• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lost Words & Phrases

Pugman1943

Something from mine, and I expect Doc's younger years. Hope some of you might enjoy.

WORDS AND PHRASES REMIND US OF THE WAY WE WORD

by Richard Lederer

About a month ago, I illuminated old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases included dont touch that dial, carbon copy, you sound like a broken record and hung out to dry. A bevy of readers have asked me to shine light on more faded words and expressions, and I am happy to oblige:

Back in the olden days we had a lot of moxie. Wed put on our best bib and tucker, and straighten up and fly right. Hubba-hubba! Wed cut a rug in some juke joint and then go necking and petting and smooching and spooning and billing and cooing and pitching woo in hot rods and jalopies in some passion pit or lovers lane. Heavens to Betsy! Gee whillikers! Jumpin Jehoshaphat! Holy moley! We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley, and even a regular guy couldnt accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but whens the last time anything was swell? Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes and pedal pushers. Oh, my aching back. Kilroy was here, but he isnt anymore.

Like Washington Irvings Rip Van Winkle and Kurt Vonneguts Billy Pilgrim, we have become unstuck in time. We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, Ill be a monkeys uncle! or This is a fine kettle of fish! we discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, poof, poof go the words of our youth, the words weve left behind. We blink, and theyre gone, evanesced from the landscape and wordscape of our perception, like Mickey Mouse wristwatches, hula hoops, skate keys, candy cigarettes, little wax bottles of colored sugar water and an organ grinders monkey.

Where have all those phrases gone? Long time passing. Where have all those phrases gone? Long time ago: Pshaw. The milkman did it. Think about the starving Armenians. Bigger than a bread box. Banned in Boston. The very idea! Its your nickel. Dont forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper. Turn-of-the-century. Iron curtain. Domino theory. Fail safe. Civil defense. Fiddlesticks! You look like the wreck of the Hesperus. Cooties. Going like sixty. Ill see you in the funny papers. Dont take any wooden nickels. Heavens to Murgatroyd! And awa-a-ay we go!

Oh, my stars and garters! It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter had liver pills.

This can be disturbing stuff, this winking out of the words of our youth, these words that lodge in our hearts deep core. But just as one never steps into the same river twice, one cannot step into the same language twice. Even as one enters, words are swept downstream into the past, forever making a different river.

We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeful times. For a child each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective memory. Its one of the greatest advantages of aging. We can have archaic and eat it, too.

See ya later, alligator!

And puns still hurt! ;)

Languages are always morphing, English more than many

That was a fun read. It had more unused phrases than Carter has liver pills. A bunch were before my time (I was born in '65) though. 

Thanks for posting Pug...It's your dime.

I used the expression "6 of 1, half dozen of the other" around my coworkers one time and got a bunch of clueless stares. We are all within a few years age of each other, too. I've never hated them more.

The Black Cloud said:
I used the expression "6 of 1, half dozen of the other" around my coworkers one time and got a bunch of clueless stares. We are all within a few years age of each other, too. I've never hated them more.
They never heard of a dozen eggs? Even if I'd never heard the expression, I think I could figure that one out.

oke&coke said:
That was the bee's knees Pug.

Speaking of bees, when I was a kid, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. I didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

tomthirtysix said:

Speaking of bees, when I was a kid, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. I didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Speaking of quarters, who here has heard of two bits?

oke&coke said:

Speaking of quarters, who here has heard of two bits?

We can stick her in a trailer, drive around the south, and charge two bits a gander!

Fun read, a few of them were indeed before my time, but my Dad used them.  I guess that and a dime 'll get you a cup of coffee.

Oke, you started this so I'll add to it, two bits, four bits, six bits a dollar, all for ( ????? ) stand up and holler. Then of course we have a saw buck and a double saw buck. I'll clue you in here, the older paper money was larger by about 25%. On the back of a $10 was one very large X, hence the sawbuck. Yes, if you thought ahead the back of the old $20 had two XX, again, the double sawbuck.

And for those of you who are about to say how old I am, they went out of circulation about 1934, so I'm not THAT old!

Pugman1943 said:
Yes, if you thought ahead the back of the old $20 had two XX, again, the double sawbuck.

We had to call it a double sawbuck because the Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty." 

I grew up in the streets of Brooklyn. One of my favorites was "get bent"

If we are talking slang then I use the follow:
Wicked (from the NE)
Y'all / holler/ yonder (southern)
Dude (?)
Knarly / dope (west)
Crazy / solid ( I'm guessing East)