My older brother drank himself to death.  He was a functional alcoholic, and then a not so functional alcoholic, and then a fucking degenerate alcoholic who drank himself out of a career, a wife, a family, and a future.  In the end, he got an SSI disability, and when the money came in, it took him all of a week and a half to end it all on top shelf 20+ year old Scotch.

You've chosen a better path. I wish you all the best in the world.

~Boar

When I first started reading this I thought... is this another veiled reference to another movie?
I'm glad you got yourself turned around and good luck on the transplant.
It's good to have you back.

Very happy to hear you are on the right track.   I will send some prayers your way - they never hurt.  

Best wishes hopes for a bright future.

It's not like you're alone. When I served, BUMED estimated that 90% of Navy and Marine Corps career personnel were alcoholics. Good luck.

Doc

Nice of you to share and have the strength to do so.  Good Luck, it sounds like you are on the right path and know where you want to go and what is important to you in life.

Devil Doc said:
It's not like you're alone. When I served, BUMED estimated that 90% of Navy and Marine Corps career personnel were alcoholics. Good luck.

Doc
Thanks, Doc.

Best wishes to you and your family.

I have a very good friend that is also on the liver transplant list here in Cali.  He just got board approval to look at moving to New Orleans to get a transplant.  His issues were caused by a prescription medication he was on for an unrelated issue, and caused his liver to quick functioning properly.

The biggest step is acknowledging it and getting help.  Good job...  I wish you all the best.

Rod said:
The biggest step is acknowledging it and getting help.  Good job...  I wish you all the best.
Thanks Rod. Have a great weekend!

-Trey