• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oliva Melanio and Sherlock - Trey's Cinema and Smoke Review

Spad31

Previously, on Battlestar Galactica...
Hiyo Gang!

Welcome to Monday, April 13th 2015 and my continuing love affair with cigars and cinema! Started off blah and crappy...ended beautifully (the weather, NOT the cigar!).

So, up today is the Oliva Series V Melanio Robusto and S1 Ep1 of BBC's Sherlock. Elementary pairing!

Time hack: 2000Z(1500L) hrs / Outside Ambient 71F / RH 72% - Vis 5+ mi / 3kt NNW winds / High Clouds

The Melanio. C.A.'s #1 for 2014. Never tried one, of course, so here we go!

IMG_0757.jpg

Right off the bat I was very impressed. The cigar felt like velvet. Seriously. Sounds a little strange, but the wrapper was so smooth and soft over a firmer binder and filler...the box-pressed shape only added to the effect.

Smelled fantastic after resting a week in my wineador. I just couldn't wait any longer...had to smoke one of them!

Punch and pre-light draw very both very smooth and easy. A dry, breezy, light wood scent from the cigar unlit. Mild, good smelling tobacco flavor on my nose. Not a bit of wet smell at all. Clearly very well made and taken care of before it made it to me.

In case you've missed out, Sherlock is the contemporary take on Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson in present day London. Fantastic casting and the chemistry between Sherlock and Watson (Benedict Cumberbatch/Martin Freeman) from the first moment is brilliant. Absolutely a show to Netflix if you're any kind of fan of the classic series of books. From the dialog, to the settings/scenarios, and the rapidity of Sherlock's read and assessment of Watson (Army Doctor; just returned from Afghanistan) at their first meeting is great fun. Very smart show. "A Study in Pink" kicks the show off for first episode, just as the books. If you've read the classic works, you'll recognize and appreciate the dialog and descriptions. Dr. Watson's blog, as mentioned in the show in future episodes is HERE, and goes through the first case (episode) in perfect detail. Note: THIS BLOG IS A SPOILER! Fantastic external bit of show canon.

First light of the Melanio produced spice and leather almost immediately. Not a bit of harshness or rough edge. Plenty of satisfying smoke on the breeze outside for a great start.

This is what life should be about: sunny, warm weather, not too hot/not too-cold, smiling Labs playing, a good show to watch and a good cigar, while the Honey dozes in the hammock, immune to the wine spillage curse. A giant pitcher of iced tea with a touch of lemon completes the circle. I can already tell this one is going to be good.

The first third goes by quicker than I thought. Not clock-wise, but just seemed to go fast, like a great meal...hard to just be patient and enjoy it slowly! I don't WANT to wait a bit between pulls! We're about 20 minutes in. Cigar had no young, immature taste or mouth feel at all...started with the "sweet spot" and just never quit! Many different tastes/hints in the gentle circular draw that just felt perfect with this smoke. Woody and dark in the mouth and light and spicy on the nose at the same time.

Quick restroom trip...cigar even smelled good on my clothes inside the house. First time I've experienced that. Outdoorsy, woodshop/cedar/spice. Not at all that "smoker's smell" that often gets worried about.

Still lazily lit and burning evenly, the flavors have a hint of cinnamon (?) spiciness. Smoke is still creamy and smooth. Burn is perfect, with no touch up required.

IMG_0760.jpg

"PINK!"

Second third and the flavors continue to merge and mellow, with chocolate and nutty characters underneath a deep relaxing good-smelling Earth taste. No hot burn or harshness at all. Ash remains strong and doesn't feel delicate at all; no danger of dropping.

I love the visual flashes of Sherlock's thought train and subtle way of letting the audience know exactly what's happening to each character perfectly without resorting to filming an actual discussion between characters. Examples would be the opening moments where "wrong" is shown to appear on multiple cell phone texts simultaneously (no actual screenshot of each phone) to the running map in Sherlock's head as they navigate London. Nifty little piece of direction style in the show. Portends good things to come...

