• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In KC area this week.

JHolmes763

Drinkin' the koolaid
I'll be in KC this week, Monday through Wednesday. Staying in Liberty. Anyone want to meet up for a smoke? Hit Outlaw? Any places I should hit up for good food?

John

Just seeing this....might be able to sneak out for a bit thus evening to Outlaw, will have to check. Wish I knew more about restaurants in Liberty....for cheap and quick, Longboards is a good place for wraps, and the Brass Rail gets decent reviews for bar/grill food. Seva Indian restaurant gets raves if you're into that. Down closer to Outlaw there are more options in Zona Rosa...Ixtapa for Mexican, and down 64th in Parkville if you're into Sushi, Sakae (not Saki right by Outlaw) is the best in KC. Corner Cafe in Riverside for homestyle artery damage. Depending on how far you eant to travel and what type of food you like, other than a couple of sports teams, food is the primary form of entertainment here.

Should mention just in case someone from KC sees this and calls me out...my #1 restaurant here is The Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange at 1924 Main St. If you like strong/craft cocktails, Manifesto is a speakeasy style bar located in the basement and is worth checking out.

Which Outlaw? I'm in Overland Park today and will try to head to one after 5.

I live about 5 minutes from the North Location, if I can get out tonight will probably not be till about 7-730. If you need any specific food/drink/entertainment info, feel free to email me- zeemanb@yahoo.com. Will be offline in mtgs till tonight but will have email.

zeemanb said:
Should mention just in case someone from KC sees this and calls me out...my #1 restaurant here is The Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange at 1924 Main St. If you like strong/craft cocktails, Manifesto is a speakeasy style bar located in the basement and is worth checking out.

I have been watching this to see where you recommend, I get to KC fairly often as I have children attending university there.  I am interested in what you like from the Rieger menu.  Haven't been there myself but I looked at the menu on line so I just thought I would ask what things you like as I may venture there in the next few weeks.
PS I met John a few weeks ago in STL and he like to eat well and is rather kind of a beer connoisseur.  I visited the Outlaw north a couple of weeks ago on a short notice trip to KC and always enjoy having a smoke there.

Check out Rock N Run in Liberty.   Food is average bar fare, but their beer selection is very good.     The Farmhouse Funk and Saminator are two of my favorites they make there.

golfgar said:

I have been watching this to see where you recommend, I get to KC fairly often as I have children attending university there.  I am interested in what you like from the Rieger menu.  Haven't been there myself but I looked at the menu on line so I just thought I would ask what things you like as I may venture there in the next few weeks.

PS I met John a few weeks ago in STL and he like to eat well and is rather kind of a beer connoisseur.  I visited the Outlaw north a couple of weeks ago on a short notice trip to KC and always enjoy having a smoke there.
The new menu will be starting soon at The Rieger, but any of the pastas are great, they do great things with pork and rabbit, and always have nightly specials that screw up your original plan. Softshell crabs should pop up soon. I'm a mix of fine dining and pretty low-rent dives...Rieger is my favorite, Novel just up the street is another, the Lounge at Bluestem kills it, Farmhouse in the River Market, Room 39, Rye out south in Mission Farms, Pig & Finch out that way too. For special occasions, The American and dining room at Bluestem are my top 2. If you are ever way north, Justus Drugstore in Smithville is pretty special. Message or email me whenever you head this way and I can really dial it in based on what you're up for as far as what is good on whatever menu at that time. As far as ordering at The Rieger, best plan is usually just telling your server if there's anything you don't like or any allergies, and have them put together a tasting menu.

As far as the beer thing, I have no idea but I put a shout out to my beer super-nerd friends for some solid intel.  I never got into it when I drank because I could never find one that was from Kentucky and 90+ proof, but a good friend of mine wrote a book "The KC Ale Trail" that is a pretty exhaustive resource lining out all of our many micro-breweries.  Beer dinners have been a big trend at the top restaurants in town for the last couple of years, so I know it's a crowd that is pretty well served here.

From the aforementioned author just now.... "Beer brunch at Happy Gillis. Beer (varied, upscale selection) and light eats at The Belfry. Beer (great selection) and light eats at Bier Station in Waldo. For hearty eats with varied beer selection, try Beer Kitchen or The Foundry at McCoy's. The Foundry and McCoy's has patio space for cigar smoking. North of the river, venture over to Rock & Run Brewery in Liberty. They have 40 taps (10 house beers, 30 rotating) with wood-fired pizza and good sandwiches. Tapcade has a nice beer selection and a limited menu with wraps. Helen's JAD in NKC is a great dive with 2 smoking decks, 30 beers (15 on tap), and great food. Or, head south close to me and visit Martin City Brewing Company and Martin City Pizza & Tap Room, where you can have your fill of locally brewed beer, other fine craft beers on tap, wood-fired pizza, upscale pub food and patios at each space."   One note I'll add- the owner of Happy Gillis, Josh Eans, is a certified Cicerone and the nicest guy ever....he'll talk beer all day every day.  

Rock n run is only 10 minutes away. I'll def check that out.

Heading to Outlaw now.

Just want to say thanks to Jerry, Brad and Brent for the good food, smokes and conversation. See you again in a few weeks.

Great to meet up with you, let's hit a patio for some food and smokes next time!

I'll be back the week of the 18th for a night or two. Name the spot!

Well zeemanb, I have reservations for the hotel on Saturday.  Hope the wife and family like it, I think I will.

golfgar said:
Well zeemanb, I have reservations for the hotel on Saturday.  Hope the wife and family like it, I think I will.
The Rieger just started the new menu last week, we won't be in to try it until next Saturday night. For a first timer, the pork soup is a must. Things I'd get just from looking are the bruschetta,all the pastas but risotto for sure, beet salad, rabbit and smoked pork entrees. And then whatever my wife wants, lol. If nobody orders chicken, tell them you want a side dish of that Prairie Tomme pomme aligot....mashed potatoes from another dimension.

I'll be back next week. I'll have Monday and Tuesday evenings open. Wed evening is dinner with boss, who is coming into town for the day. Fly out Thurs morning, I think. Let me know if you want to meet up. I'll have to review your suggestions for a place to take the boss and my two trainers.

I'm going to be working late tomorrow night for sure, but hoping to be able to get out on Tuesday evening.  Will see how it's looking Tue morning and let you know.