• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Partagas and Bourne - Midnight Cigar and Cinema Review!

Spad31

Previously, on Battlestar Galactica...
Axl20Stealth.jpg

Evenin'/Mornin' all!

Welcome to Trey's first Midnight Cigar and Cinema Review from my back porch! Glad ya'll could make it!

Up tonight we have the supremely silly and unrealistic, yet addictive Bourne Identity and a Partagas Serie D4 Tubo

Time Hack: 2330hrs. Outside Ambient: 56F / RH: 78% / Fresh ground whole bean Kona med roast coffee w/ a touch of vanilla cream

2x smiley Yellow Labs complete the stage

Let's get our smoke on!

IMG_0675.jpg

Prelight - Wrapper is dark and velvety smooth. Firm but with a slight give under my finger tips. A joy to hold and feel.
             - Punched and tested draw - clean and easy, with light resistance - so far, so good!
             - Flavor impression of prelight draw were promising - no off smell or taste
Light - Toasted foot evenly and smell was just a fresh flame and new burning

1st 1/3 - First draw produced excellent, strong, creamy smoke. Immediate flavor impressions were of dark, earthy and rich Coffee. (Have had first sip of coffee.)
            - Unknown age of tubo, but has been in 65/65 conditions with me for 5 months
            - Absolutely no ammonia or wet/grass taste, suggesting cigar past the sick period - great!

IMG_0680.jpg

T+25 - Flavor has smoothed out. Rich and flavorful, with not a "sugar" impression, rather deep coffee/chocolate/strength hints
         - Retrohale provides excellent smooth mouth/nose feel to smoke and definite peppery/spiced tastes. Smoke waft on cool air smelled like cedar and pepper...very nice!

Bourne is busy looking lost and kicking everyone's ass bare handed with Matrix-fast KungJitsuFuJudoJedi moves...hot German chick...Danke!

T+ 40: 2/3d begins - First clear of smoke through cigar. Next draws are cool and spicy. Good strong/calm tobacco flavor. Continues to pair very well with my coffee.
                               - Flavor has continued to hint at coffee/wooshop, with definite pepper in there.
                               - Burn is even with strong ash, nice rings and not a bit of dropping or running

IMG_0684.jpg

Bourne continues confused look and decides to continue spinning around and noting that he can tie his shoes. How does he know this and not know who he is?
WE MUST FIND OUT! (after the bathroom/coffee refill break. You only rent coffee, you know...)

T+ 60 Final 3d begins - Flavor/burn hasn't changed much..not sure how to describe the maturing faint hints...dark roasted almonds? A little very faint citrus/sharp bite, maybe. Whatever it was, it tasted great!

Final thoughts: First PSD4 really concentrated on and tasted/felt. Been about 6 years since my last one, and didn't have any idea what I had at the time. Only real impressions then were that it was an immediate favorite, just didn't know why.

Smoked this one to the label, no burn/draw issues at all throughout. Cleared smoke twice before finishing and dropped ash once, with a small shaping of it late in the smoke. 1 relight after a too-long in-house intermission. Camera batt dead! D'oh! (Mission note: bring phone charger for laptop outside next time. *shakes tiny fist*)

Bourne smooches on hot German chick, takes on entire government and wins. He's all he can be with his super Secret Squirrel treadstone-ninja skills.

Total time for PSD4 about 100 minutes. Not a quick smoke, but a slow, long, relaxed home-alone-outside-in the cool-night-air smoke!

Okay! We're done here! I look forward to comments, spears, random off-topic interruptions and anything else ya'll want to contribute!

-Trey

Hah! Well done. Love PSD4! I love them fresh most but after a few years they come back into their own.
Great movie. I read the book many years before the movie. A great read as are many of Ludlam's books.

Great review man! Love the description of the smoke and the movie.

PSD4's are awesome!

C

Very nice and clear review, matches my feelings about this cigar.

Nice review and love the style, very much YOU, military style with a touch of humor....

Well done!

Great review Trey. I have got to pick one of these up to try for myself now. I may pass on picking up a copy of Bourne though  ;)

Spad31 said:
*squinty eye at the Monk*

oh shit...  ???

I just fired up "Zero Effect" Havent seen it since 1998. You might like it. I really enjoyed it at the time.