...much like my Melanio. Deep into the second third now, and the lower band has been removed.  I can see by the clock time is going to run out for my cigar and I before we're completely finished with each other. Lily, the little girly Lab has decided to run in the creek and does several Spetnaz  backflips over and around Murphy, our big boy Lab. Both need baths! White bathroom carpeting! I'll let 'em play up here on the porch for a few more luxurious minutes with this cigar.

IMG_0762.jpg

Mystery is solved, with a twist even the blog doesn't reveal... ;) Watson won't wait for long though before Sherlock's baffling mind has them off again together for another, deeper mystery. Who IS this Moriarty fellow anyway?

Topless now, the Melanio is the perfect sultry temptress who's inviting me to try her friends as I finish and carefully collect the bands...Alas, I cannot. Parting is such sweet sorrow. 'Til next time, Love!

Will absolutely pick up a box of these in this size, and I have two more of differing to try as well. If they're anywhere near as choice as this one has been, they're already winners.

IMG_0763.jpg

Hope everyone had as much fun reading and "being here" as I imagined the CP Gang HERFing on the back porch. Epic!

Good night, God Bless, Good Hunting and Check Six

-Trey

Edited to fix grammar, as I was raised by wolves in the Australian outback.

Thanks for the review.  Got a box of those coming in the next day or two.

Excellent review man! Well done. I like the Melanio, it's pretty damn good, I also have a soft spot for Oliva serie O Sungrown Habanos. To me, both of these blends are damn near perfect, they are consistent as hell and priced right. In my opinion, you can't ask for much more.

C

Nice! Have had a couple in the humidor for a bit but haven't tried one. Will smoke one really soon, but the thought of really liking yet another brand is a little scary, lol.

Wolves + Outback + grammar = funny.

Great review. And amusing meta humor. :)

Very nice review Trey....these will have to be in my buying list.... Since we usually have tastes in cigars that are pretty close, I will take your word and all the good reviews I have read seriously and try to buy a box when I have the chance!

Ps: clip your nails, seriously...

Lol!

Great review...and wait till you get into the second season of Sherlock...my favorite series in a while.

Excellent, Trey! I haven't tried the Melanio although, I have a box of Petit Coronas. I'll need to get on that task.
Absolutely love Sherlock. The writing is great but the Actors, especially B. C. (Kahn) ;-) are superb.

Yep. Sherlock is awesome. I have all the seasons, just doing a rewatch.

-Trey

Very nice write Trey. You sound like Clancy. I enjoy the Oliva, the Saison, the V series and the Master Blend 3. Good stuff.

Pugman1943 said:
Very nice write Trey. You sound like Clancy. I enjoy the Oliva, the Saison, the V series and the Master Blend 3. Good stuff.
Wow! That was an unexpectedly prescient compliment! I've met Mr. Clancy and love his work. Thank you, Sir!

-Trey

Great review, Trey!  The Melanio WAS an underappreciated line until CA had to go and spoil that. 

The Robusto and the Petit Corona are my favorite vitolas.  I get very similar flavors out of this as I do the Illusione ~2~... kind of a salty, peanut butter note.  Delicious!  Box-worthy all day long.

Great pairing and great review! I've looked at the Melanio on the humidor shelves my last half dozen visits to the B&M and hadn't pulled the trigger on a couple of them yet.  Will fix that oversight this weekend!

~Boar

Not A Nice Person said:
Great pairing and great review! I've looked at the Melanio on the humidor shelves my last half dozen visits to the B&M and hadn't pulled the trigger on a couple of them yet.  Will fix that oversight this weekend!

~Boar
Hey Boar...I think you'll dig 'em. I just ordered some more. Got a couple larger ones thrown in as well...I'm usually a Rosusto-size guy, but in this case...!

-Trey

It's a great cigar with a deep, toasty smoke and there is a generous aroma and hints of coffee, earth, wood and spice.