• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for book/author recomends

mmburtch

Sleep deprived and cranky
I am a voracious reader and have run out of books/authors.  I prefer novels, as I read for entertainment.  I prefer authors that research well, so there is a chance I will learn something as well. If there is a chronology to the story, I generally read the first book through the last.

I have read most of Nelson DeMille, Richard North Patterson, Dean Koontz, Patricia Cornwall, George R R Martin, Ken Follett and Tolkien.  

Any winners out there I have missed?  Corner bookstore owner picks?

TIA

P.S. Anything Gary suggests will likely be smut and instantly move to the top of the list.

Odd as it may sound, Clan of the cavebear. "Earth's Children" is the entire series. Written by Jean M Aeul.

Historically accurate (as can be) and meticulously researched. Worth the look.

-Trey

You Read "Ender's Game" and related?

Spad31 said:
Odd as it may sound, Clan of the cavebear. "Earth's Children" is the entire series. Written by Jean M Aeul.

Historically accurate (as can be) and meticulously researched. Worth the look.

-Trey

Spad31 said:
You Read "Ender's Game" and related?

Read and read

I love to sit down with book and a cigar! If you liked Nelson DeMille you'll probably like David Baldacci and Kyle Mills. On the same plain but a little wilder is the Pendergast Series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs. Its about very peculiar FBI Agent residing in NYC. As far as following stick historical facts while telling a great story go with Leon Uris; I've read The Haj, Trinity and The Exodus, all of them were great and explained more about the subject history than any history book I've ever had to read.   

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.  If you grew up in the 80's, this is a must read!  Coworker told me about it last week, I finished it in a day.  Spielberg is going to direct the movie for this book soon.  It's a blend of the matrix, charlie and the chocolate factory, and everything 80's.

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

I also liked CS Friedman's Dark Sun Rising trilogy.  She's got a unique writing style that's refreshing.

If you don't mind something a little depressing: 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant' by Stephen Donaldson. The first book is only okay, but the second and third ones are fantastic.

Gavin said:
If you don't mind something a little depressing: 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant' by Stephen Donaldson. The first book is only okay, but the second and third ones are fantastic.
That brings me back to my childhood. Ahh yes, the joys of leprosy.

Neil Stephenson is another good suggestion when it comes to cyberpunk scifi. He also has a fun and epic trilogy that is part semi-historical in nature.

Reading "Ready Player One" currently and it's not to bad.

Just finished "The Martian" which is based in a lot of NASA facts. It was a very good book, read it from cover to cover in two days.

Have you read, Starship Troops by Robert Heinlein...it will really make you hate the move.

Some other random titles would be "World War Z" and the Posleen War series by John Ringo. May not be the most polished books but I enjoyed them.

ETA:

Clive Clusser might be what you are looking for as well

Twilight.

Kidding. No banhamner for me, plz.

[emoji12]

Breedy said:
Reading "Ready Player One" currently and it's not to bad.

Just finished "The Martian" which is based in a lot of NASA facts. It was a very good book, read it from cover to cover in two days.

Have you read, Starship Troops by Robert Heinlein...it will really make you hate the move.

Some other random titles would be "World War Z" and the Posleen War series by John Ringo. May not be the most polished books but I enjoyed them.

ETA:

Clive Clusser might be what you are looking for as well

Ahhh yeah, Heinlein is another favorite author of mine.  He's a little dated but he's a great story teller.  Stranger in a strange land, Number of the beast, The puppet masters.

America's greatest novel, Moby Dick by Herman Melville. I've read it five times. I'll probably read it once more. It's more than a sea story. Some folks have trouble reading 19th century lit, but if you can get past it, it's well worth your time. You also might want to go back and read some of the books you were supposed to read in high school, Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby and Henry V come to mind.

Doc

Colin Dexter; Inspector Morse Series

Patrick O'Brian - The Aubrey - Maturin Series

Edited to add the sea stories

Devil Doc said:
America's greatest novel, Moby Dick by Herman Melville. I've read it five times. I'll probably read it once more. It's more than a sea story. Some folks have trouble reading 19th century lit, but if you can get past it, it's well worth your time. You also might want to go back and read some of the books you were supposed to read in high school, Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby and Henry V come to mind.

Doc
Doc's going old school on ya.

Get back into The Iliad and Odyssey!

Then again - you an go deep and start attacking windmills too...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11935/11935-h/11935-h.htm

*check out Blake!